what do numbers in ( ) mean for seeds and peers?

thrashercharged

Basic question, I see under seeds and peers 2 numbers, for example:

seeds peers

11(26) 0(238)

Does this mean there are 11 active seeders out of 26 possible or something like that?

Likewise, I notice after I finish a download and start seeding, that file will only stay on my active page for a short time, less than a day. I can still find it on my list of completed files, and it'll show it's seeding, but the numbers will be like this:

seeds peers

0(48) 0(300)

What does this mean? Does it mean that there are so many in the swarm (48 or 300) that it doesn't need me anymore? So does the 0 mean I'm in a group of 0 meaning no one is using me as a seed? This example is from a fairly popular file so I know there are people out there downloading the file, so I know it's not due to it being unpopular and no one is wanting it.

So if my assumption is correct that no one is needing me to seed, this means I can stop seeding and move that file and no one will care - essentially I've done my part in sharing right?

Lastly, I typically download to a temporary folder and will later move my files to their permanent folder. But doing so will obviously cause the file not to be found for seeding. I hate to do this as I'd like to share, as some of these files are a bit more obscure and unpopular, so it's not like there's always activity on them, so when someone out there wants it I'd like to be a good citizen and have it available, but should I even worry about this? I've figured out I can point utorrent to the new download folder and then force a recheck (which takes forever) but then I need to start it again or force a start? I'm confused as to how to "reseed" an old file.

Thanks for any answers.

Yeah, I've read the user manual and sorry, I'm still a bit confused.

I probably shouldn't have asked my first question as the user manual does define this better than I'd comprehended at first glance. My understanding of my example thus is:

seeds peers

11(26) 0(238)

means I'm connected to 11 seeds out of a possible 26, and 0 peers out of a possible 238, but why 0 peers? Is it because there's so many seeders that utorrent decides peers aren't necessary to connect with?

The user manual doesn't quite answer the rest of my questions (or maybe it does and I'm just dense.) After I seed for awhile and I get:

seeds peers

0(48) 0(300)

Does this mean the swarm doesn't need me anymore so I've essentially done my share and I can move my files and stop seeding forever and no one out there will really care?

I understand that I can resume a torrent I've moved by using Advanced > Set Download Location (and force a recheck if necessary) but my questions really is, is that necessary?

When I've done this forced recheck and try to seed, I always get the 0, which I assume means no one is needing my seed, so if that's the case (since it takes a long time to recheck) I'd rather not do it.

Sorry if my questions are fairly basic, just trying to be a good torrent citizen out there.

Archived