µTorrent 2.0.2 released

Firon

DWK is absolutely correct.

ILT is actually a very shitty tracker anyway, and hardly private. You can make as many accounts as you want because they've always had open registration. And those morons want to force people to use µTorrent 1.6.1 Build 490 -- that's the latest version they support!

I, for one, stopped using trackers which don't allow me to use 2.1 Alpha and I'm not missing out on anything. Most of the good top-tier private trackers allow even the alpha versions of µTorrent. Here's my mini-rant I posted a while back: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=476356#p476356

May I use any bittorrent client?

Yes. The tracker now updates the stats correctly for all bittorrent clients. However, we still recommend that you avoid the following clients:

• BitTorrent++,

• Nova Torrent,

• TorrentStorm.

These clients do not report correctly to the tracker when canceling/finishing a torrent session. If you use them then a few MB may not be counted towards the stats near the end, and torrents may still be listed in your profile for some time after you have closed the client.

Also, clients in alpha or beta version should be avoided.

And the alphas/betas still work there :)

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

global uploading speed (including overhead) will be more fluctuating in 2.0.2 since it is not limited (calc_overhead default was set to false :( ).

If you like to have a steady over-whole uploading speed - set net.calc_overhead to TRUE and uT will keep the total upload speed steady at your set limit. Remember to increase it if required though (see B[1] tips @ my sig)

DreadWingKnight said, "The problem is the delusion of the private tracker admins that uTP gives any exclusivity advantage. They have more to worry about from seedboxes."

One could also make the same claim that BitTorrent clients that use IPv6 are "unfairly favoring" other IPv6 BT clients. It's a nonsense claim, unless those clients are using EXCLUSIVELY IPv6...but uTorrent doesn't use just uTP or IPv6 by default.

May I use any bittorrent client?

Yes. The tracker now updates the stats correctly for all bittorrent clients....

Any private tracker writing that is simply full of bullshit though, and only show they don't actually test any of the clients they allow.

These trackers would also allow Transmission, which for at least 8 releases straight had confirmed issues with misreporting stats. And we're not only talking a couple of megabytes per gigabyte download either.

So using any tracker that cares so little about their users as an example isn't really a good idea.

Any private tracker writing that is simply full of bullshit though, and only show they don't actually test any of the clients they allow.

These trackers would also allow Transmission, which for at least 8 releases straight had confirmed issues with misreporting stats. And we're not only talking a couple of megabytes per gigabyte download either.

So using any tracker that cares so little about their users as an example isn't really a good idea.

Or maybe their trackers are just that good. Either way, I really don't care. As long as they have the best pre times and fast speeds, and they allow me to use 2.1 Alpha or whatever cutting edge version is out there, that's all that really matters to me.

a question pass my mind

what is the benefit of having several tracker with close number of Seeders and Peers.

Or having many trackers is helpfull?

Well, it really depends on what you're downloading. Usually the hardest to get into trackers have the best pre times (how fast you can get something once it's released in the scene) and the best speeds. A lot of seeds/peers doesn't always mean the best speeds. Take a look at the pirate bay for example. They will usually have plenty of seeds/peers but have crappy speeds anyway cuz people don't really care about public trackers. Also, if you're looking for older releases, they will usually be harder to get on shittier trackers cuz people stop seeding quickly. I'm sure someone could explain it better but that's pretty much the gist of it.

Oh, and here's a nice website that tells you all about which private trackers are open for signups, etc:

<munched by admin - questionable on rules>

A researcher informed us that global download speeds for µTorrent tanked with 2.0.1, and we believe that it was because of net.calc_overhead. It's basically a side effect of most users having shitty caps. This is less of a problem on private trackers, since they tend to have better settings and higher upload caps set in their client.

Oh, and most of the big private trackers have all already allowed 2.0.1 (and many 2.0.2, considering the lack of changes) because it fixed the uTP problems that 2.0 had.

>It's basically a side effect of most users having shitty caps

If you'll allow me to be honest here, it will be more accurate to say that it is a side effect of both:

1- users having a shitty caps

2- uTorrent having a shitty overhead & Packets-Per-Second in uTP

3- ... and you not mentioning anything regarding this important change in any of the 2.01 change-logs, nor giving proper instructions during upgrade :P

And if your researcher will do a better job, I bet he will find out that uT download and seeding speeds are still tanking with 2.02 if he'll measure net Payload speeds (cause of #2 above) :(

I'm glad to hear the good news from the PTs! But to be honest (again...): yes, bugs were fixed, but basically nothing major was changed here in those 2.0x upgrades regarding uTP Packets' PPS and size, and speed connecting to other uTP clients. I guess it was mainly an excuse for them to get more users ... :)

I agree with Rafi 110%. There are definitely two major contributors as stated in 1 & 2 above. The first requires education, both by uT (in the form of better upgrade instructions) and the second, coming up with a better UTP implementation to reduce that ridiculous overhead.

Most users don't want to know or care to know how to set the caps correctly, you have to rub their faces in it. repeatedly. There are no easy fixes here, but I do think uT could be doing more on the side of education. Much of the behaviors around bad cap settings can be detected and some sort of visual warning could appear.

Continue to fix the UTP implementation and shove some information down people's throats, not a lot else that can be done.

Still only 2.0 doesn't require searching advanced settings and forums to make it work properly!

2.0.2 still has the memory overuse problem if you choose to enable cache. And don't tell me to disable it! If I really have to have it disabled permanently to make this program work why on earth don't you just delete that setting!

uTorrent started as a tiny, SIMPLE and efficient client. Now? The newest the build, the worse it goes!

Went immediately back to 2.0 which works just fine. And the worst of all: the link for 2.0 gives you 2.0.1! The same as the link for 1.8.5! Thank God there's File Hippo!!!

Archived