How did you get introduced to utorrent?

Pikul_Man

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first caught wind of it on digg.com

but then saw it on [removed tracker indexing site link (links to illegal content)] as a recomended client a few times, and finally took the plunge today

been a very long time Azureus fan. The only other client i've ever used was the default BT client, and the crappy Shareaza that kept stealing the torrent associations.

I've been a regular at slyck.com for a couple years. Once it got some good reviews on the forums over there, I tried it out.

Fucking awesome bt client. The small footprint is nuts. I used Azureus and even though it ran fine on my system, I prefer the 4mb 'print to 30-50. I like how its simple, has a lot of features, isn't ugly, allows the user to customize the gui. It has DHT support now which is great too.

I heard about it after a clean install on my machine. I've been bittorrenting for a long time now, starting with some bootleg sites and bt.etree.org (lossless audio like shn and flac , all LEGAL content). Used to use mainline (that's all there was at the time really). then switched to ABC. Anyway, I re-installed ABC and found that the new version was consuming 97% of my CPU! The old version didn't do that, so I don't know what was going on. Uninstalled it and went on the hunt for a better app. Everything pointed me here or to XBT, which I haven't tried. I dont' think I'll ever get to XBT, I can't imagine it begin better than this.

Castle u made the right choice in Utorrent. Whoever gave u the idea of XBT shd be sent to the mental assylum. (spelling mistake on purpose)

I am a member at private tracker and one of the admins talked abt this client the moment version 1.1 came out. Tried it, had doubts at first...but am fully convinced now.

good to know

the sourceforge page on XBT says the following

"XBT is high-performance low-overhead BitTorrent software. "

It did not look very user friendly though. utorrent looked a lot more like ABC, so I decided on it. Easy to use, to me it seems very intuitive (but I'm not a torrent noob so that may not be true for everyone, I can't tell anymore), and looks good (and looks can be important when you download a lot). The only thing I had to get used to was that the torrent details ended up in tabs at the bottom of the screen that are always present, instead of just showing up as an additional window only when you wanted to see them.

I first noticed it on a comparison article on Wikipedia, when I was looking for a better client than the Official client. I wanted something with DHT, though, so I ended up getting BitComet. But I definately took a close look at µTorrent, and was amazed at the tiny filesize. I looked around in this forum and saw where DHT was being added later, so I bookmarked the forum in a list of sites I check for updates. When 1.2 came out, it had me hook, line, and sinker! :-D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients

-Ares

• 3 weeks later...

Archived