uTorrent v2.x/3.x - Best Practice Tips

rafi

Didnt you mean check/enable limit to uTP?

Without that option, speed limiter always fail...

Good point!... I did say - only for high speed connections! True, ~50% of connections will not be limited (uTP). But what if you have more than 10Mb/s (1250K) UPLOAD and you want to use 90% of it for pure seeding? If you set a 1000K limit you'll end of with only 500K! :(

So I guess I should be specifying either:

- a use-case when you do pure seeding

- or if not - I regret to say, disable uTP all together till they'll fix it

And remember: only for connections with very high upload rates!

I guess my uTorrent2.2 doesnt have this problem

Possibly. I did see it in 3.x (3.2.1). Either that, or you didn't test it with uTP over 5M ... Try setting advanced->bt.transp_disposition to 26.

One question - do you have any *download* limit set?

Edited by rafi

Well, I found a bypass... :) So, here is the revised notice:

Important notice:

It seems that there is an issue with 3.x upload limiter with high-speed connections (upload speeds > 500KB/s) . uTorrent upload limiter fails to limit uTP connections correctly! It seems to limit them to about ~500K :( . So, unless you want to just not use the limiter for uTP (un-check/disable "Bandwidth->Apply rate limit to uTP connections" ) or just not use uTP (un-check BitTorrent->Enable bandwidth management) here is a tip how to overcome this:

* Set any download limit you want * ! Strangely, this seems to help bypass the upload limiter issue :P

Remember: this is ONLY for very high speed UPLOAD rates! and for the time being, till they'll fix the upload limiter

Edited by rafi

• 1 month later...

I've added my updated draft of the uTorrent help file for version 3.2.1+ . You can find it plus instructions for using it on paragraph 1.

It is still not covering 100% of the Advanced options, but does have v3.3 options as well. Let me know if you find any syntax issues, or mismatches.

Enjoy!

Edited by rafi

rafi, do you know v3.x that doesn't have cache/high memory consumption bug for >= 10MBps?

(im using 2.2.1)

Thanks.

As far as I've checked, 3.2.x is not that different. This shows also the memory data in the task manager @20Mbps (my Internet connection rate):

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=686716#p686716

You are more then welcome to try at higher speeds and let us know.

The only thing to note, is that the cache/IO system seems to be revised at v3.3, but it is still very far from stable!

Edited by rafi

rafi' date=' do you know v3.x that doesn't have cache/high memory consumption bug for >= 10MBps?

(im using 2.2.1)

Thanks.[/quote']

As far as I've checked, 3.2.x is not that different. This shows also the memory data in the task manager @20Mbps (my Internet connection rate):

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=686716#p686716

You are more then welcome to try at higher speeds and let us know.

The only thing to note, is that the cache/IO system seems to be revised at v3.3, but it is still very far from stable!

I tried 3.2.1(btw the rumor say all the v3.x have the bug), When I download at full speed 10MBps memory consumption of utorrent get 800MB+ (while using 1024MB cache option) after about 2minutes speed goes down to 2MBps, when it should be 10MBps(downloading from very fast servers).

p.s. same thing happend if i use lower cache (i tested various configurations)

Edited by cacheerror

When I download at full speed 10MBps memory consumption of utorrent get 800MB+ (while using 1024MB cache option) after about 2minutes speed goes down to 2MBps, when it should be 10MBps(downloading from very fast servers).

The problem is probably the disk I/O. Write speed (for uT) is slower than the input speed + the lower priority of this IO thread. This is significant with multi-files torrents. If is better with single file torrents. You can try my settings.dat file (upload should be adjusted to your speed). I've reached 15-20MBps with it. 3.3 should eventually do better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow....thanks alot, this really helped me out. Iv been having trouble with the disk overload for bout a week now, and it has been making my computer freeze up constantly because of it, but i went through and adjusted a few of the things on utorrent that you had listed, and it's working now....THANKS FOR THE TIME THAT U PUT INTO THIS POST:D:D:D:D:D

I dont want to open a whole new thread, so I will ask just here. I have a problem with RSS downloading. At monday, when Im suscribe to a lot of TV series, uTorrent is unable to download all of them (just one or two from list of 5 TV shows from today).

I asume, that there is a problem with RSS feed in uTorrent, cause Its able to show just last 70 rss items or so. May question is if its possible to change this number or somebody have different idea about this.

Edited by gllmour

Hey Rafi, Whenever I run uT for over 8 hours, my ram would max out to 99% and system would stall. I am reading through your tips to fix memory issues but on my uT 3.2.2 install, I can't find 'disable windows caching' under 'options' > 'preferences' > 'advance'?

Appreciate your help here, txs!