Upgrade to 2.0.1 kills speed

samthing

After upgrading to 2.0.1 I would get dl speeds around 150-250 KB/s with 10mpbs connection, never even close to full 1MB/s. Tried different torrents, including linux distros. After downgrading back to 2.0, with the same set of torrents, speed maxed out at 1MB/s in five seconds. Didn't touch any settings at any point.

Used 2.0.1 for two days, rebooted router and computer few times but never got any higher than ~200KB/s. And yes, I didn't have the dl speed limited to 200 or anything.

Just want to confirm that the latest update killed my speeds as well. I was downloading a torrent with 22,000+ seeders, and I've gotten speeds up to 1.7mb/s on torrents at home before, and this torrent (and others) downloaded between 0 and 4k/s with the latest version. Reverted to the previous version of uTorrent and I'm back in the good ol' 500k/s range.

Exact same thing happened to me, I had a couple of torrents happily chugging away at about 200kbs each, after the update i never got more than 28kbs out of each of them (upload cap was unlimited)

Went on for a few days barely able to download anything, even contacted my ISP to ask if they were throttling torrent services, read this thread on here and installed 1.8.4 instead.. speeds instantly shot up and maxed out my bandwidth.. definately something wrong with 2.01 and 2.1

I confirm problem with download speed. In version 2.01 i must set upload to 100kB/s to have 1.6mB/s 10-20 kB/s up = down 400kB/s 50kB/s up = 1mB/s down 90-100up = 1.6/1.7 mB/s down.

In version 2.0 i can set up to 20kB/s = down 1.6/1.7 mb/s

@Switeck. Settings are the same to version 2.0. Just upgrading. Upgrade kills down speed. Downgrade to 2.0 and speed are ok. Disable net.calc kills speed even i set upload to 100kB/s. If i set 100kB/s up and other leecher download from me at higher speed (20 -30 kB/s ) that also kills my down speed. My internet connection is 18mbit/1mbit.

2.01 suck.

You need to listen to what users are saying. Upgrading with the exact same settings is resulting in SLOW DOWNLOAD SPEED!!!!! If you work with software then why would you not verify this yourself instead of having Moderators playing self help guru and assuming everyone with the exact same problem must need to change some settings? You need to listen. If I have no problems & then I update & Have Problems common sense would dictate that the update is the problem. I deal with people who have no Tech Knowledge. I tested this and they are right. Don't ask me what tests I ran! You should be trouble shooting the software you developed, not asking others to!

I agree with you, they dont listen at all. Well , we dont pay for utorrent, so they can do whatever they want I guess.

I have an unusual slow upload limit VS my download limit. But that's not my fault, its my ISP's fault. Not only I have a low upload limit (90KBs) but I also have a monthly total limit for transfer.

I wont upgrade to a new version if I get stuck with a total transfer of 250KB for download, sorry.

How come they cant explain the change ?

Ok, so you have a slow download...

There's *VERY* good chance it's due to uTP + Bandwidth Management + overhead + your settings combined.

You may also have other issues, (which could remotely be bug/s in uTorrent v2.0.1) but until we eliminate the above causes...how can we tell?

So I *EXPECT* your download speeds to suffer terribly until you sort that out.

I was against counting overheads against the max limits, precisely because that causes many people problems.

"So I *EXPECT* your download speeds to suffer terribly until you sort that out." You smart ass! Why would their be any difference between 2.0.18907 and the current build? uTP + Bandwidth Management + overhead + your settings combined are all the exact same and yet updating throttles my download speed. Obviously you don't give a crap what users think and are PASSING THE BUCK off on us. Trouble shoot your own software. [it would be wise to stop this...]

NO.

uTorrent v2.0.1 does something *NEW* that v2.0 doesn't...

And that is overheads *COUNT AGAINST YOUR SPEED LIMITS*!

Could you explain exactly what that means, and how it applies to this speed drop? Obviously, I don't know the details of how utorrent works as well as you, but it seems plain that if settings worked in one version, and the only change is an upgrade, then the new version is the clear cause of the problem. If it's not a bug, but some fundamental change in how the program works, perhaps you could share with us exactly what that change is, so we can know how to adjust our settings to make our speeds work again.

Overhead, things like confirming you got data and requesting more data, is included in the speed limit now. Since overhead is now part of the speed limit, and downloading fast means more upload overhead in a given time frame, it can constrict download since the messages are getting out slower. That overhead is why choosing 60-80% of your upload is, was important if you didn't want to choke your line while downloading.

Or you have a crap firewall and/or settings.

The adjustment to make right now is to choose an upload limit closer to your max. Also/or http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=480132#p480132 and if nothing else provide your settings.

Switeck, thank you for your link. I played with my settings with regard to the "adaptation" needed, and now my speeds are back where they used to be, uTorrent is picking up tremendously faster, and it doesn't seem to be choking my network at all, at least not that I've experienced with my test downloads.

*edit* Okay, still a little choking, but it disappeared as quickly as it arrived, which is different.

Thank you for the advice, it's been very useful.

My Settings:

Based off the "2mbit/s" profile

DHT = disabled

Max Connections = 100, per torrent = 60

bt.connect_speed = 5

net.calc_overhead = false

net.max_halfopen = 8

net.utp_dynamic_packet_size = false

net.utp_initial_packet_size = 8

Would you care to elaborate on why those should be left alone? The advice in the previous links listed the settings I changed them too.

Also, it would appear that while my speed has returned, uTorrent is still choking my router. Any suggestions?

Archived