uTP and Long Distances

Numien

While I like the idea of uTP, and think it has a lot of promise, there's an inherent problem with fixed 100 ms latency targets -- namely that a trip from, say, Europe to Australia, even at the speed of light in optical fibre, takes about 133 ms. And that's even without modem and switching delays.

However, just increasing the delay isn't a solution, because then it gets excessive for nearby connections and ends up defeating the whole purpose.

I don't have a good answer for this problem. The best I can think of is to weight the target latency with the lowest latency packet seen on a connection, or maybe use GeoIP data to estimate distance, or something.

Hopefully you geniuses behind this whole thing can come up with a good answer. But it does need one; at the moment, long-distance uTP is really, really slow.

(Forgive me if this is a duplicate post, I do hate forums...)

Hmm... it is? That's odd.

I noticed I always got near-0 speeds to people on the other side of the world, until I turned the delay up to 200 ms. Then it was normal. Wonder why...

Edit:

You know, it might be just that my connection was lagged by something else, and it happened to get a packet here and there through with low latency. Just enough to screw up the calculation. I have no idea if that's the case, but it is one logical way that could happen.

Archived