uTorrent v2.x/3.x - Best Practice Tips

rafi

Setting file(s) updated:

- Added: Pref.->advanced->disk cache->Write out untouched blocks every 2 minutes - ENABLED

This might resolve/bypass the issue of some completed pieces not being fully written to disk ASAP...

- Changed: Pref.->Advanced->diskio.resume_min = 100000 so to practically disable the problematic feature of auto-resume after disk is full. http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=754856#p754856

Edited by rafi

• 1 month later...

HI Rafi, I'm using the 500 settings.dat. It's to soon to tell if it's helping, but i do have one query. How do you turn on the arrows in front of the name on each torrent? There not there when I use my own settings.dat.

& while I'm here what is the significance of "has head" in the files menu. most of my downloads say yes but I sometimes get a whole download without a head :) does this matter? regards

Thanks all cool

& for Rafi a big thumbs up.

I don't know which settings made the difference but I am now getting 740 kB/s download which is the highest Iv.e ever had,

I'm getting almost no upload thou 12kB/s. I have left it at your default settings & will leave it alone for a few days to see if it changes.

I did try changing settings 1 by 1 & was getting nowhere & decided on the easy option :) so glad I did regards

My download has now jumped to 900 kB/s which i didn't think was possible on my connection but my upload is still really small 19 kB/s a second out of a possible 50

Edited by BluBelcher
  • Like 1

Thanks all cool

& for Rafi a big thumbs up.

I don't know which settings made the difference but I am now getting 740 kB/s download which is the highest Iv.e ever had,

I'm getting almost no upload thou 12kB/s. I have left it at your default settings & will leave it alone for a few days to see if it changes.

I did try changing settings 1 by 1 & was getting nowhere & decided on the easy option :) so glad I did regards

My download has now jumped to 900 kB/s which i didn't think was possible on my connection but my upload is still really small 19 kB/s a second out of a possible 50

I have been playing around with my upload'.

If I raise it to 80 I get about 850 Down & 50 Up which I'm quite content with so I will leave it alone for now .

I'm getting about twice the download speed I was before I installed the settings_331_500K.dat so all is good Regards

Greetings Rafi:

Have not focused on any speed improvements yet, but I wonder if you know the location where all or most of the advanced settings are described and or debated?

I just updated to 3.4 Beta, while running 3.3.2 stable (?) and lost all my settings and in-process torrents.

Win 7 x64 SP1 All torrent activity runs on 500 GB USB2.0 external drive.

Directories: Dnload Data, Dnload Torrents, Upload Data, Upload Torrents, uTorrent (for all pgm & .dat).

I have a shortcut to the external utorrent.exe pinned to the taskbar.

After updating to 3.4 the taskbar shortcut took me back to the update process (near the end). Only the new shortcut on the start menu took me to the new 3.4 app (devoid of all my settings and in-process torrents).

I did not attempt to use what apparently are the torrent status files in the utorrent folder (need to learn to use that BTeditor pgm-just learned about it today). The updating process knew where utorrent.exe was located, so it should have had access to the settings.dat file in the same folder.

I used the contents of my 'Dnload Torrents' folder to restart the lost in-process torrents (but I stupidy forgot to move the old contents out, so I wound up with 2 sets of torrents - arggh!)

The installer did copy 3.4 to the updates folder. I need to check if the settings.dat.old file would have been any help in restoring my old settings? I have updated twice before with no trouble.

Is the install problem my fault or is it with the installer/updater itself?

BTW: running the 3.4.0_30345.exe in the updates folder took me back to the end of the install prrceass as mentioned above.

The NEXT update will be preceded by a utorrent folder backup!

Seasons Greetings - if that applies to anyone. Doc Chiron

where all or most of the advanced settings are described and or debated?

New settings (empty...) were most likely created @ %appdata%\utorrent with the exe (you need a new shortcut to it...) .

Just search for you old "settings.dat" and copy all your all your old *.dat/.old files into there.

(Cont'd)

Rafi:

My initial exposure to running utorrent.exe on an external drive assumed (correctly) that I was already running utorrent from "Program Files" . It had me create an empty SETTINGS.DAT file (forgot if in new oe ols utorrent pgm folder), then copy %appdata%\utorrent folder to new location. That's how I did it. After testing I deleted the original install to save space. I was then able to use the external TORRENT drive with my laptop wherever I had net access! Cool.

I later found another process (not tested) to do an external install w/o any previous install.

If you know, is there any significant difference in the resultant setup that may have had an impact on the problem in my above update problem? Thanx in advance. Doc

• 5 weeks later...

Trying to re-setup 3.3.2 after a HD crash. I must be losing my mind, because this line on your Tips #A-1a is confusing the hell out of me.

[1] In pref.->advanced->Disk Cache Make sure :

1a. ->Disable Windows caching of disk writes/reads - are both checked

My 3.3.2 settings are phrased as "Enable" caching, so does that mean I should uncheck them both?

capture_3-3-2.jpg

I just don't want to relive the era of Disk Overload again... :/

You are right. They have changed that dialogue, and removed the ability to control Windows cache (it is now always being used... :( ) .

Who knows, maybe this is part of the reasons overload issue...

Anyway - this is the correct settings:

f332fa301898493.jpg

You can just use my settings.dat file here and have a look at the result.

I'll fix the text, thanks!

BTW, you might want to try 3.4. It has improved (just a bit...) the disk overload. It has some other issues, tho (@my sig...)

Edited by rafi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@rafi: What's going on with your links?  I downloaded the best practice settings last night.  But today all the links redirect to utorrent forums or utorrent help site.  I found the "'Best Practice' Tips" thread myself in utorrent forums, but I can't find "My *new* >>>>... Web-Help Site/File<<<<" thread at all.