Connections icon in status bar MISLEADING

farstanley

I have found the connection icon in the status bar an unreliable indicator of connection status. It is usually amber although sometimes green and is currently red and hovering the mouse over it shows the message:

Not connectable. A firewall/router is limiting your network traffic. You need to open up a port so others can connect to you.

My torrents are nonetheless blistering in both directions and always have. The icon was green yesterday and amber for some time before that. It changes itself without my doing anything.

I have had this problem with versions 1.7.* and 1.8.*, on xp & vista, at least five different machines, three ISPs in two countries and assorted hardware configurations ( ADSL direct through modem, modem & cable router, modem & wireless router, all in one gateway )

Let me rephrase that. It isn't a problem as much as it is an annoyance. Why is this thing in the status bar telling me there is something wrong when there isn't?

In the past I have spent days checking router and modem configurations without having any influence on the icon in question but those torrents keep on blistering. The process of elimination suggests a bug.

Does anyone else get this situation? Anyone got any ideas?

Archived