utorrent working with other net protocols (xp-sp3) - how to ?!!

Registered

For long time user of xp with service pack one. Recently updated to service pack 3 but have stubbled on a problem, i hope someone can help with.

With with xp-sp1 i could tell the windows firewall use this protocol for this port number (such as udp 1234 and tcp 5678). But with xp-sp3 i have none of those options, even xp-sp3 firewall scope doesn't offer a protocol choice to use for port.

How to make x program use udp and utorrent use tcp with xp-sp3 firewall ?

I don't know XP SP3 but you have surely tested:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Windows Firewall

In Vista, you have a console management for the firewall, it's cmd > WF.msc, and you can set the port/protocol program by program.

Anyway uT is able to add its exceptions itself in Win FW.

But you should ask MS boards, you'll find more help.

Thanks for your reply, given that others here don't know. I'll take it as a given thing it's not possible to do with xp3. Why ms make things stupid as os versions progress, unless xp firewall is serverly flawed in sp1 or sp2 and sp3 is attempt to fix it. No worry will revert back to sp1 and leave it there, it works and thats all i'm needing for it to do.

Thanks again ;)

Won't run vista or os7 (which is vista !). Have some older hardware that manufactres havent updated. While also use a small 4gb drive for this pc, no problem xp sp1 to sp3 but would be for greater os than xp. With having other softwares installed on same os drive (program files).

Have a saved imaged before xp sp3 (over install). Would just need firefox folder (now) copied to xp1 after backup sector image the drive replacing. And do a file compare (image to drive) be make sure i've not installed anything newer since installing xp3. A good idea i think to do a sector image of drive as is now, incase missing something later, not realised would need from file comparing.

XP SP1 is still the best, very few if any driver issues, stable, smaller footprint than vista - win7. Does give use better firewall options for more control. [Only that now xp is no longer maintained by microsoft, no more updates.]

Only swapped up to SP3 to test out software that had problems with xp1 updating via the net. Still has problems and on a friends pc does the same with win7 (software developers don't care, least now know the problem is there).

[needs verifing if only xp sp1 or all xp service packs]

Archived