2.0 and above being banned for "Elitism"

Jindai

it started with one of my favorite sites, and now 2 more have done it. (Paraphrased from 3 sources) "uTorrent 2.0 is banned outright because it plays favorites with other uTorrent users, and not linking with other clients at all."

And until and unless uTorrent stops with this bias, I will have to downgrade to 1.85 and stay that way. From what I understand, uTorrent started BECAUSE other clients didn't play nicely with each other, and wanted things more simple. Yet now, uTorrent has gone elitist itself? Sounds like it's losing itself.

If you force encryption and don't allow incoming legacy (no encryption) connections, likewise you'll see fewer other BitTorrent clients connecting to you. Many claim to support encryption, but most don't have encryption enabled by default. (Peer Exchange advertises if encryption is required, but that won't work with private trackers/torrents.)

If you enable Teredo/IPv6 in uTorrent v1.8.0-v1.8.5 (and later), chances are the IPv6 peers/seeds you connect to will be almost entirely uTorrent clients. And that "exclusivity" has been around for quite some time now.

uTP in uTorrent isn't *NEW*, it's been around for well over a year and first appeared in v1.8 -- though only incoming uTP was allowed by default (easy enough to change that though). It was a real mess in v2.0 that was first released due to many bugs being missed...and it is almost entirely due to that and hysteria that got uT v2.0 banned from private trackers.

uTorrent v2 was not and is not uTP-only...you have to change advanced settings and/or intentionally firewall your connection to achieve that result.

I appreciate the answer, and understand it, too. However, until and unless the trackers in question "come to their senses" or the rest of the clients catch up and start using uTP, making those trackers figure out that it's a good thing, I feel I have to stay with an older "approved" version, so I will do so. I'll keep paying attention to those trackers "approved lists" and I hope to see uTorrent 2.1 or a subsequent (hopefully less buggy) release on there, so I can go back to using the more current version.

Archived