µTorrent 2.2 "Griffin" beta 22538

Firon

In the labels not show the number of torrents in each label, show in 'Labels' (general label) the number of total torrents in all labels, but in the break down of each label (TV shows, Movies...) not shown the number of torrents in this label. :(

screenshotuv.png

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stupid new "antivirus not installed" icon that pops up isn't even right...

Say what you will regarding whether or not MS' Security Essentials counts as AV or not, but to me it does. And I have it running... But uTorrent doesn't apparently see it.

uTorrent, please stick to your "reason for being written" in the first place... "LIGHT, FAST" client. I don't need uTorrent to act as AV, or even tell me about my AV situation.

I'm not liking what I see in uTorrent's future..

I have to agree with all the posts regarding the AV warning. I'm running linux, what good is bitdefender going to do for me? At the very least, it would be be nice to have an option to disable the warning icon.

Also, why is there no way to close the different category windows without opening up the category list window? I prefer running uTorrent without the clutter... just give me a clean view of my torrents, that's all I need. Yet if I click on something like the AV warning icon, I have to open up the category view in order to get out of that screen. Obviously others have had problems with this as well. Why not just put a 'close window' icon on the screen?

1-once again download dialog on adding new torrent doesn't work no matter wheter i check it in preferences or not

2-new anti-virus icon/warning is obtrusive and unnecessary - don't make me feel like a complete moron - I can't manage security on my own

3-new webapps - I should be able to turn them off more easily (small tick in advanced preferences just doesn't cut it... while I'm at it - an filter in that section would be a great improvement)

I really don't like the new UI at all. The category view.. awful.. I liked the old method it was nice tidy and small.. the toolbar not going all the cross is awful. The apps being in the main window.. put it in as a menu not showing all the time in the main window.. Now uTorrent is starting to look like a bloated client not the lean mean client it's always been.. changing UI is not better. The download buttons and upload buttons are so big and green it's hard to tell at a glance now what is seeding and downloading.. This beta the UI looks awful in general.

To #56: in my case both options doesn't show the dialog when I add new torrent.

For me the new style of the category list is worst looking idea ever.

1. there aren't any colour differences between column

2. the number of torrents in category is senselessly lost

3. Option to Find Content should by dispensable or you should remove it totally or make it searching in torrents in uTorrent or something like this.

4. uApp - ok you want to be multi...whatever, but from my view only one application from current list is a little bit interesting but not necessary (uMap)

You should focus on better implementation of Magnet links functionality like as the Choosing the download directory etc. (more on http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=64278 or http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263-torrent-for-windows/suggestions/702108-throw-save-as-dialog-upon-getting-magnet-link-da?ref=title)

To #56: in my case both options doesn't show the dialog when I add new torrent.

For me the new style of the category list is worst looking idea ever.

1. there aren't any colour differences between column

2. the number of torrents in category is senselessly lost

3. Option to Find Content should by dispensable or you should remove it totally or make it searching in torrents in uTorrent or something like this.

4. uApp - ok you want to be multi...whatever, but from my view only one application from current list is a little bit interesting but not necessary (uMap)

You should focus on better implementation of Magnet links functionality like as the Choosing the download directory etc. (more on http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=64278 or http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263-torrent-for-windows/suggestions/702108-throw-save-as-dialog-upon-getting-magnet-link-da?ref=title)

1) yeah, the new icons look pretty shitty. I don't like them at all.

2) it's a bug

3) you can. gui.find_pane

bloaTorrent? Please, make it possible to hide all non-torrent stuff from the menu on the left! Find content? Feeds? Apps? Wtf man! What's next? Magic internet explorer popup-killer toolbar?

With that said - I get a scroll bar at the bottom of that menu no matter what. See image:

http://image.bayimg.com/oaolbaaca.jpg

Scrollbar is a bug. Feeds are just RSS, so that's nothing new. Just a rename of something that was already there. You can remove the find content if you want.

A tiny peculiarity that I noticed just now. If you're in the files tab and press the Tab key, focus is no longer moved to the torrent in the upper field. Similarly if you've selected a torrent in the torrent field and hits Tab, focus is shifted to the line of tabs rather than into the list of files for that torrent (assuming the files tab was the one showing). Pressing the Tab key again at that point moves focus to some off planar existence, never to appear elsewhere again. :) Hope that made some sense.

I registered to fill my complaint when uT offered a new update to 2.2 this morning (I have update to beta checked). I thought it was cool and all and obviously updated. To my hungover self it presented a version of uTorrent completely different from what I was used to.

Now, people have a hard time adjusting to changes, but sometimes it's easier and sometimes it's harder. This time it was hard. Very, very hard.

1) The new icons. It's obviously an attempt to make it look flashy and more up-to-date, dare I even say web 2.0? When was that anyway, 2001? Well, cool story bro, but they look like crap and are hard to differentiate between. And you even have to expand certain categories now (for whatever idiotic reason). From a users point of view it's horrible and I'd really like to know the designers reasons behind choosing them. Yeah, let's make the new icons all the same color and in a minimalistic design, that makes it easier to see the different categories! Wait...... Oh, while we're at it, let's make completed torrents blue, cause that's what people associate completed stuff with....

