uTorrent v2.x/3.x - Best Practice Tips

rafi

hi there,

i am new here and decided to register cos rafi's guide seemed to partially work in my case.

i wrote partially cos i cant get rid of freaking fluctuating transfer, so i thought that maybe someone will have any idea what should i do to make the line rather flat. but i managed to reduce the jumps from like 200 -> 600 to smaller value (graph).

i have 6 mbit symmetric line at night and 3 mbit during the day but what i am mostly interested in is using 6mbit as much as possible, i just like seeding things (mostly anime if anyone was curious)

so here is my graph showing usage of different settings:

flux.th.png

i always thought that i could utilize like 90% of my connection capacity to seed but this damn world proved me wrong, anyway here are some of my settings:

settingsw.th.png

any suggestion to get 2 nice flat lines like f(x) = x + 650 ?

Edited by tyrael

rafi's guide seemed to partially work in my case

maybe cause you partially implemented it... :P

It suggest that you set an upload limit and a certain way, and disable tcp_rate_control in advanced. I suggest you try to follow the rest of it... :)

yeah i did that, im not that dumb. just either with upload limit or the 'experimental' config you mention my transfer jumps. tcp_rate_control is set to false...

i tried all from section B and C. in most cases nothing changed and in some cases transfer dropped bigtime. i am behind a router with ports forwarded and on public IP.

For example if i uncheck UPnP port mapping as you suggest my upload begins to fall rather fast.

My biggest problem is that upload cant reach the value of download and that the overall tendency is to fluctuate.

im not that dumb

I didn't say that you are... :P

with ports forwarded ...if i uncheck UPnP port mapping as you suggest my upload begins to fall

you should understand that this only proves that your router/port is NOT forwarded properly , and that it needs uPnP to help with that. *Both* udp & tcp should be forwarded.

That said - uPnP is good enough and manual setup is good practice but should not change your speed....

Want to try some longshot - limit your download, and see if your upload improves...

and.. there is alway the possibility that the router has issues in upload. Try w/o it...

Edited by rafi

tyrael,

Limit your upload to 600 KB/sec and see how well it runs...because that may be about all you really have. You can upload more by setting upload speed limit very close to max than you can running with "unlimited" upload speed.

2nd link in my signature...your line limit much more closely matches 5 mbit/sec upload than anything else, although even that's too high for the 3 mbit/sec time period. You could use Scheduler to lower upload and maybe download as well during the slower hours, but Scheduler won't reduce the number of connections used at once.

So use fewer global connections -- even 200 may be as much or more than your router can bear. Reduce connections per torrent to only 40-60. Since you don't have 10+ mbit/sec download speed, you likely will not have a download speed loss from doing this...it might even increase download speeds slightly. Set upload slots per torrent to 10 (upload to 10 people per torrent at once). And test with the "use extra upload slots" UNCHECKED...I've seen it reduce my upload speed if checked because it started way too many and was giving low speeds to each person at once instead of much higher to fewer. It is better to upload faster to 10 people per torrent than slow to 25, because of torrent piece sizes. Even at a piece size of 512 KB, if you're uploading to someone at 1 KB/sec they'll need to wait ~8.5 minutes before they'll have a new piece to share to someone else. Only completed pieces can be shared, so long delay between completing pieces hurts.

If/when you're only seeding, reduce connections per torrent to only 15-20. With fewer connections, you'll upload MORE per day as less is wasted as overheads.

If you need UPnP, enable it in uTorrent. But if UPnP works for you, you shouldn't need NAT-PMP also in uTorrent...and having both enabled can cause problems on some networking equipment. :(

thank you both for answers,

i got some more questions/issues.

im not that dumb

I didn't say that you are... :P

yet i somehow felt like it.

with ports forwarded ...if i uncheck UPnP port mapping as you suggest my upload begins to fall

you should understand that this only proves that your router/port is NOT forwarded properly , and that it needs uPnP to help with that. *Both* udp & tcp should be forwarded.

That said - uPnP is good enough and manual setup is good practice but should not change your speed....

Want to try some longshot - limit your download, and see if your upload improves...

and.. there is alway the possibility that the router has issues in upload. Try w/o it...

What are the ports that utorrent use? beside the one i set up in config? is there any other? i am NO staranger with forwarding ports, i even wrote a small guide for users of the local DC hub on how to forward ports.

for utorrent i use port 6666 and i double checked, it is open. i also have dmz for my pc, but made a special entry for this port on BOTH protocols. if it would be of any help i have Linksys WRT54GCv3 fw: 1.00.14 and have never had any problems with it.

i will try w/o router asap but currently it is impossible cos i cant connect two male connectors but i will buy small thingy to solve it.

setting down limit doesnt change a thing, its just that the smaller the download the bigger the upload so it seems...

tyrael,

Limit your upload to 600 KB/sec and see how well it runs...because that may be about all you really have. You can upload more by setting upload speed limit very close to max than you can running with "unlimited" upload speed.

i did limit to 600 but did't see any drastic improvement, maybe a little but cant say if its just a coincidence.

2nd link in my signature...your line limit much more closely matches 5 mbit/sec upload than anything else, although even that's too high for the 3 mbit/sec time period. You could use Scheduler to lower upload and maybe download as well during the slower hours, but Scheduler won't reduce the number of connections used at once.

i set up scheduler as advised, but during the slow period i think i wont change the number of connections used at once since it seems there is no problem with slower speeds.

