uTorrent v2.x/3.x - Best Practice Tips

rafi

rafi can u plz help me

hi

i'm a new user and not able to download.it is always showing the yellow icon. when i'm running the set up guide and in the bandwith it is showing "x (result test failed)" and in network it is showing "port is not open (you are still able to download)".

i'm using wifi connection but previously it had worked perfectly fine in my previous office. in my present office wifi it is not working.

anti-virus software is "f-secure client sucurity"

can u help me plz.

thank

• 1 month later...

first of all thx rafi for this :)

i try this alternative settings.dat files for 250K upload but i have 100 kb upload :P

My problem in first Was the downloading but after using the alternative settings.dat files for 250K

It became a wonderful thx bud

now my problem is upload i was upload Between 40 to 50 and some time 100 Kb

now it just 10 KB :)

I don't want to play in settings

Any suggestions

Sorry for my bad eng and thx for your time

3XTINSION : Better double-check your real speed at speedtest.net...

Hard to believe you have 100Kbit/s upload :P you probably mean 100KBYTE/s (800Kbit/sec). You can try increasing the Upload limit to ~90K or better try the 1Mbit/s example, and reduce the upload limit to 90K.

Edited by rafi

thx for replay bud

Speed has always been in upload 50 k some time 100 or 150 not stable but Most of the time 50 k

Is there any selection in Advanced Allows me to increasing the upload speed just to 50 or 60 or more

This update really help me a lot But I need to upload too so will give you some pic

this before settings.dat update :)

oiafzn.png

after

am5d7c.png

i use usb vodafone K3765

the usb speed 400 k down 60 k up not all the time some time

a gian sory for my bad eng

thx

3XTINSION

no, there is no advanced settings, except for pref->bandwidth->upload limit.

a. Just make sure you have set proper limit - 90% of your MAX upload speed

b. make sure the pref->bandwidth-># of upload slots is ~10.

c. See that you have set to the SAME pref-connection port# you had before and it IS forwarded correctly if needed

It's all in the notes I wrote. No sense really to repeat it here :P

The fact is that you have very few peers all-together, and it is up to THEM to connect to you ... they need your open port for that.

Edited by rafi

After speaking to my Internet Provider they did admit throttling the connection , this is done randomly. I DID READ the threads about how to dodge around this problem in another area of POSTS here .. very helpful , a must read as I THOUGHT THE TORRENT PROGRAM WAS THE ISSUE that was not the case .. so found.. 1 reset modem / reboot computer once, twice a day, more if needed.. 2 keep the upload speed just under your up limit by 10% or so total. and. 3 limit the connections per torrent and overall total. curremtly running about 600 max connections. and rotate the library of files to appease client requirements/ratio. Am able to maintain 500 to600 kB/s Download with Upload 90 to 100kB/s , can bring in a 2GB file in an hour ,.. if exceeding the 110 to120 kB/s upspeed , downspeed drops drastically and can not be recovered. only a hard reset and delayed a reboot will bring the connection back to speed. this took a couple of months trial and error to refine this.. But too many connections and everthing stalls out. and have to start all over..

new to windows 7, set up rules in firewall, set up static ip address, configured port forwarding.

having trouble connecting to peers (as you can see there are a lot of them to upload to) tried your suggestions.

Still can't figure why I can't stay connected to peers.

config.th.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

adv14.th.gif

adv58.th.gif

utorrent.th.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They haven't updated the help file since 12/6/2010? Several versions ago & now, not even after a full version change (3.0)?

There are so many new features / options since that help file was created, it's incredibly outdated. Why haven't they updated it at all?

I hope you're being facetious. They're making money or they wouldn't be able to / have incentive to keep releasing new versions / fixes on a very regular basis.

How bout if all the forum members pitch in a penny?

There's a lot of truth in the saying, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

One of the things I used to admire about uTorrent was the detailed Help file. It's frustrating for most users, with all the changes & new features & no detailed explanation. It's usually a bad sign when a complicated piece of software hasn't had ANY help file revisions for several releases.

Yes, I agree that relevant help file is a must for any software. Still, judging from past experience, this (and documentation in general) was never a strong suite of BT inc. The fact is, that this help file was compiled by Ultima, and I bet his limited time is the main reason for this delay (I know, it sounds like an excuse... ) ;)

Let's hope they all will have the time to do this soon, before it gets on the auto-update server!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...