reducing upload speed reduces download speed

spidermonkey666

ok now the plot thickens.

i have just run various port checks and it shows my ports as closed, yet the speedguide says the port is forwarded properly. which is correct?

edit: also, lately my upload speed doesnt even break 10kb/s.

i have re-run glasnost and this time it averaged 11xxxkb/s instead of the 3000 that it was hitting before. something is definately wrong.

edit again: my log continuously shows peer disconnects with connection closed errors or getting peer time out errors if that matters. i tried downgrading to 1.8.5 to see if that would change anything and it didnt. im back on 2.0.1

edit a third time: from what i can remember this problem start occuring when i switch computers. again, dunno how pertinent that information is but thats what i can remember. also just ran a test but it was probably useless. basically i grabbed another laptop that i have laying around and i downloaded the ubuntu CD (which i am currently seeding) and my upload speed was 1.6MB/s. if that counts. i am currently letting that other computer seed the file to see if it gets any connections and if so, how fast they are. mind you it is connected via wireless. dunno if it does or not. any thoughts?

If the other computer (the laptop) uploads fine at 1.6 MB/sec, then there's really only so much to say about your computer probably being the cause...even if we don't know why.

Wireless is probably a red herring in this case. You could probably test the laptop with wired Ethernet and get equal or better results (1.6+ MB/sec upload).

the other computer was not uploading at 1.6MB/s.

here is what i did. i downloaded the ubuntu iso via bit torrent on my main computer and left it seeding.

next, i grabbed one of my other laptops cracked it open and downloaded the ISO via bit torrent.

while notebook number 2 was downloading the ubuntu ISO my main computer (which was seeding the ISO) was getting a 1.6MB/s upload. after notebook number 2 was done downloading the upload speed on the main computer dropped again.

any thoughts?

That 1.6 MB/sec went through your LAN only. It probably went slowly because of the wireless.

I've done torrent copies using my LAN and achieved much higher speeds:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5804/utorrentv201landlkillsi.png

(Incidentally, that was killing my internet upload speed...but mostly due to uTorrent bugs.)

That was with Ethernet 100 mbit/sec LAN, Linksys wrt54gl router.

thats what i figured. well the dude comes tomorrow so i will see what happens. i have just run a different traffic shaper test tool and it reports the same thing, there is no shaping occuring. i wonder if it has something to do with the settings of the NIC card in the new laptop? i looked at some of the advanced settings but i didnt really see anything that pertinent. well, will report back tomorrow.

edit: so they just came and went. they said there is no problem. but of course there is. is there any other info i can provide to help figure this out?

Archived