Volumes folder under MacHD that consumes soooo much space

thandeka

I noticed that my space on my hard drive was dwindling quickly, eventually I figured out that mac os created a shortcut (that take up no space) to all of the harddrives on a computer under a folder you cant see unless you "go to folder" under finder and type /Volumes/

But something that happens when uTorrent is running is creating a folder that is a copy of my external hd (where everything is downloading to) under volumes and taking up a lot of hd speace. I delete that folder when I notice, and it frees up 20-30 gbs of space each time but its getting annoying to run out of space and continually have to delete this folder.

Deleting it has no effect on the external or torrents themselves.

any one know how to keep utorrent from creating a copy of the external under /volumes/??

It does this with mine as well, on 0.9.2.

On mine, the file path is set to download to my external HD, but it appears that my computer has confused the external with this fake copy of my external "downloads" folder. The files themselves are not even appearing on my external as usual when they begin to download but are only being saved in this Volume folder. I checked various times and the directory is linked correctly with my external, and it was before I began the downloads. How should I go about fixing this?? My utorrent is really struggling with my external hard drive, I had to redownload all my old torrent files and delete them on uTorrent and then put them back in to get them to re-check, even then they won't all go 100%. I have not messed with them since and the file paths are the same. What could be the problem?

Could it be that when the external gets unplugged it starts downloading to the folder under volumes? when i went to delete the volumes folder the other day i realized that some of the files were not downloaded to the external at all and i deleted them when i deleted the volumes folder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived