µTorrent 2.0.2 released

Firon

@PanMan - yes. setting the upload limit is good enough. make sure you are not mixing up bits/sec and Bytes/sec. Results and setup-guide is in bits/sec and setting in preferences are in Bytes/sec.

Also, with a 1:10 connection like yours - if you like to max your connection speed, you need to disabled "pref->BitTorrent->bandwidth management" since download overhead (toward your upload) with uTP in 2.01 is much higher now then 10% (15-25%) . I hope the devs will work on that in 2.02 (@Firon ?)

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in all new future versions of uT, nice will be forcing users to redo a uTorrent Speed guide, when uT will find that you use older version... :)

Also how about adding in preferences a button like this:

-Restore default settings for this tab

-Restore all settings to uT defaults

It will be a faster way for novice users to restore default uT settings and only way to still have the same statistic with it... :P

you can not FORCE anything on anyone, unless uT will automatically adjust parameters. As I remember, uT does pop up the guide on first 2.01 run (and the user closes it on insstict...).

They've just forgot to add a message like - "doing this guide is good for your Internet health" :P

I just have to say that, this release didn't work for me. I even started to really getting desperate when I didn't find my old good 2.0 version (build 18488), but thank god I found it.

I checked and re-checked every advanced settings that you guys explain in detail about version 2.0.1 but no mater what, my download speed for a 3 Mbit connection with the new version its around 60Kb/s. When I start the 2.0 version torrents immediately jump to 300 Kb/s download speed. It is just perfect the way it was. I don't know why the new version changes were so catastrophic to the download speed or overhead but none of the advanced settings I tried worked at all.

Sorry, I will stick to the old version that is working perfectly for me without the need to manually configure anything or even reading forums just to download at my current connection speed.

Anyway, as always, GOOD WORK, on uTorrent its a great program, but there a many many problems with this new version and I don't think every user will care about the advanced settings, if it does not work out of the box as the previous version, it is a serious problem.

To Developers: PLEASE, keep a LINK in your main download page to the 2.0 version !, every link I found in the forums to 2.0 version actually downloads 2.0.1 !

EDIT: disabling net.calc_overhead actually solved my problem, please disable it by default!

@Enlight/giogio1: my bet is that your upload speed limit is set too low (now that overhead is calculated toward the total speed). It's as simple as that. Just try to increase it a bit (maybe, per the setup guide).

I just upgraded to latest version and am quite confused. Please can you tell me what are the changed letters in status bar? U/O/T. I am confused! :-O

@rafi

NO. I had the exact same problem with 2.0.1, low speeds, "wave" download pattern, never hitting top speed, and just general buggyness. I tried every damn suggestion i could find in the support forums, I fiddled with my router settings, I did EVERYTHING i could think of, and still no luck. I finally got tired and removed 2.0.1, reinstalled 1.8.5 and lo and behold, everything works perfectly again. No "waves", no low download speeds, hitting 2.2 MB/s easily.

Conclusion: 2.0 generally broke things in a very bad way, and 2.0.1 didn't fix anything. I'm gonna keep using 1.8.5 for the foreseeable futurure. IF 2.x ever gets fixed i'll switch, but i'm not holding my breath. It's just not worth the hassle, and there are no compelling features yet that would make me want to go through this again.

@Blargharg: you were probably logged in under a different username...

I very much doubt that you cannot get similar performance with 2.01 with "proper" setups. Some of those setups can even fully revert you to 1.8.5 default confiuration.... ;)

I do agree that there might be issues in here that must require none-default setup, and that it is a bit too much to ask from some ordinary users to fiddle with setups...

Sure, it is completely up to you to assess if it worth the hassle to keep up with supported/latest versions or not. You are also welcome to try my tips here...

@rafi

Yeah, I tried all your tips, no luck. I just don't have the time or the patience to try every possible combination to get this thing up to performance levels of 1.8.5, and I'm betting a lot of other people don't want the hassle either. That's why it's broken. This thing needed to stay in beta much longer, until these kinds of problems are fixed. This way, a lot of ppl upgraded cause the program prompted them to, and now they have to deal with all these stupid issues, where there were none in 1.8.5... I love uTorrent to death, but the team screwed the pooch on this one. I just hope they fix it soon.

Long enough to make it usable for stupid people (=99% of internet users). They're also the majority of people who use µtorrent, and they would like to see that stable version would automatically upload the set limit and would not stop somewhere between 80-90%. They would also see that you shouldn't need to even touch any settings -other than speed guide.

So... Yeah, longer than a year. As long as it takes to actually make new version that download faster than the previous, or atleast so it wouldn't download slower than any other previous version (this is the catch: find a version that makes it slower and I'll clap 1 hand and give you 42 candy).

