utorrent + truecrypt encrypted system partition + SSD = freezing

urban.novak

When I start utorrent, my computer starts freezing. Actually, only SSD disk is frozen, resource monitor shows low CPU load and 100% Active Time for SSD disk. Any application that tries to read/write anything from disk becomes unresponsive. Freezing seems to occurs only when utorrent is running and my system partition is truecrypt encrypted. The freeze occurs about every 5 minutes and lasts for 60 seconds.

I'm running utorrent 2.0/18488/Windows 7 x64/Acer 5740G, harddisk replaced with X25-M 80GB.

Edit: I've tried to disable caching of disk reads/writes. My computer ran fine for a while without freezing. Then I enabled caching of disk reads and a minute later, my computer froze again.

It looks like caching of disk reads has some issue with truecrypt system encryption on SSDs.

• 6 months later...

THANK YOU! I have been trying to work out why this has been happening for a long time. If I use utorrent on its own and only have one download running, it is fine. As soon as I try and work on my laptop and download, freezing. Terribly annoying. I will now disable caching and see what happens.

Archived