crashing - how to start over?

dalpura

I've been having crashes for some time now. Not sure what started it. After about 20 min of running uT will just completely freeze, and I'll have to restart the computer to open it up again because Windows cannot kill the process. Really annoying, as I used to just leave the PC on over night and let it do it's thing and can't anymore. Anyway, it decided today it was going to download really slow and there was something about ports not being open. So I found an FAQ here, followed all the steps for uT and my router, and managed to stuff it up something shocking.

I then thought I'll just start again with a fresh copy, but it remembers my old settings. Not sure where to find these either. I deleted the uT folder in usernames/appdata/roaming but no good.

How do I just start from scratch? And any ideas what would cause these freeze ups? On Vista. I do use ZoneAlarm, but I've been using both ZA and uT for years without issue. Maybe something to do with an update?

Help greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean about dumps? The files in the appdata folder are brand new since I deleted it earlier trying to start fresh on default settings.

I'll try uninstalling ZA then, still stuffed up my settings in uT though. lol

Thanks for the reply.

moogly you're a genius! Interesting fact, uninstalling ZA seems so far to have fixed the problem. I actually tried a couple of times disabling ZA and still had crashes. Comodo looks pretty good so far, cheers for recommending it.

Guess I'll just need to read up now and figure out this port opening thing to hopefully get some decent speeds happening again. I've followed the guide on portforward but uT still says it's not open. :/

Thanks heaps.

Archived