uTorrent v2.x/3.x - Best Practice Tips

rafi

a small cross-post, but i figure it might be helpful here too, so:

I experienced slow download speeds after upgrading from 2.0 to 2.0.1 (400/500kb/s in stead of ~4000kb/s).

Following the guide:

(*) Note: If after increasing your upload speed limit your download speed is still low, try setting net.calc_overhead = false . Use this only as a "last resort", since it can cause problems. Some uTorrent functions, such as the "Transfer Cap" meter will not function accurately.

fixed the problem.

Or setting the upload to unlimited, wich is not wanted here, because i'm living with more people in this house, and it's causing the connection to choke. Setting it slightly lower caused the download to crash back to 400/500 kb/s.

Upload is working great now but it was an unrelated issue. My "Alternate Upload Rate..." was way low for some reason and since I've only been seeding... well you get the picture. But I'm still getting internet choking, though I've seen some improvement. What is wierd is I've been seeding for about 2 days without any downloading and a terribly (slap on the wrist) upload limit and I've had horrible internet choking. I up the upload limit and my internet improves. I'll keep tweaking my numbers to find a sweet spot. Thanks for the help.

well I cant have my upload at 80% of my max, if I do that web pages stop loading and my XBOX live lags a lot

dont know whats changed, I have tried everything in this guide and it will work, but to set my upload to like 200KB/s (max is like 500KB/s) or higher so my download is at max isnt working for me

but then everything stops working - so 1.8.5 it is for me sorry but it just works - if that stops I will use some other bittorrent client

Edited by rightkidney

@rightkidney:

(*) Note: If after increasing your upload speed limit your download speed is still low, confirm/set net.calc_overhead = false . Use this only as a "last resort", since it can cause problems. Some uTorrent functions, such as the "Transfer Cap" meter will not function accurately.

+ B-4a should make it similar to 1.8.5

Edited by rafi

first off why cant I quote people, there should be a button for that like all other forums I have used

@ rafi

+ B-4a should make it similar to 1.8.5

but 1.8.5 works fine why would I want to update then change settings to make it similar to the last one, I dont care about ui changes so whats the other reason I want to be using 2.0.1

@moogly: thanks. "2/" is already there (& quoted above you...) "1/" - yeah. I just thought that the setup-guide + speedtest.net is good enough. I'll ask Switech.

@rightkidney:

1. they support only latest versions

2. you are not compatible with the uTP new header in 2.x clients

3. missing the new features (like cap-meter/setup-guide)

4. bug fixes

(-5). new bugs... :P

Do your math...

@ricangata89: great. what was it?

Edited by rafi

I dont really care about support anyways, this is a free program so I never expected support

whats the uTP new header and why do I need this - newer versions arent always better, and in some cases worse (like winamp and nero) so am I going to not be able to download properly using 1.8.5, will people that use 2.0.1 not be able to share with me or what

are the new features anything I would need, why would I need a cap-meter/setup guide - it seems like the cap-meter was capping my download even after following the setup guide on a fresh install of windows 7, never installed 1.8.5 started with 2.0.1 but still problems downloading unless I set upload high

bug fixes, I have never had a problem with the program, it never crashed for me so...

I am just not convinced that I want to use 2.0.1 when 1.8.5 works fine

I see it is at 2.0.2 now, I will try that and see if it works better, last I checked it was still at 2.0.1 and that was less then 24 hours

>.. never expected support

Forums/IRC are kind of support. you are here, aren't you ? ...:P

>whats the uTP new header

read on uTP elsewhere. In 2.x, it is what uT tries to use first (and will connect faster to other uT seeds). They have modified the protocol in 2.x . It will still use the old TCP, so, for now, you can communicate to new clients with TCP.

>are the new features anything I would need

only you can answer that. and... the new cap meter has nothing to do with speed. just capacities (pref->cap....)

>bug fixes...it never crashed for me so...

good...

>I see it is at 2.0.2 now...

Good. Only change is calc_overhead default being false, to ease migration pains for some people (maybe, like yourself?... ;) ) . I think it should be left "true" with appropriate UL limit set.

yea I guess these forums are support, so sorry about that

so this uTP is something that is new, so if everyone was using it it would be good? - so that means that after time it will get better?

I have followed the migration tips and set everything to what was recommended but it was still slow unless I set my upload to like 100-200KB/s - I cant do that

yes, uTP is new, and I guess they like all to use it. As to the second part - it is up to the devs to improve it. I hope they do.

...and I think you missed my point, using settings that will make it similar to 1.8.5. Just try 2.02 with your old limit, and you might be OK.

Edited by rafi

ok i've read several posts on the forums and i've read your solutions however im not sure if they'll help my problem...

heres the story...my utorrent was running fine a week ago and the next day when i tried using it, it started freezing everytime i tried to download.

since then i've tried everything.

system restore. didnt work

firewall adjustments with ports. didnt work

updating to new and old versions of utorrent. didnt work

i tried restoring default settings. didnt work.

i even tried downloading bittorent...didnt work

it keeps happening. it doesnt freeze when im not downloading and i can look around and such. but as soon as i start downloading it just freezes and i then the window goes white..it'll snap back every 20 seconds or so and you can do one control and then it'll freeze again. but then i stop the downloads and its normal again

nothing is wrong with my internet browsing. or my computer for that matter. just the torrent servers.

PLEASE help

specs: windows xp sp 3.

utorrent version 1.8.1 - 2.0..

ESET Nod32 antivirus/firewall and typical windows firewall.

2597 kbps download/1720 kbps Upload* COMCAST Internet