speed specific torrent issue

ericdra ven77

Hey there,I just moved from usa to taiwan.. I was living here once b4, and very familiar with Utorrent, I wouldnt want to use any other client..

However, I cant get the speed i should be getting.. I took forever, and little reading i got speeds little better then they was.. NOW though, i seem to get great speeds from only one particular tracker.. All other downloads are not going as fast as they should be.. and I dont understand it.

In the past i would either get good speeds, or i wouldnt .. i have everything forwarded as normal, and always worked like a charm.. I tested speeds,and download should be about 800 kbs, and upload around 150.. I am not even getting close to this..

Best i can get is almost 400 kbs download.. the upload im not really worried about.. (im a leech and i know it)

I noticed if i have 5 torrents going.. from random places, and trackers... average speed per torrent will NOT go above 20 kbs... while one from a private tracker will get about 350+ on average..

Even if the others are going slower have 100x the # of users.. doesnt matter.. even if I stop the torrent going 350 kbs.. others will not even come close to matching the speed.. I have never seen this issue before now.. and its driving me batty.. i have been using torrents from the beginning, and this is 1st time i encountered this issue..

anyone have any ideas plzz.. enlighten me!

any thx in return!

PS

just a side note.. I have Vista athlon 2x 64, kaspersky (no malware) changed to many different various settings. tried to do the "set up wizard" it was a joke. said I was living in Greece.. wtf is up with that.. I tried to switch, but only other options were in USA, which i am not living in.

portforwarded on 6881 which seems to be the best one so far. i have tried various other ports, dont seem to make any difference. if there is a difference it is only worse..

I have tried with, and with out the router, and either way is the same.. driving me crazy trying to figure it out. Im pretty resourceful guy, but this is really got me puzzled

tried to do the "set up wizard" it was a joke. said I was living in Greece.. wtf is up with that.. I tried to switch, but only other options were in USA, which i am not living in.

Do you get all your torrents from Taiwan?

I would suggest using the closest location to you in the Setup Guide then. There are 2 listed in California and one in Washington state. Where does it say you have to be living there? I guess I can't use the setup guide because I don't live in NY and there is no location in my state.

no i dont get any of my torrents from taiwan. i goto the normal/usual places of course... TPB, ISOHUNT, or whatever...

well i have tried many different settings in utorrent.. i have the port 6881 i have forwarded, i have looked at wiki settings, and suggests 49,5xx- 69,xxx range.

i have tried various ports in that range, and for what ever reason i get better speed with port i have forwarded

that ctrl G speed setting is a joke.. Im in asia, and there is NOT even a option for anyone in this region of the globe.. why not?!

so I used LA since it is the next closest city.. when i try to run test from LA, it gives me a fat red X... WHY??

So if I choose Greece. it says my upload 52 kbs, and download is 314.. Which is not even close to what a internet speed confirms, it should be.. which is more like 112 up/750 dl...

since i know the connection is a 6 mb, I know the utorrent speed guide is not right.. port is forwarded correctly..

If i follow the speedguide, it will limit my upload speed to 3 kbs, connections to 20 per torrent 30 global, and only 1 active torrent/slot..

This is far from right.. In past I have had over 10 at once, and getting over 1.5 mbs speed.. doing what i am doing now.. I mean following the same port forwarding settings.. that is all i ever needed to worry about, was making sure the port was forwarded right...

I just re did the speed test again, and now says dl speed is only 140 kbs..

also till now, i have always used utorrent 1.6.1 bc many trackers have banned other versions.. Now that version even with half assed settings i using now, will not even get me close to speeds i was getting just a month ago, before i moved back to asia... wtf is going on with this...??

now.... since i have been testing other various ports... i cant even get back the dl speed i had last night... i went back to same port settings i using lastnight.. but since making the changes... getting only 14 kbs dl speed from torrent i know has 33xx seeders, and 6xxx leechers.... this is getting beyond frustrating at this point....

someone please have some real advice....?

I don't trust uTorrent's speed tests either, however CTRL+G shows a list of settings I was interested in knowing what you were using.

Going by your description you really have a ~1 megabit/sec upload connection rather than a 6 mbit/sec one.

So try the 2nd link in my signature, 1 mbit/sec upload settings.

ok i will give that a shot, and thx.. but what about ports.. i did run the Glasnost thing.. says this..:

Are certain ports blocked for all traffic?

1 out of 3 BitTorrent transfers on port 6881 failed to upload any data. It seems like your ISP hinders you from uploading BitTorrent traffic on port 6881 to our test server.

2 out of 3 BitTorrent transfers on port 38707 failed to upload any data. It seems like your ISP hinders you from uploading BitTorrent traffic on port 38707 to our test server.

1 out of 3 BitTorrent transfers on port 6881 failed to download any data. It seems like your ISP hinders you from downloading BitTorrent traffic on port 6881 to our test server.

1 out of 3 BitTorrent transfers on port 38707 failed to download any data. It seems like your ISP hinders you from downloading BitTorrent traffic on port 38707 to our test server.

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your uploads.

However, some of the measurements were affected by noise, which limits Glasnost ability to detect rate limiting.

Details:

* The measurement data is too noisy to detect whether your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. Re-running the test while ensuring that no other downloads or uploads are running in the background might fix this problem.

* Your ISP appears to rate limit uploads on port 38707. In our tests, uploads on port 6881 achieved up to 5 Kbps while uploads on port 38707 achieved up to 20 Kbps.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your downloads.

Details:

* Your ISP appears to rate limit your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 52 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 39 Kbps.

* Your ISP appears to rate limit downloads on port 38707. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 40 Kbps while downloads on port 38707 achieved up to 52 Kbps.

what ports can i use...? last time i ran this test it said something different, i just remember it said i was getting better speeds on port 6881, so that is what i switched.. now says im not

Try using port 8080 for uTorrent's listening port.

Force Encryption and don't allow incoming legacy (NOT encrypted) connections.

Knowing that your connection is almost certainly disrupted BitTorrent-wise, I'd say use far more conservative settings in uTorrent...ESPECIALLY very low global and per torrent connection max!

Like 30 connections per torrent and maybe 60 global connections.

While only seeding and/or downloading torrents with very few connections, you could lower max connections per torrent to only 10.

Disable Resolve IPs...and probably DHT (both kinds), and Local Peer Discovery.

Reduce bt.connect_speed to only 1 or 2. (That's 1 or 2 outgoing connections per second for both TCP and uTP if they're allowed.)

And make sure net.max_halfopen is 8 or lower...though probably best to not set it below 4.

If none of this seems to help...or even makes things seem slower, try the 3rd link in my signature.

You may be forced to use a proxy for tracker updates and/or VPN to get decent speeds. :(

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

However, some of the measurements were affected by noise, which limits Glasnost ability to detect rate limiting.

Details:

* The measurement data is too noisy to detect whether your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. Re-running the test while ensuring that no other downloads or uploads are running in the background might fix this problem.

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits uploads on port 6881 or 46491. In our tests, uploads on port 6881 achieved up to 67 Kbps while uploads on port 46491 achieved up to 67 Kbps.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.

Im about to give up... now I tested again.. says no indication of them throttling my traffic.. thx for the info,I will give that a try.. I just switched the port to 46491 since it says had the better dl speed of the 2 ports.. even though that is complete BS I should have atleast 600 kbs..... i dunno what to think at this point

Details:

* The measurement data is too noisy to detect whether your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. Re-running the test while ensuring that no other downloads or uploads are running in the background might fix this problem.

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits downloads on port 6881 or 46491. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 93 Kbps while downloads on port 46491 achieved up to 100 Kbps.

Archived