rafi

uTorrent v2.x/3.x - Best Practice Tips

If you look at my screen-shot, I'm not downloading anything at all - just seeding.

And I'm not pointing at any instability either.... The overhead is fairly constant compared to the payload (up or down) and the network monitor is always showing the same proportionate discrepency compared to what uT says it's using.

I don't doubt the figures that uT displays or those of the network monitor either. Both could be quite correct because 1) uT almost certainly has no idea of (and therefore cannot calculate and include) the OS specific overhead and 2) the network monitor doesn't give a monky's who or what is using the ethernet port, it just measures what is going through it and which way it's going.

It just seems obvious to me that those of us not on optical cable (that would be a good proportion of us here in the UK) which may well allow a more balanced/independant upstream and downstream speeds where the numbers match more closely like yours do.

Unfortunately, my experience does not match yours and I don't personally know anyone running on a fibre optical connection to make any sort of comparison.

My friend who lives just down the road (3 doors away) gets similar results as mine although his ISP is British Telecom and his lump of copper wire goes to the same telephone pole as mine and will go through the same network of cables, muxes, junction boxes etc right to the local exchange and that's where the interface is supplied/owned by the two different companies. From that, I conclude that my experience is not limited to my particular ISP.

If I allow 30KB/s upload, even when not downloading, my whole internet experience grinds to a halt (and everyone else on my intranet too) - so I have to cap the uploads at 20KB or I just can't surf or login to get emails. It's as simple as that.

Strangely, when not running uT, I can send a file at a very decent speed (considering how crap it is) and still surf without much of a hiccup. However, uT seems to swamp my connection if I let it upload at anything much more than 20KB; downloads don't seem to hit it anywhere near as badly even when running at almost max speed.

That's than oddity that I just can't explain.

Edited by freedomdwarf

So, if your issue is with upload, and you have a 1M upload (125K),  try and use ~100K as a limit, *BUT* set it to include overhead in that. This will ensure you always have 20K free upload.

At the same time, do not allow more then ~5 upload slots per torrent (70 total for your 14 torrents).

Edited by rafi

I hoping to avoid reading through many posts here to find out best disk cache settings for my 2tb 7200 rpm seagate hard drive and seem to be so many that can be tweaked I prefer to do it for my best situation and assuredly many others with same setup as mine.

So, if your issue is with upload, and you have a 1M upload (125K),  try and use ~100K as a limit, *BUT* set it to include overhead in that. This will ensure you always have 20K free upload.

At the same time, do not allow more then ~5 upload slots per torrent (70 total for your 14 torrents).

By coincidence rafi, I already had a max of 5 per torrent and had included the transport overhead :)

I tried the 100K upload setting and left it a few minutes. But as you can see from my screen-shot, apart from one peak, it hovers around the 70-80K area and the rate limit is all over the place.

I also had to reduce it back to 20K to be able to reply to the thread.

post-333443-0-37615600-1435758509_thumb.

Had trouble uploading the pic - hit a limit of 24.72KB??? Daily limit for the forums?

Meh! It says only 2.1K left and the pic is sooo small as to be almost unreadable.

I hoping to avoid reading through many posts here to find out best disk cache settings for my 2tb 7200 rpm seagate hard drive and seem to be so many that can be tweaked I prefer to do it for my best situation and assuredly many others with same setup as mine.

My Disk Cache settings here is all checked except the manual override (enable disk cache, both read and write).

I have never suffered disk thrashing, write behind errors, or any nasties at all.

In fact, my disk access light barely flashes even on a blistering (for me) download and that's storing it on a terribly ancient, extremely slow, virtually unbuffered 160GB Seagate HD on IDE connection (not even SATA).

Unless you're running a very very fast download, I don't think your 2TB drive will even break a sweat saving your torrent data. :)

PS: I run uT on XP SP3 and Win7 Ultimate and only have 3GB of DDR3 Ram installed.

Edited by freedomdwarf

My Disk Cache settings here is all checked except the manual override (enable disk cache, both read and write).

I have never suffered disk thrashing, write behind errors, or any nasties at all.

In fact, my disk access light barely flashes even on a blistering (for me) download and that's storing it on a terribly ancient, extremely slow, virtually unbuffered 160GB Seagate HD on IDE connection (not even SATA).

