µTorrent 2.0.2 released

Firon

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that now that I've upgraded to 2.0.2 for all torrents that when I do other disk operations, such as copy a file, my data rates drop by 50 to 75% while the disk io is occurring. This did not occur with 1.8.2 or 1.8.5. I've played with the settings on the caching page but it still happens. As soon as I do anything that reads or writes to any of the drives, internal or external the upload/download rates drop.

So ? What would you recommend - not to bypass Win cache and crash sometimes ? bypass it and slow down in speed ? Revert back to 1.8.x where it is a non-issue ? or fix the uT cache/modified-file-I-O system (or it's use of Windows cache ?) so to not suffer any performance degradation ?... :P

As Rafi stated, is there a solution? I've tried various combinations on the disk cache preferences page with little effect. If I can't use the computer while 2.0.2 is running then I'll have to downgrade. I understand that you say this is a "stupid windows caching" issue, but why did it not occur prior to ver 2 of uTorrent? Something must have been changed in uT that affected the way it interacts with the caching, can't that be reversed?

As an aside, do I need to restart uT when I change these prefs before they are applied?

So ? What would you recommend - not to bypass Win cache and crash sometimes ? bypass it and slow down in speed ? Revert back to 1.8.x where it is a non-issue ? or fix the uT cache/modified-file-I-O system (or it's use of Windows cache ?) so to not suffer any performance degradation ?... :P

You can't fix the Windows cache (you don't "use" it, it's transparent), but not everyone has problems with it. So he could try turning off the bypass.

You can't fix the Windows cache

No, you can't. You can bitch about it and wait till M$ fixes it, in the far-far-away future. Or, until then, you can review the change you mentioned that you've made in the downloading files I/O scheme . It is my guess that this is the trigger for this M$ bug to show up... :(

he could also read both my posts and realize I tried turning off the bypass. It didn't seem to change things.

Firon, do I need to restart uT when I make changes to the cache settings before they take effect? I've tried changing the settings but didn't restart the program after each change....

I think it was mentioned on the v2.1 thread that uTorrent changed how it handled accessing files (starting with v2.0) so that it could do BitTorrent streaming. Windows stupidly ended up holding those files in cache when it shouldn't because of that...and memory use ballooned.

Any torrent client deals with downloading of very large files and for very long duration. If they all take care that the handles will not be so *long-lived*, maybe uT should do it too (as it possibly did pre 2.01?...). At list for the time being, until M$ resolves the issue .

If, as Switeck has suggested above, this was modified for the sake of streaming, why not implement this change only in the 2.1 branch, and not in 2.0x ? I bet 2.1 final and M$ support time-frames might be quite similar ... :P

Yeah,but there is only for -

- 2010-05-13: Version 2.0.2 (build 19648)

- Change: disable net.calc_overhead by default to improve speeds for users with low caps

- Change: Sharper help graphic

- Fix: fixed crash while adding torrents - if more than 100 are added concurrently it will be done silently

"bt.enable.tracker" set to true on server

created torrent on server. Trackers field was left blank to allow local peer discovery.

grabbed torrent on local lan connected computer.

started huge transfer & was unable to set "Maximum Download & Upload rates" Those settings are IGNORED

Apparently, uTorrent does not honor locally connected LAN connected computer rates.

Being UNABLE to set it globally by havng the lan transfers ignore it globally is ideal as local transfers can be hundreds of times faster than those thru the Internet, BUT utorrent should allow Max DN/UL be set INDIVIDUALLY by torrent even if they are Local peers.

Can someone verify this issue with v2.0.2?

Archived