Vary Speed Through Script/Command Line

geekyone

I recently switched back to uTorrent, thankfully. Transmission...I'll just censor myself on that...

However, I was wondering if anyone here might have a suggestion on how to script a speed change into uTorrent. It doesn't have an apple script dictionary...but does it use cocoa? Could I possible send apple events to it? Is there a way to switch the speed limit through the Terminal? Or will I have to figure out how to script it through the user interface?

I saw in the Documentation that the PC version has a way to do something like this, I believe through the web interface...but I take it that's not possible on the Mac version?

Not talking about something as simple as a speed limit at certain times, so that wouldn't help me even if uTorrent Mac had the feature.

Note to other users: Please don't comment if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the innovative idea! I forgot even about this option, though I had looked into it a long time ago for another reason.

Does uTorrent send data out on any other ports than the one listed in the prefs?

And will limiting it in this way lower my speeds far below what limiting it in the prefs would? That was actually the final straw with Transmission for me. I looked at the network traffic and realized that when limiting my speed so others on the network could stream movies and such, Transmission was actually using more upload traffic to announce than it was actually seeding. In effect, more than doubling the actual upload traffic. Made me realize immediately why I had to limit the speed to such a degree.

Does uTorrent send data out on any other ports than the one listed in the prefs?

Maybe some data for DHT (not sure what port) or to check for an update (80).

It would be about the same. Its near impossible to have true throttling that always stays below the limit. But, µTorrent won't lie to you and say its following the limit if its a few KB over or such (at least, not unless there's a bug; see: PPC before 0.9.3.8). And µT does tend to actually stay near the limit.

Maybe I can use some of the built in network tools in OS X to determine what ports it's using. :) Thanks for the help.

Edit: After thought: Is the reason that uTorrent shows a low number of k on transfer on torrents that obviously aren't seeding because it's showing the data it's sending to announce?

Archived