Supporting virtual directories

zebulon

Sometimes, I want to help seeding a torrent containing several files, but if they're scattered on different drives / partitions, I usually renounce because it can be a pain in the ass making room and gathering them. So basically, I'd like to say to µTorrent : (checkbox "virtual directory"), create a virtual directory named "My.Collection.Of.Files" and point the client to every drive / partition necessary.

zebulon isn't proposing anything so grand, just that when you point it to 'virtual directory 1' it knows to look in actual directory 1, 2, and 3 for matching files

however as files often get renamed, being able to set location of each file individually would be more flexible

however this has already been proposed ;)

Implementing a sort of virtual folders using shortcuts would probably reduce the implementation complexity, still might be tricky though. It would actually work pretty well since all it has to do is have the shortcut named as the file, then all uTorrent has to do is recognize it is a shortcut and lookup the referenced file and update the torrent's file targets.

@Buzzard I could ask the same thing about NTFS on home computers. Unless you have a ton of files open for writing, having a journalized FS for the sake of having a journalized FS doesn't really offer any real advantage. Most programs just "bite the bullet" if you can even call it that and backup volatile data. Chkdisk files are usually pretty close to anything that might be lost. For most other lost files there is Restoration. Yeah, I know NTFS is a little safer, but considering how many crashes I've had, I've lost very little.

Archived