uTorrent v2.x/3.x - Best Practice Tips

rafi

rafl, according to your guide, check how I've set up mine: iQxDi58ndLTEq.png

As you see, I'm just trying to avoid disk writing/reading as much as possible. I gave the limit ( 1.8GB ) of RAM to μTorrent... Now, I'd like to know, since I've disabled "write out finished pieces immediately" & "write out untouched blocks every 2 mins" when exactly it writes on disk? I've seen increased Memory usage, but not much. From ~20MB it went ~50-60MB... I thought it would start writing when all pieces were done or something and I'd see great RAM usage... Care to explain what happens in this case?

I don't mind if lose data in an electricity-down scenario nor if it start using 1.8GB RAM -that's the purpose, actually.

Edited by Deo Domuique

I'm just trying to avoid disk writing/reading as much as possible.

As long as your HD is fast enough it is not likely to fill up the cache. Eventually - data blocks will be written/read to the HD. If you really want to minimize IO, use my settings with a RAMDrive instead of the large cache, define it as the download destination, and auto-move the file to the HD when download completes.

Edited by rafi

RamDrive... So, as I see I need a specific software, right? I see a list of Ram Drive programs on Wikipedia... Which one would you propose to start with? A free, decent one?

I've μTorrent-related stuff on a normal HDD, which is a WD Black Sata 3 with 64MB buffer. I don't have problems, I'm just trying learn/test things.

Edited by Deo Domuique

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I add your settings.

but for me anyway DISK OVERLOADED

For me all torents Stoped. only one is active.

I added this torrent to one empty HDD.

there is torrent

https://mega.co.nz/#!vJ0B2aaC!NFAITCG2zF39K1dSRyRNMnGPJks_fPjh-MRnXmnmhmQ

and this torrent speed max ~1.7 MB/s but then DISK OVERLOADED speed down to kb/s

my internet speed

2592288832.png

Edited by benckis

3.3. on old settings and now disc overload gone.

My settings (changed per your connection speed & directories) + 3.3.1 is the best...

possible can you make settings file for me.

No. Those posted here are good enough... Modify them per your own upload speed , the instructions here and the speed-guide :P

Edited by rafi

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't with the newest build. you might want to try and test reverting back to an older build. :(

Your best sanity test should be when an empty settings.dat in the same path with the exe.

Edited by rafi

it only crashes when I use your .dat file. And trouble is I do not have an older built of 3.3.1 and I do not think they have a repository for the betas only the last build or ? Thanks.

OK found one but still crashes.... so I officially give up.:(

Edited by aydin1954