How did you get introduced to utorrent?

Pikul_Man

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on a trial-run here and the run is reaching a week. How I found it?

Short story: From BitComet's own forum.

Long story? Well ...

A long, long time ago... in a galaxy far, far away... no wait, wrong intro...

Erm, I was checking through some old bookmarks and wanted to see what BitComet was up to, since I have used it a long time ago (I think I used... 0.56? Or maybe 0.57). Saw 0.60 came out recently. Downloaded it. Didn't install it yet. I've heard about BitComet being banned at a few trackers. So I went to check up on the trackers and sites I visit frequently. I didn't get much info. Then I went over to the BitComet forums and saw a thread inquiring whether BC sends false/malformed data to the trackers. Got to the last page when at the very end is a link to here... *DING* "Well then, let's take a look..." I said. "It looks like Azureus in some respect... small download? Okay..." Download. Sit. Run. And here I am...

I started using in... 1.1.3. So I'm very new. However, it didn't take me long to get accustomed to the UI. Lightweight (+1 bonus), good UI (+1 bonus), not written in Python (+1 code bonus), and enough features for the power users to make the most of it (+10 bonus). I gotta admit. I was a bit hesitant in using it. But hey, that's why we have utilities and drive images to help us. :)

Oh... "One more thing!" Hellllllloooooooooooooooooooooo, uT fanatics! I'm not fully converted... yet... but I have introduced it to an IRC friend and he also likes what he sees... so far. I might convert. It depends whether the torrent sites I frequent likes it or not.

Heard about it on my favourite tracker's forum site.

1.1.4 seems to have some problems. It doesn't correctly report seeds/peers, across the board. For instance, I have a file seeing 25 seeds according to the general info tab, but on the seeds column on the file at top of screen, it says only 7 seeds. If the programme can't agree with itself...

If the stat reporting has been fixed, then I'm all go. have to run peerguardian as a separate programme (so you're really not as small a footprint as advertised) but it's a system-saver, non-resource hog. (Az used 100M of RAM and 2% CPU on my system.)

stevenofnine: the columns show the internal list of seedspeers (the addresses the client recieved from the tracker according to the limit of peers per torrent you set). The general tab shows the overall scrape, ALL the possible seeds and peers on that torrent according to the tracker.

Stats reporting issue ? I didn't know uTorrent had one.

I came across µTorrent while I was searching for a few small tools to add to a current project of mine (recovery cd using Bart PE).

When I saw a BT client with only 90k size I thought "Well, you never can fit a complete, feature-rich BT client in that size. Let's download it to prove them wrong"...

Guess yourself who was proven wrong^^

Yeah, there is no statistics reporting issue. If µTorrent was banned from OiNK's and then unbanned, that definitely means that it's doing everything right.

Anyway, back on topic... I don't remember exactly where I first found out about µTorrent. I remember that when I did, I saw it in multiple places, which made me curious. Boy am I glad that I followed my curiosity =]

Archived