Three Window Music Player Idea @ludde & vurlix

IQ70

Dear ludde

I have been frustrated, like many others, in finding a very simple and effective music player.

I would not name any player so as to refrain from starting a mudslinging competition but would request a very simple music player+library to be coded by the people who made the best torrent software ever.

Few things it could do, and do real well:

1. Play few formats: mp3, ogg, flac (no midi, wma, aac or anything drm'ed)

2. Display albumart: folder.jpg

3. Use a simple explorer like interface to browse files: (wouldnt mind a musikcube/wxmusik like library interface too)

4. RSS support for podcasts.

5. Presets for hip-hop, rock, classical, heavy metal, jazz.

6. Crossfade.

7. Volume and Seek bars. (added as an afterthought to tease Firon :-) )

I am not asking for something immediately. Take your time, think if it sounds like you might be interested in.

~ IQ70

foobar2000 with columns ui, just keep the components to a minimum! XD

AAC isn't DRMed fyi, it's as open as mp3 :o

not exactly that simple though, I know. :P

but I <3 fb2k and will use it forevarrrrr

OK, I refrained from posting player names for the exact same reason.

foobar isnt the best that there can be, it doesnt even have a volume control.

And it uses 8K memory just playing one mp3.

I have complaints about every player, so dont mind me. :P

The thing is, if fb was made 10% simpler than it is, in doing what it can do; people would have abandoned winamp, qmp, wmp, itunes, etc. Software needs to be idiot-proof and need no tweaking for 90% people to use. (The other 10% ofcourse love what radiator hose improves horsepower by 0.5%)

Azureus was supposed to be the best till about last year.

Bitcomet was supposed to be the fastest till about last year.

Shadows' was supposed to be the elitest till about last year.

This year changed everything.

I know, foobar2000's just not oriented towards the average idiot (no offense to you), it's really more for power users I guess. I love it because I can do so much with it, and everything I wanna do, it does -perfectly.- But it's not simple (unless all you need is playback of files, in which case it's the simplest of all)

EXACTLY. foobar2000 does this with minimal resources too, while being unbelievably configurable. If you stare at your media player, it's a little... odd... and if you like to control what you play next, you don't need a playlist (this wasn't directed at you, IQ70 ;P).

// check if all standard tags are present
$if($meta_test(title,artist,album),
// formatting for files with tags:

// check if track belongs to VA album
$if($or($stricmp(%album artist%,VA),$stricmp($left(%album artist%,7),various)),$puts(va,1),)

// 'album' formatting
$puts(album,%album%
)
$puts(tracknum,$ifgreater(%tracknumber%,0,%tracknumber% - ,))

//if 'album artist' tag is present
$if(%album artist%,
// set 'artist' to VA for VA albums, and to 'album artist' otherwise:
$if($get(va),$puts(artist,VA),$puts(artist,%album artist%))
//if 'artist' is different from 'album artist', append the former to the title
$if($strcmp(%album artist%,%artist%),$puts(title,%title%),
$puts(title,%artist% - %title%)),
//no 'album artist' found
$puts(artist,%artist%)$puts(title,%title%)
)

// formatting for files without all the tags:
$if(%title%,
$puts(title,%title%)$if(%artist%,$puts(artist,%artist%))$if(%album%,$puts(album,%album%)),
$puts(title,$if($stricmp($left(%_path_raw%,7),'http://'),%_path_raw%,$replace(%_filename_ext%,_, ))))
)

$num(%_playlist_number%,$len(%_playlist_total%)).' '
[$get(album) - ]
[$get(artist) - ]
[$get(tracknum)]
[$get(title)]
[$char(9)$if(%_isplaying%,'|> ')%_length%]

[%album% - ][%artist% - ]$if2(%title%,$replace(%_filename%,_, )) '['[%_length%/][%__bitrate%Kbps/][%__mod_channels%ch/]$replace($div(%__samplerate%,1000)KHz,0KHz,44KHz)/$replace($ifgreater(%__channels%,2,%__channels%ch ,),6,5.1)$codec()']'

Totally.

I didn't come asking for suggestions for fb2k configs or for a discussion of what is available out there at the moment for the geeks. Most might have a favorite music player just like you had a favorite torrent software and swore by it before uT.

I am sure last year a post of making a simpler and effective torrent software would have gotten responses like "BitComet. Plain and friggin simple."

The question is different. Is a uT-like music player a feasible idea. If yes, why? If not, why not?

Just cause there exist many other softwares which do some things better than others doesn't mean that there is no room for improvement.

Look at the excitement of songbird player. The hype and the product are no way comparable.

It is being touted as the itunes of the new generation, one without bloat and restrictions.

One that can take media management of itunes and the open-source of mozilla and combine into a dream-come-true player.

uT will soon reach a stage of refinement soon for its programmers to want to spread out to other ideas.

uP might not be a bad idea, is all I wanted to say. There is a need for a easier, simpler solution.

I'm sure whoever starts to code another audio player (again), pretty soon assholes will begin asking "I want it to play video too". :rolleyes: Which is exactly the problem with most software packages today. Morons want one piece of software to do everything for them. No wonder things are bloated, slow as hell, and buggy. KISS, damn it! :/

WinAmp Lite would be awesome, if I could find a better skin for it. The small/default one is just too tiny and "busy" for my tastes.

In a music player, all I'd request, is last.fm support (submit tracks to a last.fm account via post.audioscrobbler.com :P), and MAYBE some sort of musicbrainz.org support, to tag tracks before listening.

Podcast support (with some sort of BT/µtorrent ♥ interface) would be a plus too.

P.S. someone tell me what key combo I used to create that heart....I did it on accident trying to type µ (ALT+320....lol) and missed a letter. or something, and created it haha. It fits the context, so I left it inplace.

Archived