µTorrent Mac 1.0.2 stable (23439)

Firon

You guys forgot to code sign 1.0.2. Now, every time I launch µtorrent I get the annoying "Do you want the application utorrent.app to accept incoming connections." message from the OS X firewall.

Other than that, 1.0.2 works great, I've been running it for the past 5 hours without any problems. :D

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am running Snow Leopard 10.5.8.

I have been using µTorrent 0.93.10 without any problems.

When I try to run µTorrent 1.0.2 I get the following error:

The application µTorrent quit unexpectedly.

I also get the same error if I try to run µTorrent 1.1.

I have tried deleting the preferences file:

/Users/user/Library/Preferences/com.bittorrent.uTorrent.plist

I still get the same error message.

Going back to uTorrent 0.93.10 for now. It still works fine.

• 1 month later...
It's not just a matter of compiling. Some of the core APIs used aren't available in 10.4.x and won't ever be. Those APIs aren't easily replaced either.

That doesn't make any sense. You can use whatever API's you want. Hell, you could write utorrent for OS9 if you wanted to. Many OSX compilers let you simply check a box to compile for OSX 10.2 and earlier.

That doesn't make any sense. You can use whatever API's you want. Hell, you could write utorrent for OS9 if you wanted to. Many OSX compilers let you simply check a box to compile for OSX 10.2 and earlier.

You don't seriously expect Apple to add stuff to 10.5, and have it magically work on 10.2, do you? That's like saying that Safari 1.0 could support modern HTML5 web apps just because developers "will" it to.

The fact of the matter is, new API functionality gets added to new software all the time, and there is no reasonable expectation for it to work with software that was created before the API was added. An API isn't just a number as you seem to think it is.

Okay, i didn't word that real well. I do know how APIs work, although i haven't done any programming yet in 10.5. My point really was that utorrent doesn't *require* anything not present in 10.4 (or perhaps even earlier). Thus, you could easily make it work in 10.4. The more compatible a piece of software is, the better.

It is true that companies like Adobe and others constantly push the OS envelope, forcing people to always have the very latest upgrade, but they have a vested interest in profit, as does Apple. Open source type software ought to be doing the opposite. :/

My point really was that utorrent doesn't *require* anything not present in 10.4 (or perhaps even earlier). Thus, you could easily make it work in 10.4.

So you're saying that you've looked at µTorrent's source code and found no instances of 10.5+ API calls that weren't present in 10.4? Or that all 10.5+ API calls that µTorrent makes are easily rewritten for 10.4-? Are you so certain that everything it's doing with the new APIs was always exposed to developers (no matter how roundabout a method was needed for older versions of OS X)?

I just installed this on my Hackintosh 10.6.5 and it starts the download and then just stops. I tried 3 different torrents and the same each time.

I read in the release notes that it doesn't support external drives. I chose not to use my external drive, but I did choose my internal data drive.

or does it mean it won't work on any drive other than the master boot drive?

Thanks

-=Mark=-

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I'm using a PowerMac (pre-Intel) for all my torrent downloads and Snow Leopard 10.5.8 happens to be the final version of the Mac OS that will run on that Mac.

I'm still using µTorrent 0.93.10 because every time I try to upgrade to the newest version of µTorrent, it fails and I get the error: "The application µTorrent quit unexpectedly."

Please let me know so that I can plan for the future. Is 0.93.10 going to be the final version of µTorrent that will ever support Snow Leopard 10.5.8 or do you plan to eventually support this version of the OS again?

Thank you!

Flewis

• 4 weeks later...

As expected utorrent 1.0.2 has some issues in OSX 10.7 Lion.

One weird bug is the download speeds get stuck at a particular speed (10 kb/s in some torrents)

I have to restart the app in order to resume downloading that torrent at full speed.

Weirdly, this speed issue affects only some torrents.

I hope the developers investigate this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

If that is true (µTorrent Mac only supports OSX 10.5 and up) then shouldn't it work with 10.5.8?

I'm using Snow Leopard 10.5.8 and µTorrent 0.93 seems to be the final version that will work with 10.5.8. Every time I try to upgrade to the newest version of µTorrent, it fails and I get the error: "The application µTorrent quit unexpectedly." µTorrent 0.93.10 seems to work fine.

Is it because I am on a PowerMac (pre-Intel)?

Thank you.

Flewis

• 4 weeks later...

Archived