µTorrent 2.2 "Griffin" beta 22538

Firon

This release marks the first commercial-imposed "feature" added to uTorrent.

This new shitty icon that is shown all times in our bottom-right corner telling we need a stupid BT anti-virus, which we don't; it is just to promote BitDefender which is a paid anti-virus.

As TorrentFreak's predicted (well maybe not in 2010 but in 2011 I believe) uTorrent will become resource hog and remove the "a very tiny BT client" tagline.

http://torrentfreak.com/five-bittorrent-predictions-for-2010-100101/

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too was upgraded to this beta, and hated it. Needless to say, I downloaded 2.0.3 again. I really hope you're going to still offer a lightweight version without all the other crap. If not, you might as well just remove the µ from it's name, and watch a lot of users leave.

I have always loved µTorrent for it's powerful yet simple and non-bloated interface, please at least give us the option of keeping that.

I know it's all been said here before but the more people agree on this, the earlier devs can see how many people are unhappy with this release.

I automatically went from 2.0.3 to 2.2 (this was supposed to happen?), and what an eye-sore.

The icons are terribly confusing for someone who's used to blue meaning what it meant for years. I have to do double-takes all the time because downloads look like uploads and the rest is all green (also, hella ugly, but that's not that important).

Expandable side menus -> what for? I have all this white space in the side bar, yet I still have to click multiple times before I have the old overview back. Completely unnecessary and very annoying. I understand the lack of alphabetical sorting was a small error, but it's not yet fixed in the new build.

I don't use feeds, and I don't use apps -> time to make those parts of the side panels easily removable. The AV, well, it installs for me but won't work and won't update, it is not customizable in any sense . And then there is the icon!

I'm used to this nonsense from proper AV programs, but not from usually inobtrusive uTorrent! What a sell-out, and what a nonsense, my current AV does what it's supposed to do and this is a major turn-off. Can this not be disabled?

The possibility of Apps is great, improving modability by letting users install what they want to, stuff the general user doesn't need but still having the option to do so without making the client bloated for everyone. I love this system with browsers, games and whatnot. I will definitely use the new web options to manage my seedbox here when it's in a stable release.

But the implementation is horrible, no option to disable the section and even constant urging to install a useless, worthless app!

The streaming part actually works for me, but I could do that in other clients, which I don't use, because I prefer nonbloatedness.

The best outcome would be: old icons back (was there anything wrong with them? Or you know, customizability), no expandable sidemenus (or by default expanded when amount of labels/feeds <20), option to disable find content, app and rss sections easily, no bitguard warnings, making streaming optional by creating separate clients (a bloated one and a lightweight one) or making it some sort of app/plugin.

The main sell points for uTorrent are lightness together with customizability and uTP. Let's not ruin the first two points, because another client will take its place.

I have the next problem, in the labels not show the number of torrents in each label, show in 'Labels' (root label) the number of total torrents in all labels, but in the break down of each inherit labels (TV shows, Movies...) not shown the number of torrents in this label. :(

utorrentm.png

I know it's all been said here before but the more people agree on this, the earlier devs can see how many people are unhappy with this release.

I automatically went from 2.0.3 to 2.2 (this was supposed to happen?), and what an eye-sore.

The icons are terribly confusing for someone who's used to blue meaning what it meant for years. I have to do double-takes all the time because downloads look like uploads and the rest is all green (also, hella ugly, but that's not that important).

Expandable side menus -> what for? I have all this white space in the side bar, yet I still have to click multiple times before I have the old overview back. Completely unnecessary and very annoying. I understand the lack of alphabetical sorting was a small error, but it's not yet fixed in the new build.

It's going to be fixed so it will remember the expanded state across sessions (and what you were last looking at, too). Sorting will come in the next build.

I don't use feeds, and I don't use apps -> time to make those parts of the side panels easily removable. The AV, well, it installs for me but won't work and won't update, it is not customizable in any sense . And then there is the icon!

I'm used to this nonsense from proper AV programs, but not from usually inobtrusive uTorrent! What a sell-out, and what a nonsense, my current AV does what it's supposed to do and this is a major turn-off. Can this not be disabled?

RSS has always been in the sidebar, the AV app definitely has some problems, and we're working on being able to disable the icon (though is it really that big of a deal? it's just an icon in the status bar). We aren't finished.

The possibility of Apps is great, improving modability by letting users install what they want to, stuff the general user doesn't need but still having the option to do so without making the client bloated for everyone. I love this system with browsers, games and whatnot. I will definitely use the new web options to manage my seedbox here when it's in a stable release.

But the implementation is horrible, no option to disable the section and even constant urging to install a useless, worthless app!

If you're not using apps, it doesn't actually do anything. It's just an extra item in the list. We're working on making it possible to remove apps from the sidebar.

The streaming part actually works for me, but I could do that in other clients, which I don't use, because I prefer nonbloatedness.

It doesn't use any resources if you're not using it. Didn't even take much code to add into the client, the way we did it (and real streaming is only in 3.0, not 2.2).

The best outcome would be: old icons back (was there anything wrong with them? Or you know, customizability), no expandable sidemenus (or by default expanded when amount of labels/feeds <20), option to disable find content, app and rss sections easily, no bitguard warnings, making streaming optional by creating separate clients (a bloated one and a lightweight one) or making it some sort of app/plugin.

The main sell points for uTorrent are lightness together with customizability and uTP. Let's not ruin the first two points, because another client will take its place.

You do realize that you can skin the client, right? We have that whole skins section at the top of every page. So if you don't like any of the icons, you can change them to your heart's content. We're still tweaking the built-in ones, though.

And again, streaming has no impact on resource consumption. Same for apps.

Keep in mind this is a beta, and we're not done.

I have the next problem, in the labels not show the number of torrents in each label, show in 'Labels' (root label) the number of total torrents in all labels, but in the break down of each inherit labels (TV shows, Movies...) not shown the number of torrents in this label. :(

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9751/utorrentm.png

It's going to be added. Just sit tight.

So, how do I disable the apps feature and any non-torrent based features?

Just don't use apps and it does nothing. We'll probably add a way to remove it from the sidebar later, though.

Archived