So use fewer global connections -- even 200 may be as much or more than your router can bear. Reduce connections per torrent to only 40-60. Since you don't have 10+ mbit/sec download speed, you likely will not have a download speed loss from doing this...it might even increase download speeds slightly. Set upload slots per torrent to 10 (upload to 10 people per torrent at once). And test with the "use extra upload slots" UNCHECKED...I've seen it reduce my upload speed if checked because it started way too many and was giving low speeds to each person at once instead of much higher to fewer. It is better to upload faster to 10 people per torrent than slow to 25, because of torrent piece sizes. Even at a piece size of 512 KB, if you're uploading to someone at 1 KB/sec they'll need to wait ~8.5 minutes before they'll have a new piece to share to someone else. Only completed pieces can be shared, so long delay between completing pieces hurts.

i played a little with all the parameterets starting with what you suggest. i fail to see any differece in transfer behaviour whatsoever. maybe some test on know swarm would be informative?

here are some charts:

nows.th.png

it seems there is no sudden up/down which is good.

now2.th.png

here, the first "flat" part show 1 torrent leeching and ~25 seeding. the first big platou show what happend whed i started leeching the best available linux. platou ends when removed this torrent. the next smaller rise is when my only leeching torrent got some seeds for a moment.

i cant shake of the feeling that whenever my download rises my upload drops. also i have no clue why cant i upload like ~700 and am stuck on the level of 550 (+/- 25) if i can download utilizing nearly 100% of 6 mbit. i would really appreciate a pointer towards some good test material on my upload.

huhy.th.png

and the biggest mistery for me, thats what happens when i stop my leeching torrent that is also seeding. i expected an constant increase of up speed up to borderline level...

If/when you're only seeding, reduce connections per torrent to only 15-20. With fewer connections, you'll upload MORE per day as less is wasted as overheads.

i will.

If you need UPnP, enable it in uTorrent. But if UPnP works for you, you shouldn't need NAT-PMP also in uTorrent...and having both enabled can cause problems on some networking equipment. :(

disabled NAT-PMP.

The most annoying thing now is that whatever i do it has no apparent effect on bandwidth behaviour. changing max up speed, down speed, conn per torrent, slots, both rate limits (overhead, uTP) and so on. one thing that has any apparent influence and, oh the irony, should NOT have is UPnP.

maybe some advanced settings? i am f*cking clueless...how much trouble must one encounter to seed at decent speed for crying out loud?! no wonder ppl mainly leech :D

oh one more thing how rapid should the transfer response be? i anticipated seconds/minutes.

EDIT:

also i cant test connection via utorrent built in tool that connects to different servers, tried all of em. everytime i have some error. port is forwarded properly.

Edited by tyrael

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey rafi, just wanted to thank you for taking the time to make/upgrade the guide as needed. It really helps to have all the tweaks in one place. I went through your whole guide and changed some settings that you recommended on my Windows 7 x64 and I no more have any speed or disk cache issues. Thank you and I hope you will continue to update the guide if needed with newer versions of utorrent. :)

I Need help downloading;

I downloaded the newest version 2.2 and i can't get anything to download. whenever i start a download the green arrow changes to red. i ran a speed test and the result was as follow; port is not open ( you still able to download). however; i can't download,, can anyone tell me what to do to get it started.. i don't have a router. I have a modern provider by my internet service provider; comcast - arris WBM760.

• 3 weeks later...

about the hissing sound and CPU load in win7 from version 2.x - found the solution

1 - in the settings of the network card in the properties

turning off the check IPV6

2 - At the command prompt enter: netsh interface ipv6 set teredo disabled

clicks in the sound of braking and stopped the problem goes away at all from the forum ixbt.com

dear moders do not delete message, is realy good help trick

Edited by madcat9000

I need Help!

My utorrent was working alright, until i tweaked it with a few changes on this thread. Now i cannot connect to many seeds/peers. I can connect to a few, maybe <20 per torrent. But it wont download from them. I get download speeds of 5kb/s to 7kb/s now.

I have Reset all the changes back to what they were before, but it doesnt work, still not working well.

I tried uninstalling utorrent, with all settings deleted, then reinstalling, but still the same situation.

I am using XP SP3

I tried downloading the popular torrents, with plenty of seeds/peers, but still the same result.

Now im trying utorrent 2.2.1, but still very slow download speeds.

The trackers are working.

I have a 1mbps connection, & im sure that this has nothing to do with ISP throttling.

Can anyone help me?

Additional info:

I have set more halfopen using lvlord patch

I have forwarded ports

The green icon is on, "working as it should"

I can connect to about 10 seeds. all 100%, but none allowing me to download (flag: small d)

Torrents that usually download at max speed, now download at 5kb/s, including popular TV-series torrents.

There are plenty of seeds on the torrent, yet i am not downloading.

Edited by win44

• 4 weeks later...

hi

i'm a new user and not able to download.it is always showing the yellow icon. when i'm running the set up guide and in the bandwith it is showing "x (result test failed)" and in network it is showing "port is not open (you are still able to download)".

i'm using wifi connection but previously it had worked perfectly fine in my previous office. in my present office wifi it is not working.

anti-virus software is "f-secure client sucurity"

can u help me plz.

thank