µTorrent's newbie with many questions

Khane

Hi all

I am a complete noob to BitTorrent (less than a week) and after having tried five different BitTorrent clients I have decided that µTorrent is just fine for me and I have a few questions related to BitTorrent in general and µTorrent in particular. I apologize in advance for the long post and so many questions in one single post but I really want to learn to use µTorrent properly.If my questions have already been answered please link me to the relevant threads.

I am a complete non geek and my knowledge of technical computer related stuff is quite limited, so please if you are trying to help me I will be very thankful if you give me the explanations with the minimum technical jargon possible.

1. After I installed the original BitTorrent client I have downloaded the rules for Bittorrent from the Look 'n' Stop Web site and applied and saved them into my Look 'n' Stop Firewall and started to work with BitTorrent and it seems to work OK. Now that I have installed µTorrent and made it my default client , are the Look 'n' Stop rules for BitTorrent that I have previously installed OK or good enough to work fine with µTorrent or should I change something ?

The first file that I have downloaded (with the original BitTorrent client ) was a 350 MB file and it took less than four hours to complete successfully with an average download speed of about 80 KB/s almost right after the download started which is pretty amazing compared to eMule. I then downloaded a few other files again with the original BitTorrent client and the download speed was low (most of the time around 3 KB/s and 10 KB/s) but I understand that the download speed differs from file to file (availability , popularity etc.... ). Now that I work with µTorrent the download speed of the is also around 3 KB/s and 10 KB/s for each files (I download 2 files right now)

I have no idea if my download speed is low because of the availability of the files I download (which in fact means that download speed is OK ) or because of something wrong in my µTorrent settings or maybe with my firewall settings.

2. On the bottom of the µTorrent main interface I read on the left "Download limited" ( what does that mean and why ? I also read "DHT (0 Peers (Login)" or sometime "Waiting to log in". What is DHT ? What is it for ? "Network" is OK

3. I have read in the µTorrent FAQ page that I can change the value of upload and download by right clicking on the bottom menu but I have no clue of what the right settings are, or to according what are the rule for rule for picking values. While working with eMule the rule is that if you set your upload to a great speed then you are rewarded after a while with great download speed; I guess this rule works with BitTorrent , so what are the right settings ?

4 . I have right now 3 completed files that I have previously downloaded and I keep them opened in µTorrent for seeding. One of them seems "active" because from time to time I see that the users are uploading (uploaded shows now 28 MB) but the two other files seems to be inactive since the first minute I open them for seeding two days ago (uploaded 0 MB). Does that mean that nobody is interested in this files ? Should I remove them ?

5. What about multiple downloading ? Friends of mine use to download with eMule more than 30 files at the same time without any problems and and in spite that I know that multiple downloads is possible with µTorrent I have no idea how much it is recommended and if so how many files is it safe/recommended to download at the same time ? Is there any relation between the number of files I download and the files I keep open for seedings ?

6. In the Network Option Settings of µTorrent the value for "Port used for incoming connections" is 32459. Anything to be changed there ?

7. In the Seeding Priority Setting I read :Ratio is 150; What does that mean and under "When Torrent has reached the seeding goal" , "Limit the upload" is checked and the value on the right is 0 KB/s

Thank you in advance for taking your time to read and answer my questions.

2) http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#What_does_Download_Limited_in_the_status_bar_mean.3F

Means don't be a leech and use a proper upload cap. 75% of your max upload is a good place to start.

DHT showing 0 peers means the firewall is blocking UDP. You must allow all outgoing ports on TCP and UDP, and allow incoming on the port you specified.

7) http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_make_.C2.B5Torrent_stop_seeding_at_a_specific_share_ratio.3F

Hi Firon

Thanks for helping

use a proper upload cap. 75% of your max upload is a good place to start

Fine but how do I know what my max upload is ?

DHT showing 0 peers means the firewall is blocking UDP. You must allow all outgoing ports on TCP and UDP, and allow incoming on the port you specified.

