Speed degardes

saurabhvasa

Greetings,

Whenever i start torrent downloading, it starts with 999kbps .. and in jst 10 - 15 secs it settles at 50 - 53 kbps.

What can be the issue?? Is my ISP not allowing to ?

Please find below details of my PC:

AMD Athlon 4200+

ASUS Motherboard

2GB DDR2

500GB HDD

speedtest.net results

download: 0.50 mbps

upload : 0.19 mbps

ping: 51ms

Please let me know if you guys need any more details.

Awaiting for your kind help.

Thanks & Regards

- Saurabh

I didnt get you by temporary speed burst .. its not temporary. Its daily thing frm almost a year now. But the problem is if i keep for downloading arnd 50KBPS .. i m not able to surf the net ... so i have to restric my download upto 20 - 25kbps ... So is there any solution for that ?

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I can download torrents fine at full speed and have no trouble surfing the net.

However if I try uploading torrents at full speed I do have trouble, therefore I use manual bandwidth management by setting my upload speed lower.

I meant temporary in that you can't sustain significantly more than 50 KiloBYTES/second, not that it only happened once/rarely.

Exceeding the ~50 KiloBYTES/second sustained download speed is possibly an artifact of modem/router/windows buffering. Even if your ISP is giving you a real speed burst/boost, ADSL *WON'T* exceed ~24 megabit/second theoretical max down under any circumstances. 999 KiloBYTES/second would be ~9 megabit/second -- which is more than most people COULD get from ADSL due to their distance from the ADSL connection point.

From your name I am assuming that you are from India. If my past experience is any guide here is what you might experience.

Your torrent download speeds generally will never be as fast as your http downloads from such sites as Rapidshare premium accounts. Best you should expect is 80% due to overheads.

Your download speeds are to a very great extent limited by the speed of the souce. This generally is limited to 25 % of the subscribed download speed. This is regardless of number of connected seeds. I have seen speeds of 250 KBPS (2 mbps) from just 3-4 seeds as also speeds down to 20 KBPS (0.15- 0.16 mbps) from even 20 seeds.

In my experience there is only one ISP in India which allows same speed for both downloads and uploads and that is YouTel.

Hi Shah,

yes i m frm India and gujju too ... lol

Anywz, you seems to be right that ISP is not allowing to download more thn the bandwidth or in other word plan taken.

I just wanted to see, if there is any breaktrough or tweeks where by we can boost download speed.

Thank you all for your kind reply.

- Saurabh

Archived