µTorrent stops downloading & uploading

Nu1

(sorry for posting this in the troubleshooting section)

This problem came to me very recently coz i was using this application for an year or two without any problems.

When im downloading a torrent i usually turn off the monitor and leave it a alone, this is what i have done for the past few years. Recently when i do this (starts the µtorrent and when it reaches the max download speed i turned off the monitor) it runs fine in the beginning but after couple of minutes (30-45) when i check the client by turning the monitor back on the downloading has doped down to about 2-3 Kbps. While this goes on i tried to surf the internet, and the internet was also slowed down (It takes google to load about 5-6 minutes where normally it loads in 2-3 seconds in my pc).

I have a dialup connection 512 kpbs down, So to get normal again i have to disconnect the connection and dial again. From this new connection the µtorrent and the internet works fine but after 30-45 minutes it happens again.

Is there any solution for this...????

Computer specs:

Dual core 2.2

2 GB RAM

on board VGA 384 MB

free disk space 10 GB

Installed AV:

AVG 9.0 with firewall

Thankyou switeck for your prompt reply.

I got this problem solved by reinstalling the client. I had a older version of µtorrent in my pc and i installed it over the new one. And few minutes later µtorrent asked me to update it. I IGNORED the msg and put the client to business. But few minutes later (30-45) the same problem happened again. So i update it via Help > Check for updates.

Now µtorrent runs perfectly without slowing down.(I don't know for how long)

Thanks

(I think this will help others too)

OK...

I used the correct Switeck's conservative settings for my µTorrent.

I lowered the net.max_halfopen to 4.

I lowered bt.connect_speed to 4,

I disabled the DHT.

I disabled UPnP and NAT-PMP.

I lowered maximum global number of connections to 100.

I disabled the uTP.

The peer.resolve_country was already disabled.

I couldn't find the "IP resolving in the Peers tab's context menu"....

Now the downloads and the uploads works very well.

But the strange thing is, before putting those settings to work i had 2 torrents running in the downloads section. Both torrents had about 50 100% completed seeds. Now after putting the settings these seeds had dropped down to about 10-20. But there's no speed issues because µTorrent is downloading in its max speed as previously(I mean like in my first post in this thread).

This seed dropping is it a problem with the settings..???

And another thing, After changing the settings I had a weird explorer issue.

I'll post more info with screens when it happens again.

Thanks

If you used those settings indeed global max should be WAY below 100. :P

Lower bt.connect_speed to only 1 outgoing peer/seed connection attempt per second. If you're not firewalled, this will not seriously reduce how quickly you connect to peers/seeds, as incoming connections are not limited by that.

"I couldn't find the "IP resolving in the Peers tab's context menu""

Select a torrent from your list, Right-click in the PEERS window/tab at bottom of uTorrent, uncheck Resolve IPs.

"Now after putting the settings these seeds had dropped down to about 10-20. But there's no speed issues because µTorrent is downloading in its max speed as previously"

There is no need to try to download from lots of other people at once if you're able to max out your line with 30 connection per torrent max. It is actually BAD to try to download from too many people at once, as it reduces both your overall speed and others cannot get as much either. :(

Can these settings result to crash explorer some how?

While the uTorrent is running my browser takes years to switch between tabs. It takes 5-10 second pauses while switching between tabs.

The most weird thing is while uTorrent is running when i try to play a movie (or some times when i try to open a folder with a movie inside) with my WMP 11, suddenly the explorer is giving me errors.

These things are happening only after when i switch to the new settings.

I used the correct Switeck's conservative settings for my µTorrent (128 kbit/sec).

I lowered the net.max_halfopen to 4.

I lowered bt.connect_speed to 4,

I disabled the DHT.

I disabled UPnP and NAT-PMP.

I lowered maximum global number of connections to 100.

I disabled the uTP.

IP resolving in the Peers tab's context menu

"Can these settings result to crash explorer some how?"

No. If Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer is crashing, your problems are way beyond anything to do with uTorrent!

"I used the correct Switeck's conservative settings for my µTorrent (128 kbit/sec).

I lowered maximum global number of connections to 100."

These 2 items are mutually exclusive results. :P

• 1 month later...

Hey...

There's a small question again...

What is the connection between upload and download speed settings...???

I noticed that setting the upload speed to 0 or to 1 kbps will decrease the download speed also. By increasing the upload speed to 7 kbps (recommended upload speed for me from CTRL+G) gave me the full download speed that i ever had....

(By using CTRL+G, my maximum active torrents went down to 1. I had to increase it to 2 because usually im downloading at-lest 2 torrents once)

Archived