Senzune

THE PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED. PLEASE READ THE 2 POSTS FOR INFORMATION

Current setup:

Windows 7 (32 bit & 64 bit)

AMD Athlon X2 with 64 bit support

Foxconn A6VMX

ATI Radeon HD3450 - Default driver by Windows 7

Realtek RTL8010E - Default driver by Windows 7

Installed applications: Google Chrome, NOD32 3.0.642.0, uTorrent 2.0 build 18620

No updates from Windows Update

Problem: Random disconnects using uTorrent

Details: Sometimes I get minutes of stable connection, before it gets lost and it takes about 10 to 30 seconds to reset itself.

Sometimes, it just takes under a minute before the problem occurs.

Occurs more:

When I have multiple torrents

When download and upload speeds increase

Occurs less:

When I download one torrent at a time

When I have multiple torrents, but lower values for qeueing

Does not occur with:

Windows XP 32 bit with default XP lan driver

Windows XP 32 bit with Realtek lan driver

Windows XP 32 bit with lan driver by Windows Update

All of the above without Updates

All of the above with Updates

All of the above, on 2 other computers with Windows 7 and XP, one having the same network card

Does occur with:

Windows 7 32 bit with default 7 lan driver

Windows 7 32 bit with Realtek 7 lan driver

Windows 7 32 bit with lan driver by Windows Update

Windows 7 64 bit with default 7 lan driver

Windows 7 64 bit with Realtek 7 lan driver

Windows 7 64 bit with lan driver by Windows Update

All of the above without Updates

All of the above with Updates

Random results:

Setting a higher connection limit in both peers and global, the connection fluctuates and either gets boosted or dropped

Setting a lower connection limit in both peers and global, the connection fluctuates and either gets boosted or dropped

Either of the first four settings in BitTorrent tab disabled or enabled does not fix the problem

Lowering download and upload values only delays the problem for seconds

Lowering the amount of connections only delays the problem for seconds

Using either a dynamic local IP or static local IP does not fix the problem

My ISP does not throttle or mess with the torrent protocol

The above problem was solved by updating to the beta client of 27th March 2010.

Changes made from build 18620 to 18786, from 2.0 stable to 2.0.1 beta, are responsible for this fix.

I can't tell which of the fixes mentioned in the changelog is associated with the above fix, and perhaps it isn't mentioned in the changelog at all. Since I've been researching this problem for a while now, with finding a fix today, I thought it would be useful to post so others won't have to spend time on it.

I hope that, as what a beta is for, this information is helpful for further development.

• 5 weeks later...

Apparently, the problem is back. No changes were made except for updating to a new version of uTorrent. Then, hell broke loose again.

Is it the update? Nope, the problem occurs on many more torrent applications.

Is it my router/modem? Nope, the problem does not occur with the same applications and the same OS on a different computer.

Is it my computer? Yes.

I installed the update for the realtek driver, as provided by Windows Update. This does not solve the problem.

I rolled back the driver, and installed the realtelk driver as provided by the realtek website. This also didn't solve anything.

Something is causing the connection between this computer and the router/modem to be disconnected. It is not likely that either the router, used to split connections in order to have multiple pc's on the network, or the modem, is responsible for the problem. I confirmed this by switching cables so I am directly connected to the modem, or on the other port of the router. 2/3 other pc's, 1 having the same realtek network card with Windows 7, and 1 running XP, both had stable torrent connections, independent of which port they are connected to.

It is this specific computer where the problem lies.

The problem does not seem to be altered by the amount of connections anymore. The problem didn't occur for a while having the same setup, while Windows 7 was in it's early days.

Which gets me to think that common updates in torrent applications are somehow not compatible with this computer.

It isn't the RAM, I recently changed to 2x2GB from a 3rd party.

Could the hard disk be responsible somehow? The processor?..

Another note, I just noticed a suspicious link between browsing the web and opening new pages, and the connection losing while uTorrent is running. It occurs at random as well, but this might indicate something for you experts out there.

Here is a link to the dxdiag report I just saved, this might be useful.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tqmutyrym1y

Archived