µTorrent 2.2 "Griffin" beta 22538

Firon

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two bugs in uTorrent 2.2 beta build 22144.

1) Well, I'm 90% certain this is a bug. This morning the power went out, and uTorrent, on startup, did not continue where it had left off, it's download list was empty. Fortunately I use the .!ut extension for files in progress, so I had to do a search and re-add those manually. I did not check the log for any messages pertaining to this, so that's why I say I'm 90% sure this is a bug. As I understand it, resume.dat is written in certain intervals, and resume.dat.old is a backup in case resume.dat gets corrupted. So uTorrent should always be able to resume where it left off. I have not done any extensive testing on this, as I'm not about to voluntarily cut power to a machine with active disks.

2) 100% bug. If you use the .!ut extension, as I do, and use the Advanced/Set Download Location, 2.2 is supposed to move the data to the new location and continue where it left off. Instead it creates *two* files, one with the regular extension, and one with .!ut.

::Trym

like other person i've problem with sock5 proxy since Version 2.2 Beta (build 21882) and new feature: uTP / UDP traffic over SOCKS5 proxy server.

ut freeze when using it thru an local sock5 SSH tunneling server, created with PuTTY or MyEnTunnel.

PuTTY or MyEnTunnel use plink.exe for maintains TCP connections via distant unix openssh server. for information, openssh server don't support UDP protocol.

i trying to disable utp traffic in advanced properties >

1 allows µTorrent to attempt outgoing TCP connections

2 allows µTorrent to attempt outgoing uTP connections

4 allows µTorrent to accept incoming TCP connections

8 allows µTorrent to accept incoming uTP connections

16 tells µTorrent to use the new uTP header.

i setting bt.transp_disposition set to 5 (4+1) but UT always freezing

options like "enable/disable uTP / UDP traffic over SOCKS5 proxy" must resolve this problem

We're investigating this. We're not supposed to hang when proxying through any kind of proxy type.

@Firon:

*) The textbox for "Cancel" while downloading an App is still to small (for translators).

*) In the last 2.2 builds the text shown at RSS indicates the http address too (this was removed and is back now in 2.2 while 3.0 is ok, f.e. "open office|http:// ...")

[2010-08-13 00:05:56] <alus> Firon: "Custom Label|http://wherever.com/foo.rss" brrrkn

*) Files tab, on some torrents (singlefile + multifile) the indication "mode" shows write ... on 100% finished downloads while seeding! This should be blank on seeding torrents. As already reported here, this issue came up with the very first 2.1 builds, than 3.0 and now in 2.2 too.

1) Is that box even translatable? I'm not sure it is.

2) We'll get this fixed on the next build.

3) Probably won't be dealt with in 2.2, but only 3.0.

1) Well, I'm 90% certain this is a bug. This morning the power went out, and uTorrent, on startup, did not continue where it had left off, it's download list was empty. Fortunately I use the .!ut extension for files in progress, so I had to do a search and re-add those manually. I did not check the log for any messages pertaining to this, so that's why I say I'm 90% sure this is a bug. As I understand it, resume.dat is written in certain intervals, and resume.dat.old is a backup in case resume.dat gets corrupted. So uTorrent should always be able to resume where it left off. I have not done any extensive testing on this, as I'm not about to voluntarily cut power to a machine with active disks.

2) 100% bug. If you use the .!ut extension, as I do, and use the Advanced/Set Download Location, 2.2 is supposed to move the data to the new location and continue where it left off. Instead it creates *two* files, one with the regular extension, and one with .!ut.

It's an atomic write, but if you time it just right, it will still break spectacularly (due to OS caching and whatnot)

@Firon:

1) Yes it is. I didn't find out which already existing ID is used double there, because no new text for it was added in µTS.

EDIT: it's the standard ID "ID: CANCEL" which is used there. So the text is not the problem, the size of the textbox is.

2) OK

3) So hard to manage?

#2 will be fixed in the next build (we hope).

If you prefer the old 2.0.4 icons, the old skin is here. Simply download and double click, or drag and drop onto µTorrent's window.

For those wanting to make their own skins like this, I'll have some proper docs up later (you can do more than just change icons). It's just a zip file, though.

edit: reuploaded with skin colors. I'll fix them later to match 2.0.4's.

