uTorrent 2.0.1 vs 1.8.5 - Speed

HighFreak1c

Ever since 1.8.5 (e.g. version 2.*.*) I've been getting shit speeds.

Rolling back to 1.8.5, installing over the top of 2.0.1 without changing any settings or anything, using the same .dat files I can replicate the speed issues.

bt_disposition settings don't matter, for this example they're both set to 255.

185h.th.png

201m.th.png

My ISP doesn't shape any traffic on this plan (I know because I work there).

So.. Why? All I can figure is the later implementation of UTP has messed things up royally.

My upload limit is fine.

My speed is fine on 1.8.5, it's only after upgrading to 2.0.1 without altering anything else that this problem occurs.

Also as far as I'm aware using 255 for disposition causes everything to be enabled, which theoretically should cause it to be fast right?

I have tried this on a Linksys WAG200G with stock Linksys firmware as well as OpenWAG firmware, as well as a Cisco 827 ADSL router. The issue is persistent and the exactly the SAME over both routers.

I think the only fix for this is to avoid using the fucking piece of crap that is uTorrent v2.0+

Why not just implement a button that says 'Turn off the fuck ups we made' instead of hiding it away under Advanced Settings. I hate to think how many normal users are having problems since upgrading and blaming things other than the client.

I'm a qualified network security engineer and this frustrates even me. Let's hope uTorrent v1.8.5 isn't blacklisted on any private trackers any time soon.

Does anyone have a link for 1.8.5? I upgraded to 2.0.1 and now my speeds are slow.. it won't even upload right..

I've got over plenty of speed guide for 2.0.1, and nothing seems to work.. I can't even seed fast.

So now I am looking for 1.8.5 to reinstall and get back to downloading fast; I didn't see an older versions link on the download page.. maybe I'm blind.

I won't be upgrading until again for awhile..

You don't HAVE TO do anything. It was suggested. Some reasons are here , further - keeping up with new and supported releases is for bug fixes and new features.

I fully agree with you that the devs could have done a better job, at least with proper/embedded instruction of what to change on update. But, when uT is a free software one cannot expect ALL his wishes to be as he likes ... ;)

And I'm sorry to hear that re-setting a single speed limit, or a single setting - is too hard for you ... :P

Well, first I already did all the changes I could (speed limit, bt.trans_disposition etc.) and I had no/few improvements.

Second, I agree that uTorrent is a free (and great) software and fulfills ALL my wishes. Just not the 2.x builds.

Third, I appreciate that uTorrent developers make new releases with new features but if this comes to the price of having speed reduced to 1/5th it makes no sense.

Of course I DON'T HAVE to do anything (never said that) just made the suggestion to review this build (and I'm not alone with that) maybe you can back my suggestion if isn't too hard for you ... ;)

"...why I should read and follow..." - is what I interpret as 'HAVE TO' . And I've also asked to review a few important issues here. Not this one though... . I think overhead should be included with the payload as default. But, you are welcome to revert calc_overhead back to false, transp_disposition back to 29, and get the same 1.8.5 behaviour ;)

@rafi

I had read several similar guides.. I glanced over that one and it looked like all the same stuff..

None of the suggested settings worked.. until I disabled net.calc_overhead; as soon as I did that my uploads/downloads jumped back to max.

So there is something wrong with that net.calc_overhead. At least for me; and several other users.. I'm not sure if having that enabled is best for default.

I'm back to full speed on version 2.01.. now I just gotta fix the web interface from needing me to clear my browser cache every time I login.. that my other 2.01 issue.

Edit: That was a lot easier.. just had to update the webui.

Thanks!

Well, yes, this is in the tips too (B -> the (*) note... ). It this one helped you, I doubt it very much that re-setting to an appropriate new upload limit wouldn't help too. What did you set it to ? and what's your connection's max upload speed ?

Exactly the same issue here at the moment, I'll see if the suggestions posted above will help me.

But I would expect an upgraded version to behave better or at least the same as the previous version without touching any settings?

--edit--

allright, only the

(*) Note: If after increasing your upload speed limit your download speed is still low, try setting net.calc_overhead = false . Use this only as a "last resort", since it can cause problems. Some uTorrent functions, such as the "Transfer Cap" meter will not function accurately.

fixed the problem.

(or setting the upload to unlimited, wich is not wanted here, because i'm living with more people in this house, and it's causing the connection to choke)

Thanks for your upgrade tips topic, but it shouldnt be needed.

Of course not. Reverting anything won't gave me the same 1.8.5 behaviour but ...

I'm glad to announce that the 2.02 (downloaded this morning) finally resolve the speed issues.

I think that is slightly faster than 1.85

As I said reviewing the build would have done the trick.

Regards ;)

the only thing changed was what Felyrion said - net.calc_overhead default. So there shouldn't be any difference in speed between those two releases if you have that setting - the same.

And you will have the same effect if you set a proper UL speed limit - to about 10-15% of what your expected download speed is.

Whatever.

What I'm saying is that 99% of the people just want a client that is fast right out of the box. So making a build in which you don't have to do anything is the best thing to do.

Of course switching from 1.8.x to 2.x releases had involved some bugfixing and I'm glad to see that the developers had done that in a timely manner.

Oh, and regarding "set a proper UL speed limit" of course I can't do that since most of the times I have no idea of what my expected download speed will be (like everybody).

since most of the times I have no idea of what my expected download speed will be

That's why you set it to ~10% of the maximum possible. No harm done. and you can set whatever you like as "Alternate UL rate when not downloading"

... and I'm not saying this system cannot be improved further...

Archived