Edit: I... can't.... write... Well, I'm part of the majority to say the least

As long as it takes to do it right. Final builds HAVE to be stable and as bug-free as possible. Otherwise what's the point of having a beta to begin with? Also, these broken builds are detrimental to user confidence, if it continues pretty soon you'll have people jumping ship. I've been using uTorrent since, well basically day one. The first version I used was 1.2.x, and I've always stuck with it, but this is one of the worst builds in recent memory. It just can't be defended and I don't understand why anyone would want to when the devs themselves said it's buggy as hell.

I'm sure I read it recently in relation to 2.0 final, but I really don't feel like digging through thousands of posts just to prove a point. You need only look at the troubleshooting section of this forum to see that bug reports have increased exponentially since 2.0 final, with no end in sight.

@sim21:

That means you were not able to connect to the last tracker that uTorrent tried. Check each tracker on each torrent, and if NONE of them have connected, then troubleshoot your internet connection. It's not necessarily a problem with uTorrent.

Blargharg: I'm sure I read it recently

I do remember reading it in reference to the current 2.1, so you might be confusing it with that ... and the troubleshooting section is always with many reports when any new version with new features is out.

I'm not saying there are no issues here, and my reports of such are in the forums too... But many of the posts are from people that do not know how to adjust for the new features. I would say that 2 out of those 4 are real issues:

1. New overhead calculation issue - is a small but widely spread and annoying issue [needs simple re-adjusting of the speed limits]

2. Win7 issues [iPV6 ? unknown ?] - this is a real unresolved issue

3. Win cache issues, caused by a new file handling method [solved by simple disabling of the Win write/read caches, partly done automatically]

4. Overhead size increase due to uTP - another real issue, that I think should be optimized, but can be easily bypassed [by turning uTP off]

New features will always cause support-calls/posts. It's part of the evolution...

I hope the upgrade tips guide that was posted helps a bit too... :)

Why my post be deleted ???

Am i say something not polite or am i offense some one with my says ? hmmm don't think so !

In all cases...verry nice demonstration of "class" doing Miser Mod who remove my post !

Don't worry i don't re_post & don't give my advices anymore...

But the minum of respect Mister Mod is a little Msg to explain your reason !

Regards,

Denis

@Russmania - I actually did nothing, I turned the computer off as nothing was seeding and the problem was resolved in the morning, this is why I believe it must have been something to do with the internet connection. Sorry not much help.

@sim21 thanks anyway, been restarting all my equipment, maybe will try turning the computer off later and leaving it for a while and hope for the best when I come back, more annoying than anything when ~20 torrents out of over 100 are red

Hi everyone. I have been following this thread and just registered so that I could give my two cents about this release (2.0.1), which is quite different than everyone's experience who is complaining here in this thread.

For me, 2.0.1 has been an intensely rewarding release. The congestion control has actually enabled me to use uTorrent at high bandwidth without destroying the network for everyone else in my house and in my small office / lab. Before 2.0.1, I had a maximum throughput of just less than a megabit on my home network, using uTorrent. After 2.0.1, I am literally seeing in excess of 1.8 megabit throughput. This has been totally confusing for me, but I have been doing some measurements and it appears that this is correct. I am an American living in South East Asia, and I am not sure if this new uTorrent is simply evading a torrent limiter that my ISP is using, or something about the packet shaping that is being done is 2x as efficient for me, but the results have been astonishing.

Not only have I been experiencing much higher bandwidth downloads, but I turned on the advanced option for bandwidth limiting on TCP traffic only, and then set my bandwidth limits very low (10kB/sec and 5KB/sec). This ensures that I squelch TCP traffic in favor of uTP traffic. Once I made this change, I was still getting 180kB/sec downloads, but I could then go to speedtest.net on a separate machine and verify my full bandwidth on my line. Speedtest was showing me more than 1.5 Mbit download and my full upload bandwidth while uTorrent was doing it's thing. The uTP traffic shaping algorithm works PERFECTLY. I share my Internet with my wife and my brother in law and I used to get complaints about the network all the time.

uTorrent 2.0.1 is my Hero!

I understand the complaints that others are making about small packet size and redundant packets adding to the protocol overhead for uTP, and there may very well be room for improvement here, but your queues are emptying out, your TCP traffic no longer has to fight with your bittorrent traffic and at least in my case, my throughput has almost doubled as a result of something that is not yet obvious to me.

Listen everyone, uTP will always show a bit more wavyiness in bandwidth graphs, because it responds quickly to changes in network weather. It will not FORCE itself upon your network. This is a good thing, not a bad thing. If you really want to see the beauty of this protocol, enable bt.ratelimit_tcp_only, drop your bandwidth limits to 5kB/sec or so (throttle your use of TCP to the bare minimum), and let uTorrent do everything with uTP. Try it for a while and see how everyone else on your network responds (hint: HURRAY!). You may even be surprised to find out that things are going faster than you expected them to.

Good job devs! Great stuff!

Archived