DNS problems

daemon2010

192.168.0.10 is the same computer. I guess it could have said 127.0.0.1 there instead. port 24201 is the one I set up as utorrent port in utorrent and in the router.

But why should it try to connect to itself?

At the moment I logged this I had no other computer running on the LAN. I have another computer though that also have the exact same issue with DNS. It uses Win7 x64 as well and the only thing different in the setup is that that one don't use a fixed port and has no port forwarding in the router.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't test without my router, but I took my laptop to a different location and same thing. DNS failure. And as I am not alone with this problem I don't really think it has something to do with my router. I suspect something with win7 x64.

The router looks like it sends all the packages it is supposed to, but for some reason Win 7 won't get any DNS lookups. I can reach the DNS with ping and no package loss.

Just for the argument i have a Cisco EPC2425

I'm not sure I made it clear that 192.168.0.10 is my desktop computer. The laptop when connected has a different IP.

(Quote:)

Hi,

so the results are in, and the problem still exist

All those things I disabled didn't help... this is so frustrating, and since there are others having the exact same issue, we should be able to find out the root cause.

My cablemodem/wireless router is Netgear CG3100 and my ISP is comhem (one of Sweden's largest ISPs).

What more can I try doing?

Is it disabling Teredo and 6to4, and where can I find those settings considering Firon's post.(unquote)

I have the same problems with same cablemodem, have do everthing you has sayd, but still the line is going down after a while, and blocks every cable connection, but not the wireless connection. I have restartet the computer and its work a while again. Strange. I have shut down utorrent and than its work with out problems.

Greetings

vhartman

Were you testing the laptop's wireless or its Ethernet jack from the different location?

(We've got reports of failed wireless LAN cards with uTorrent due to their drivers being hopelessly buggy.)

With the laptop I used the wireless, but I have tried the port as well. But I only tried the laptop to test different settings because I want my desktop to work. The desktop don't use WiFi.

The thing is that it doesn't matter. The same fault appears with both of them.

To summarize:

I have full contact with the outside world with all computers connected to the router, BUT the computer that runs utorrent can't in 90% of the cases resolve DNS. Something is blocking just that computer on the network.

It feels like the DNS calls use a specific port on the computer and that port is for some reason overloaded or partially blocked. Could something similar to that be the cause?

Yes it seems when I droubleshooting my network connection, it tells me the DNS is fail.....

both of my Laptop and the PC.

If you have the same problem as me you shoud still be able to "ping" machines using only their IP-address.

Can you "ping 8.8.8.8" (thats googles DNS)?

Sleep mode?

Maybe I misunderstand you, but the reason why I noticed this is because I use the computer at the same time. It never goes into sleep mode and there is no inactivity as I am trying to use it while utorrent is running.

Everything works apart from NS-lookups. If I enter the site ip 66.102.13.106 (www.google.com) it always works.

Hi guys,

I forgot about this thread a while ago so I just got back here. Seems like others have the same problems I had/have.

I think I spoke too soon earlier when I announced the problems were gone after upgrading to 2.0.2.

The problem is still there, but it's not that annoying as it was before.

When I start uT, DNS lookups stop working, but after a couple of minutes they start working again.

hobox72, I wonder if that's the case for you too?

The problem is still there, but it's not that annoying as it was before.

When I start uT, DNS lookups stop working, but after a couple of minutes they start working again.

hobox72, I wonder if that's the case for you too?

I'm away at the moment but I will check when I get back home.

This thread seems to be the same fault http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=14723

and the solution there seemed to be disable IP-flooding protection in the router's firewall. I will check that also when I get back home.

I had the same problem but seem to be solved by disabling "IP Flood Detection".

ISP: Comhem Sweden 100Mbit/10Mbit connection

Router: Netgear CG3100 (LAN/Wireless Internet modem router with VoIP)

uTorrent: Ver 2.0.3

Did disabling "IP Flood Detection" work for anyone else? hobox72 - did it work for you?

Greetings from Sweden.

Can't test without my router, but I took my laptop to a different location and same thing. DNS failure.

It looks like disabling ip flood protection worked!

What happened to cause DNS failure when you took the laptop to a different location? The router at the other location cause problems as well?

What happened to cause DNS failure when you took the laptop to a different location? The router at the other location cause problems as well?

I didn't try to disable IP flooding on the other location, but it seems to me that this is a problem on many different routers. Maybe utorrent make to many and to rapid DNS calls for the routers firewall.

Router: Cisco EPC2425

utorrent: 2.0.2

Did you have Resolve IPs enabled in the Peers window/tab?

Yes it's turned on. I'll try to disable that and enable IP flooding on my router again and see what happens.

..... After 5 mins ....

Everything seems to be working now.

So I guess the router handles all the IP lookups from uTorrent as IP flooding attempts. Maybe the IP lookups should have a setting so it won't send out so many DNS queries or at least spread them a bit?

PS. Maybe someone could rename this thread from "DNS probolems" to "DNS problems". It sure helps when searching the forums for help ;)

Archived