'btskin' is the relevant file with colors in hex.

I suppose

- Fix: relocating of single files

...was an attempt at fixing "my" bug #2 in build 22144, but it didn't take. Same behaviour in build 22187 as before. So a more detailed description of what happens:

o Append .!ut to incomplete files is *checked*.

o When using Advanced/Set Download Location, uT correctly copies the existing file(s) to the new location, *but* fails to add the .!ut extension.

o uT then proceeds to download into a *new* file with the .!ut extension, throwing a hissy fit about receiving lots of bad pieces, and bans almost everybody, since of course, the correct pieces are in the other file.

o When the file is finished, it is left as a .xxx.!ut file, since another file with the extension .xxx already exists and utorrent cannot rename it.

o if you manually delete the first .xxx file, and rename the .xxx.!ut to .xxx, you will find the .xxx file to be incomplete, missing the pieces which were downloaded before the move.

It doesn't take a genius to see that there is a single point of failure here, the code which moves the existing data simply does not check if the .!ut extension flag is set upon determining the name of the copied data-file. Should be easy to fix, good luck.

If you prefer the old 2.0.4 icons, the old skin is here. Simply download and double click, or drag and drop onto µTorrent's window.

For those wanting to make their own skins like this, I'll have some proper docs up later (you can do more than just change icons). It's just a zip file, though.

edit: reuploaded with skin colors. I'll fix them later to match 2.0.4's.

'btskin' is the relevant file with colors in hex.

Thanks a bundle. Most people come here to complain about stuff not working (and rightly so if such is the case) but overall I for one really appreciate how well our feedback is listened to. For one thing you gave the impression of not understanding why people would almost hate the new icons, but still you've made us a skin of the old ones.

This and other experiences really make me feel we as end users get our feedback noticed and used in the most direct and swift way in the cases you guys deem it right, also in less trivial cases. Such customer service is rare but well appreciated.

Not saying all is perfect (one can't expect that from a beta build).

...how well our feedback is listened to.... Not saying all is perfect ...
@Firon: what about the more important/functional stuff ? Like fixing the new upload choker's speed, and it's UI control (global max peers #) ?

Not sure this feedback was listen to. tho, it wasn't about the icons... :(

Firon, there are at least two of us (me and Nuker) who doesn't regard checking availability of files belong to "finished" torrents as a good idea. And I believe there are hundreds of users who will suffer from it silently.

Nobody like to see any errors on screen. But now we should have see these red crosses if using uT's list as download history. Maybe it is worth to give us at least an advanced option to avoid it?

Hm... On 2.0.4 I get like 15(out of 40) active torrents and full bandwidth utilization, on 2.2 I get 5 active torrents and minimal bandwidth(<10K each) utilization.

I'm using 2.2.21738 and have 1 Mbyte/s and more of both download and upload speeds (15 Mbit/s channel). So I believe there may be other reasons of bandwidth unutilization.

2.2 new tool-bar icons causing weird issues when running 2.04 after it , and then running it again after 2.04 ... Not that I care much about the icons, just about side effects ;)

Edit: 2.04 is with skin. 2.2 w/o skin. XP/SP2

I don't care what 2.0.4 does. :P If it looks fine in 2.2, then that's good enough. The skin is intended only for use on 2.2 anyway.

Firon, there are at least two of us (me and Nuker) who doesn't regard checking availability of files belong to "finished" torrents as a good idea. And I believe there are hundreds of users who will suffer from it silently.

Nobody like to see any errors on screen. But now we should have see these red crosses if using uT's list as download history. Maybe it is worth to give us at least an advanced option to avoid it?

Just remove the torrents or put the files back in place. It's seriously a sane way for µTorrent to operate. It's making sure that everything loaded into it is in a consistent state.

Eventually we'll have a method to archive torrents for real, so that then you won't have this issue, but for now, this is how it will work.

...how well our feedback is listened to.... Not saying all is perfect ...
@Firon: what about the more important/functional stuff ? Like fixing the new upload choker's speed' date=' and it's UI control (global max peers #) ?[/quote']

Not sure this feedback was listen to. tho, it wasn't about the icons... :(

Just because we haven't addressed YOUR issue doesn't mean we aren't addressing any issues. Be patient.

Archived