UTorrent in Linux(Ubuntu)

zlot

I am a Linux newbie, for the most part, so take this with a grain of salt.

I also have Wine installed in Ubuntu, know what it is, and little else.

Feeling a little nonchalant, and not giving a darn, I downloaded UTorrent, then hit "Run" from the Firefox downloader....and, to my utter shock....it RAN...and ran well.

Looks a little groaty, display-wise, but the port is properly configured, and I'm downloading something as I write.

I managed to locate the executable and put a copy of it on my desktop.

I thought I'd have to do a special install in Wine...or at least SOMEthing special.

Nothing is too easy in Linux, although, I'm starting to get used to Ubuntu, and think it may be viable.

I was truly amazed to see uTorrent work this easily in Linux. Can someone tell me what I did right, because I have no idea. Is it using Wine automatically?

Nothing seems to happen automatically in Linux.

Installing programs gives me headaches!

Yet. this worked, slicker'n poop!

Please tell me something!

Thanks!

Anything you run in Wine looks a little groaty display wise. If this is what you consider groaty.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3753/screenshottorrent2014.png

I have no problem with the look.

My guess is that Firefox knew to open the application in Wine, and that is why it worked.

I use it on openSUSE, and despite there being other apps for Linux, find it the easiest to use.

You may want to go to the Idea Bank, and vote for a Linux version.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the response!

One thing I'm noticing about uTorrent in Linux is the way it takes over the bandwidth, which is why I've created an army of Virtual Machines.

Actually, QTorrent does quite well, although specifying my "Downloading" and "Downloaded" destination folders for incomplete and complete downloads is proving a bit problematic.(Downloaded keeps disappearing, and the downloads stay in downloading, even when complete, but it's a small problem in the cosmic scale of things).

My main Ubuntu machine is using 9.whatever, and I have a 10.04 Version. I think I'll just use uTorrent there. Right now, aside from the 9.X Ubuntu, the BIG current download is happening out of a Vista machine.

One thing that Is a bit of a pain, especially when you got a 100GB+ download going is that it occasionally looses it's mind(or, maybe the network connection)and has to do a re-check which can take a day. There seems to be little rhyme or reason to this.

But by and large, things are working out well.....

~Z~

PS Actually, your screenshot looked pretty clean to me, save for the lack of colors. My main source of groatiness is the fonts. Someone listed a fix for that, but it's slightly convaluted, so I'll probably just put up with it even though I've cut and pasted his directions....I'm getting lazy in my old age....

PPS 2nd edit:

Looks a helluva lot better when I installed it in Ubuntu 10.04....the only groatiness was in the fonts in the speed display panel.

• 3 months later...

I'm new to the system too and tried to install through Wine and keep getting the following error message;

The file '/home/damien/Downloads/utorrent.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

Any ideas?

I'm new to the system too and tried to install through Wine and keep getting the following error message;

The file '/home/damien/Downloads/utorrent.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

Any ideas?

It has to be installed in your .wine folder for one thing, so move it to Home/damien/.wine/drive_c and install it there. It's been a while since I installed anything in Wine, so be advised I could be wrong about the procedure. A little research first never hurt.

I have to ask did you download it from the uTorrent site or somewhere else?

If you downloaded it from here, I wouldn't be too concerned, but would read about the executable bit anyway just to be safe.

You can always use a Linux client, wait for the Linux version of uTorrent and beta test it like I plan to do. :)

I've moved it to the home folder, but there is no option available to install, just to open and that is when I get that error message. It was downloaded from utorrent, which is why I'm surprised by the type of error message I'm getting.

You can always use a Linux client, wait for the Linux version of uTorrent and beta test it like I plan to do. smile

Thanks, I'll think I'll try that.

• 4 weeks later...

Any ideas?

Right click utorrent.exe > Properties > On Permissions tab at the bottom, click check box for Allow Executing Program as File.

Or

sudo chmod +x ~/home/damien/Downloads/utorrent.exe

I've been using Windows version of uTorrent with Wine for 6 months. I've never been able to get it to install, but I can open it with Wine. It remembers directory and network preferences, but asks every time if I would like it to be my default torrent app.

Archived