slow download speeds

alfeo

I have a 20kbit down, 4 kbit up connection, so I should be getting about 2MB/sec, but right now I am hovering around the 100k/sec mark. I know that this isn't a poblem with a lack of seeds, as sometimes speeds will shoot up to 2MB.

I have noticed that, despite my global maximum upload limit of 250KB/sec, utorrent tends to go up to 50KB/sec. There seems to be a correlation between too high upload speeds and very low download speeds. However, utorrent doesn't seem to respect my max upload settings. How can I solve this and get my full download speed back?

EDIT: The slowdown seems to happen whenever all of my upload is going to local peers. Each time when the two red lines in the speed graph (so local bandwith and total bandwith up) come together, my DL speeds drop by 95% or so. How can I solve this?

EDIT 2: It seems like utorrent sometimes decides just to upload to or download from local peers. My speeds on both upload and download drop to the level of the local peer speeds. this seems to be happening randomly; sometimes it sorts itself out in minutes, other times it can take between a half an hour and an hour before speeds pick up again.

Done, didn't help a thing. I have a very specific problem, namely that sometimes utorrent decides to only DL from/UL to local seeds/peers. I have been playing around with the UTP settings in utorrent, but it doesn't seem to help.

Archived