Unless you're running a very very fast download, I don't think your 2TB drive will even break a sweat saving your torrent data. :)

PS: I run uT on XP SP3 and Win7 Ultimate and only have 3GB of DDR3 Ram installed.

I am running 50/50 FIOS which they just fixed so it close to 58/60 now not sure if thats considered fast I know its fast for me anyways :)

By coincidence rafi, I already had a max of 5 per torrent and had included the transport overhead :)

I tried the 100K upload setting and left it a few minutes. But as you can see from my screen-shot, apart from one peak, it hovers around the 70-80K area and the rate limit is all over the place.

I also had to reduce it back to 20K to be able to reply to the thread.

attachicon.gifNetWorx vs uTorrent #2.jpg

Had trouble uploading the pic - hit a limit of 24.72KB??? Daily limit for the forums?

Meh! It says only 2.1K left and the pic is sooo small as to be almost unreadable.

If you measure 1M and get here only  20K - maybe your ISP is capping BT traffic... And your SS is too small to see anything...

If you measure 1M and get here only  20K - maybe your ISP is capping BT traffic... And your SS is too small to see anything...

I've checked several times with them over recent years and they absolutely assure me that torrent (or any other format) traffic is not capped, profiled, shaped, or monitored in any way (unlike many other ISP's) - one of the reasons I chose them in the first place.

And seeing as you are suggesting they are capping only the upload, that doesn't make any sense at all. Even less sense because if they capped/profiled torrent traffic like some ISP's do, everything else (all other data packets) would be working normally while torrent traffic got throttled - and that isn't what's happening here.

As for the 20KB upload limit, that's because uT (and only uT) seems to swamp my bandwidth to the point that it strangles my internet completely. I can (and do) run other P2P software with no ill effects at all - only uT uploading at anything over 20KB/s kills my internet access. That's why I have to throttle it back to 20KB to be able to surf, read emails and get on forums to post answers. Freenet (more P2P software) is given 100% both ways because it has virtually no impact on my internet even when it's quite busy.

CPU usage rarely goes over 5% unless I'm doing some really heavy video editing so the processors are not stressing no matter what uT is doing - even when I restrict it to a single core.

Yeah, my screen-shot had to get shrunk because my original pic was nearly 500K and the site only left me something less than 25KB to upload another pic. I guess that's a site issue/limit.

I am running 50/50 FIOS which they just fixed so it close to 58/60 now not sure if thats considered fast I know its fast for me anyways :)

So... at your max you'll get 60Mb/s which is roughly 6MB/s or less in actual payload.

Even a cheap~ish SATA drive will quite happily run at that rate.

I still wouldn't panic :)

So... at your max you'll get 60Mb/s which is roughly 6MB/s or less in actual payload.

Even a cheap~ish SATA drive will quite happily run at that rate.

I still wouldn't panic :)

No panic at all just like to tweak my settings if needed as I am techie like that.

I'm recently getting a "disk overload" error since having been downloading a torrent as big as 35 Gb excluding other torrents I'm trying to download with it. However, following your guide into fixing its issue on uTorrent 2.2.1, it did not worked for me. 

Edited by dothackjhe

I have no clue how many connected peers/seeds you had, or their distribution between torrents.

If uTorrent needs UPnP to get port forwarding working on your network...that comes as no surprise. If your router's support of UPnP is really bad/broken, UPnP can also be a disaster...

A new version of utorrent is finally buggy..... When do we get a fix? :)

Just FYI: my current version is 3.3.1 and it does find new updates. "Remove" and "Styart Torrent" buttons are often disabled and I cannot click on them until I minimize/maximize the window or double click on selected torrent.

To everyone that have posted in this thread, I'm going to update the tips/guide with a new entry in a couple of weeks - a recommended RSS-downloader-like application and TV shows management named -  Medusa. In its next release, it will included improvements I've added to it for better interacting with uTorrent using WebAPI. 

This is a heads up for whoever wants to give it a try. I will prepare also a min/max smart-files-size limiter for this app, so downloads can be picked up also according to your preferred file sizes.  So, keep tuned in... :) 

Edited by rafi