2) All of the settings have been reset, in terms of how it should look and how it has looked for the past year(s). New labels have been introduced and I can't even fathom for what reasons a link to some media player has been introduced (it obviously doesn't even recognize one when I have several installed). This is truly an idiotic way to introduce new labels to people. Why not a pop-up, when prompted to update, what's new in the version presented?

3) Again I had to expand the RSS "icon" to see my labels (wsup wide side pane). Not even does it have a bullshit icon, but it also has the whole URL in the label title. I now have a 30 mile wide scroll bar down below. Thanks, but I don't really need to see the URL when I already have a label for my RSS feed.

4) "Apps." Well, I don't even know where to being, but it's apparent you try to be like everyone else (I wont say any names or fruits) these days and force-feed your users with useless programs no one actually needs. I'd *really* like to know the reason behind why this was introduced in a TORRENT APPLICATION. No, I don't like them. No, I don't need them. And no, I most certainly don't want them. Especially when you try to force-feed me them and when I already use a program designed for one thing; torrenting and nothing else.

5) Anti-virus. It's funny, you want users to get or install an AV. That's cool, I guess. If it actually worked. Now you introduce an icon that tells its users to get an AV while we already have one. I guess the one I have isn't good enough? You want me to get some of your partners AV to make some money off of us? Where is uTorrent heading?

Anyway, I noted 3.0 looks the same as 2.2 and behaves in a similar matter. Hopefully you will keep the 2.0 branch alive for a while so we don't have to bloat our torrent clients with useless stuff completely unrelated to torrenting. uTP was a great addition since it actually helped torrenting, but what you're introducing here - whoa...

I recognize I'm just another user amongst millions (I suppose), but I hope you can take some of this criticism/ranting into consideration and think from a users point of view. We do not want a bloated torrent client, we currently use uTorrent because it's just that - a simple torrent client stripped from bloat.

Haters be hatin'

3) you can. gui.find_pane

Thanks the live is so much better now ;) I also change gui.category_list_spaces to false and its looks much much better then before as default. But still there is a lot of work to make it as good and well-arranged as the old category menu was.

Even though Averill's message described almost all complaints I have, so I'll try to present them in a different way.

We do need to remember this is a beta release, which is supposedly here to help developers track down issues in new features they have implemented. I do not expect a bug-free version nor a clean and tidy user interface for such a build, but rather new experimental features.

I personally believe -maybe I'm wrong- that a lot of users decide to use utorrent because it's lightweight, got most of the functionality they need, and is customizable, which is basically what is similar to the "selling points" of the utorrent main webpage.

So in a bug-report way:

- UI: (P3) it's impossible to deactivate the integrated apps/search feature. Motivation: it should be possible to deactivate new features introducing memory/speed overhead.

- UI: (P1) the new icon set is not customizable (well I didn't manage to change it at least). Motivation: utorrent UI should stay customizable on new releases.

- UI: (P2) the actual default icon set is really hard to read and is very confusing. Motivation: utorrent should stay easy to use, and therefore require descriptive icons. Example: it's easy to differentiate downloaded torrents from a RSS feed with the old icon set, very difficult with the new one.

- Installation/First startup: (P1) new features are enforced by default. Motivation: when introducing new features, the installer or the main program should ask the user what he wants to activate (instead of using default new settings) when upgrading

- General: (P2) the antivirus check is automatically done, but should be customizable in an easy way. Motivation: most of users do expect a torrent program to only download but not process anything else, so they need the choice of using whatever security system they want (installed antivirus, virustotal, etc).

- General: (P1) the antivirus detection seems broken (cf earlier posts)

- UI: (P2) name of RSS feeds is not customizable nor readable. Motivation: users should be able to configure how a RSS feed should be displayed, i.e. using the label, the label+feed url (or part of the feed url), feed url, or custom name.

- Documentation: (P2) it is very unclear how safe the integrated browser / new apps API is. Motivation: a lot of hacks/exploits are to be expected with any new browser/API, (power) users need to know what the risks are, and some implementation details to decide if they want to use the feature or not.

Hope that helps,

/k

I want an option to choose whether I want to use this new app system right at the first start-up. Like an opt-in. Because this has nothing to do with downloading torrents. I am also very concerned about the security implications this has. I don't want another program with third-party API support that has internet access.

I got a couple of question, maybe someone is nice enough to answer.

1. Which browser engine does µtorrent use for this app system? IE's one?

2. (How) can I deactivate the app system entirely?

3. (How) can I remove this icon for the "Anti Virus Software" check?

4. Couldn't the sorting order and what sort-fields were active been saved and correctly transferred?

On an additional note: Nagging me with an icon, that I have no AV software installed is arrogant and a step way over the boundaries for a program that manages my torrents. Notifying this is an OS job.

Let me remind you µtorrent developers of something in return. µtorrent is one little program between very many on my computer. I have it for the sole purpose of downloading files and expect it to do nothing else. In my opinion that is what makes/made µtorrent so successful: Focus on executing one job simple and efficiently.

UI and useability-wise the 2.2 beta is a step back. But to test this out is what betas are there for ...

I for my part, don't want to use this new µtorrent.

Archived