a probale solution for cyclic redundancy error!

vergilius

What to do when this error creeps up on your screen?

This has been troubling quite a few people and recently i have fallen a victim to it

I recently bought a new internal hard disk (Western Digital 320 GB), installed windows waited about a day or two to install the new utorrent version 2.0.1 and on my first download the CRC error hit me like a truck. I just bought a brand new hard disk what is this all about, and on top of that computer went slow. I basically did what everybody says chkdsk, which came out to be futile.

I had to install new windows but as far as i knew a CRC error means the death of a hard disk.

So i had to figure something out and i didnt use utorrent for a few days and everything seemed to be fine. Finally i started downloading and then again the error came.

I had to try something different and it actually worked:

Here's what NOT to do when you get the error:

1. Don't force recheck.

2. Don't ignore and continue with doing other things

3. Don't chkdsk because a CRC error will not be solved with it.

What to do:

1. Immediately delete the file and torrent.......because its not gonna work anymore.

2. before doing anything else do a system restore which is very important. After the error you will notice everything on your computer will be slowed and system restore will restore the functionality of the computer and it will starts running at same pace as before.

Now how to get rid of it:

I noticed something that while downloading my upload speed always used to be unlimited, which is good because torrent are all about sharing. Either by chance or pure luck i decrease my upload speed.

My download speed is 70 Kb/s and i decreased my upload to 15 kb/s which is about 20% of my max download (70 kb/s) speed and the file got downloaded without any CRC error. I didn't change the location of the download folder.

Since then i have downloaded alot and not errors till now. After solving this problem i even took my hard drive to service center to get it checked and they gave it a green flag (basically no bad sectors of anykind what so ever)

I would like some input from the Admin on this

Thankyou.

What to do when this error creeps up on your screen?

This has been troubling quite a few people and recently i have fallen a victim to it

I recently bought a new internal hard disk (Western Digital 320 GB), installed windows waited about a day or two to install the new utorrent version 2.0.1 and on my first download the CRC error hit me like a truck. I just bought a brand new hard disk what is this all about, and on top of that computer went slow. I basically did what everybody says chkdsk, which came out to be futile.

I had to install new windows but as far as i knew a CRC error means the death of a hard disk.

So i had to figure something out and i didnt use utorrent for a few days and everything seemed to be fine. Finally i started downloading and then again the error came.

I had to try something different and it actually worked:

Here's what NOT to do when you get the error:

1. Don't force recheck.

2. Don't ignore and continue with doing other things

3. Don't chkdsk because a CRC error will not be solved with it.

What to do:

1. Immediately delete the file and torrent.......because its not gonna work anymore.

2. before doing anything else do a system restore which is very important. After the error you will notice everything on your computer will be slowed and system restore will restore the functionality of the computer and it will starts running at same pace as before.

Now how to get rid of it:

I noticed something that while downloading my upload speed always used to be unlimited, which is good because torrent are all about sharing. Either by chance or pure luck i decrease my upload speed.

My download speed is 70 Kb/s and i decreased my upload to 15 kb/s which is about 20% of my max download (70 kb/s) speed and the file got downloaded without any CRC error. I didn't change the location of the download folder.

Since then i have downloaded alot and not errors till now. After solving this problem i even took my hard drive to service center to get it checked and they gave it a green flag (basically no bad sectors of anykind what so ever)

I would like some input from the Admin on this

Thankyou.

well that's thing there are no more errors anymore since i set the upload speed to 20% of my max download speed. I won't say utorrent is not working or something but somehow high upload speed were giving CRC's as compared to low speeds. I hope you read my whole post which pretty much explains everything.

If limiting the speed THAT MUCH helped, then you have something on your system that is not playing nice, such as nvidia's forceware network access manager (never been known to directly cause this, but is a definite suspect considering its other history).

Your network adapter drivers may be doing something they shouldn't be.

Archived