µTorrent 2.2 "Griffin" beta 22538

Firon

Thanks a bundle. Most people come here to complain about stuff not working (and rightly so if such is the case) but overall I for one really appreciate how well our feedback is listened to. For one thing you gave the impression of not understanding why people would almost hate the new icons, but still you've made us a skin of the old ones.

This and other experiences really make me feel we as end users get our feedback noticed and used in the most direct and swift way in the cases you guys deem it right, also in less trivial cases. Such customer service is rare but well appreciated.

Not saying all is perfect (one can't expect that from a beta build).

The current icons aren't final (I can't say I'm in love with them), so we are listening to feedback on even that. :) Still, no matter what we do, some people will never like the new icons. So we give you the ability to change back easily.

We definitely appreciate the feedback greatly, and hopefully we'll be able to keep you happy in the future. :D

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remove the torrents or put the files back in place. It's seriously a sane way for µTorrent to operate. It's making sure that everything loaded into it is in a consistent state.

But these torrents are FINISHED! Who cares if their files are in place or not? uT doesn't operate with them until torrent status' changing. What is unsane to check their availability on changing torrent status?

Eventually we'll have a method to archive torrents for real, so that then you won't have this issue, but for now, this is how it will work.

I just see no sense... uT has had such a "method". And everything was fine. Until this so-called "bug" has been fixed after 21738.

For me, your obstinacy in this question means that I'm forced to stay on 21738 regardless of any bugfixes or features in new builds. And that's really bad :(.

I vote for an advanced option to control this behaviour! Everyone's invited to join me! :)

I have to agree with GCRaistlin. Until you implement this archive method set the file check back to it's previous behavior. There is no reason to check files on finished torrents unless the torrents are manually restarted. My P3 866MHz torrent box does not appreciate checking thousands of files on finished torrents every time utorrent starts.

It is annoying for no reason and goes against utorrents (very) tiny and efficient ideology.

On a different note, has there been any discussion on expanding the power of labels so that they can control other things about torrents beyond download location, such as minimum ratio and seeding time? I know this feature has been requested many times for many years.

I just see no sense... uT has had such a "method". And everything was fine. Until this so-called "bug" has been fixed after 21738.

For me, your obstinacy in this question means that I'm forced to stay on 21738 regardless of any bugfixes or features in new builds. And that's really bad :(.

I vote for an advanced option to control this behaviour! Everyone's invited to join me! :)

Or, stop moving your files out of the way. Or put them in another label and don't look at them. The fact of the matter is that the torrents are in an unusable state. You can't seed them at any time. Therefore, they are broken.

This is -correct- behavior.

Firon wrote:
rafi wrote:

2.2 new tool-bar icons causing weird issues when running 2.04 after it , and then running it again after 2.04 ... Not that I care much about the icons, just about side effects

Edit: 2.04 is with skin. 2.2 w/o skin. XP/SP2

I don't care what 2.0.4 does. If it looks fine in 2.2, then that's good enough. The skin is intended only for use on 2.2 anyway.

whatever. I'm not using 2.2 anyways, yet ... just pay attention to the other fact - that 4 tool-bar buttons are missing in your design, when RSS is selected (like the add-torrent one, that is still in the context menu). If you want bottons to be context sensitive - it would be nice if you add "download" and "open in browser" buttons to the RSS view (or even use the 'start' button for 'download' function.

Just because we haven't addressed YOUR issue doesn't mean we aren't addressing any issues. Be patient.

Crappy upload issues are not MY issues, they are yours (uT's) ... :P

Please look at the status bar, when we set both "show overhead" and "show speed limit" on. The last few letters of the upload part ends up eaten by the "network ok" icon.

It's for backward compatibility (same as in 2.04) ... No one've cared about that ;)

Just remove the torrents or put the files back in place. It's seriously a sane way for µTorrent to operate. It's making sure that everything loaded into it is in a consistent state.

But these torrents are FINISHED! Who cares if their files are in place or not? uT doesn't operate with them until torrent status' changing. What is unsane to check their availability on changing torrent status?

I've actually got to agree with Firon's logic on this one. If the torrents are "finished" as you say, but you have unmounted the drive or moved the files to a place where they cannot currently be seeded from, what's the purpose of even having it loaded in the program? Just save a copy of the .torrent file with the files so you can reload it if or when you decide to seed them again.

Hey guys, sorry if it's been mentioned before (I wasn't about to go through 15 pages to look for it) but I'm having some problems seeding with 2.2b.

I've had it configured to seed a max of 4 torrents at a time, but now it's seeding like 18 (though only 4 are actually moving). There are red bars on 4 of my torrents too that will no longer seed.

The graph displaying the seeding is all over the show too, where it used to be pretty flatlined at the most it could go (at about 33kB/s). Anyone else having similar problems? I'll be going back to the later version I think... I need to seed these damn things as fast as I can to keep my ratio at 1.5.

Or, stop moving your files out of the way. Or put them in another label and don't look at them.

If the torrents are "finished" as you say, but you have unmounted the drive or moved the files to a place where they cannot currently be seeded from, what's the purpose of even having it loaded in the program? Just save a copy of the .torrent file with the files so you can reload it if or when you decide to seed them again.

OK, I wasn't going to describe my "technology" to handle torrents and its files - just didn't want to waste your time, but it seems to be necessary.

I have 9 1,5 Tbytes HDDs with contents downloaded from trackers. Only 4 of them can be installed to my home server simultaneously. That's why I can't "stop moving your files out of the way". Besides that, it works in 24/7 mode, so it's a question of energy saving.

But there IS the sense to have it loaded in the program. Firstly, I can at any time unmount one HDD and replace it with another (or just copy a folder with certain torrent contents from an "inactive" HDD to an "active" HDD). Secondly (and more actually), I keep them for history purposes.