Sorry but I have no idea what are UDP and TCP and how do I allow all outgoing ports on the so called UDP and TCP.

I have no idea what is the "port I specified" ( what ever "port" means ); I never specified any "port" and if I did it then it maybe only while clicking automatically when asked by my firewall when I launched launched µTorrent for the first time or when I installed the rules for BitTorrent I downloaded from Look 'n' Stop Firewall web site.

I just clicked OK on the pop up window that appeared when I launched µTorrent the first time so my firewall would let me work with µTorrent . I guess that what you advise me to do is what is called set a rule for my firewall but I have not idea how to do that ( what to click , what values to write and why, etc...)

It seems that I should do some Goggle search about Port , UDP and TCP , before I can configure my firewall and µTorrent so they can work OK together.

Thanks for helping

Khane, you could find out what your upload speed is at a speed testing website, such as testmy.net (click on "upload speed test"). Just make sure you're not using your connection for anything else, before you begin testing.

And yes, it would probably be best for you to understand what those terms mean (and how bittorrent works), before trying to configure your firewall :) (good luck with that).

I'll follow Harry's advice and I'll spend the next few days to learn a bit more how Bittorent works and understand what those terms mean to be able to tweak my firewall and then come back later with a better understanding.

Thank you very much for trying to help me :)

I download uTorrent from "the free movies". I just open uTorrent for the 1st time and got a warning..if I paid for this I was scammed and to visit the web site. Here I am but can't find any info on this. I paid $21.00 us. All the sites they offered I now know they are free. Should I just chalk it up as lessons of a newbie?

Firon and Harry Poppins

I followed you advices and I solved almost all my firewall and my µTorrent problems. I have configured my firewall OK and the DHT problem was solved but I still had a very slow download speed. I did several download speed tests with my Internet provider and they showed an average of 105 KB/s which is for quite slow for my 1.5MG adsl connection . The problem was some faulty configuration from my provider and he solved the problem; the next download speed tests show an average speed of 170 KB/s. I have a few other questions which I'll post in an other thread.

Thank you again for helping.

Khane

• 2 months later...

hi, i have a torrent which contains multiple files. I want to know whether i could download two different files from the same torrent such that both the files have different locations on different drives. How can i do this?

i have one more problem....whenever i put a torrent for downloading, i give it a location like....'C:\folder\file.avi'. The torrent then startes downloading, and when i right click and 'open containing folder' nothing comes up. Instead i get a message saying, "the path 'C:\folder\file.avi' does not exist or is not a directory". It keeps downloading, only i dont know where the file is. please help!!!

better than making a new thread? IDK, this forum is pure evil.

Btw, did you see the newest forum of our good ol' "friend" - known also as the most cheating torrent client? After seeing that one and the quality of tech support presented there I predict further and more rapid growth of utorrent users, mwhahahaha :D

please help me before i doqnload utorrent i use another one client.the i download utorrent but something happens and now i haven't got defaut torrent tracker.how i can make utorrent defaut torrent client because my friends told me that after turn on my computer the client will ask me to make it defaut client but utorrent didn't do that!help please

Btw kurahashi, beta 460 has much better upload slot control, it automatically lowers the upload slots as needed. Turn on the debug column and look at the third number.

Third number? I dunno, I am always seeing only two of them, really - for example 0|-1

But yes, I've noticed that uTorrent now doesn't allow to have too many up slots open. Seems 2kB/s is a magic number here, right? Well, its not exactly what I was suggesting, you've mounted it as an emergency brake only :P It is good having this 2kB/s border as a minimum, but maybe do it user modable - if someone wanted to raise it higher?

Still, I admit this is the move done in the right way, so I'm pulling down my protest flag - for now ;)

BTW, upload seems a little bit unstable now. I've noticed many times when uTorrent was "forgetting" to open another upload slot leaving the available upstream unused. This usually doesn't last for a long time though.

Archived