Why can't I "save a copy of the .torrent file with the files so I can reload it if or when I decide to seed them again"? How do you think is this a way to organize 1770 torrents keeping its original names? No way. So here's my technology. When I add a .torrent file to uT I copy corresponding topic's name to its label. When download is done I rename corresponding folder to the label's contents, rename torrent name in list, too, then remove label. So I don't want to lose all these changes by readding a torrent to list.

I can't use labels to categorize torrents as archive - because there's no way to show "all torrents except having certain label", and completed torrents have to not have labels at all.

When I want to watch a movie I can easily ascertain if it is on my server or I need to go for the box where my "inactive" HDDs stored: I'm looking for its name in list and if torrent status is Finished then the files are on an "inactive" HDD. Yes I've heard about WhereIsIt and use it but in practice it's easier and quicker to take a look at uT list than launching WhereIsIt.

The fact of the matter is that the torrents are in an unusable state. You can't seed them at any time. Therefore, they are broken.

Definitely no. They will be broken if I'll try to seed them. But I expect it and will put the files back before I'll do.

You have done a step in a direction that Windows and other M$ software is going for a long time. It's called "software as a good friend that will correct silly user's actions". And it's wrong way! The right one is "sofware as a slave that will do what user said to do regardless of he/she is silly or not". The user should have a possibility to take responsibility for his/her actions. That's the question of principle. Thank you for taken time.

Support! The problem there. I reported this at the same writing! If this is not fixed - it is necessary to change the settings. The user should be a choice. I remain at 21,738.

Please look at the status bar, when we set both "show overhead" and "show speed limit" on. The last few letters of the upload part ends up eaten by the "network ok" icon.

Thanks.

Hmm. This has kind of always been a problem. I'm not sure if we'll do anything about it for 2.2, but we will at some point.

I use 2.2 beta 22117.

When Socks5 proxy enable and press "OK"' date=' crash utorrent.

2.2 beta 22007 have no crash.[/quote']

Do you have the dump file? I'm not seeing a crash.

Sorry, I mistake the settings.

I might find out the cause of the crash.

I'm using the Tor.

To enable the Socks5 port9050, OK is pressed.

Then Tor will log an error.

[Warning] socks5: command 3 not recognized. Rejecting.

[Warning] Fetching socks handshake failed. Closing.

Is there an error in data sent to Tor from utorrent?

or my settings is bad?

This will be fixed in the next 2.2. The 100% CPU hang with putty should be too.

There's is abug in latest 2.2 version of uTorrent causing issues with upload.
I've added some screenshots there.

One more thing - a small GUI issue:

In the advanced ->"set download location" the dialog is not opened with the default path of you downloads location . Can you please fix it that whenever it cannot detect the current path - it will default to the one you defined for your downloads ? It's very annoying to re-open it manually every time from the root.

The same thing is actually implemented *correctly* in the "add torrent". The dialog always opens in the path you've set for your torrents :) So just do it here as well.

Thanks!

Hi,

I have a cosmetic request. When we are downloading a torrent, the number 0% is displayed in black and the color green appears little by little as the download progress and then starts to covers that number which is no longer black but becomes white.

So that it is hard to read the percentage.

My request is: could you avoid the figure to be displayed in white and keep it black?

My other request should be to add in the options the possibility to change ourselves the colors so that everybody could put what they want. Green is great but I find it to bright to my personal taste, a bit darker would suit better, but not for others I suppose, so that adding a color options would be great.

Thank you very. :)

Hello Everyone,

Right now I am using "µTorrent beta (2.2 build 22117)"

I am using 3G network through my wire-less USB modem. Tower shows always 4 out of 5, but strength of network and bit transfer rate is very poor (avg. 600-850kbps). So that I do NOT getting so much transfer rate which actually provided by 3G network (3.5MBps) and that's why download speed does not exceed 80-100KBps. My modem (3G enable) capacity is upto 7.5 MBps. I have verified my Download and Upload SPEED TEST form different site at different time, and as per result of those Speed Test, my Maximum Download Speed is approx. 500 KBPS and Upload Speed is approx. 56KBPS.

My operating system is Windows XP SP3, 32bit.

So PLEASE guide me for BEST setup to get best performance with "µTorrent" including the "Advance setup" which is a special features of "µ Torrent" and also mention the BEST version of µ Torrent.

Please attach any setup IMAGE or VIDEO LINKS for better understanding.

THANK YOU...

- Fix: set download location now works properly with !ut extension
Rafi:

One more thing - a small GUI issue:

In the advanced ->"set download location" the dialog is not opened with the default path of you downloads location . Can you please fix it that whenever it cannot detect the current path - it will default to the one you defined for your downloads ? It's very annoying to re-open it manually every time from the root.

Was that ^ modified too ? And are new sub-folders for multi-files torrents NOT being created any more (do to make it like 2.04) ?

ut stop freezing at startup, with sock5 proxy enable, in Version 2.2 Beta (build 22328) ..

i've just a little bug, incoming connection stop working !!!

incoming connection coming to ut in cosonle log, but ut don't opening the transfert .

[2010-10-06 09:41:58]  Incoming connection from 127.0.0.1:2092[2010-10-06 09:41:58]  Incoming connection from 127.0.0.1:2094[2010-10-06 09:41:59]  Incoming connection from 127.0.0.1:2102[2010-10-06 09:41:59]  Incoming connection from 127.0.0.1:2103[2010-10-06 09:41:59]  Incoming connection from 127.0.0.1:2104[2010-10-06 09:42:01]  Incoming connection from 127.0.0.1:2119...

with local proxy, incoming connection are binding to localhost 127.0.0.1, like this old screenshot

utorrentincoming.th.jpg

Archived