Jump to content

µTorrent kills all internet activity


Recommended Posts

This has been going on for a couple of months now.

If I have µTorrent open (doesn't even have to be downloading anything) I am unable to access the internet with anything else (Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera even iTunes). Basically anything that connects to the internet can't if µTorrent is open.

Close it and all the problems go away.

I have tried using the stable, beta and alpha builds of µTorrent but they are all the same.

I've tried playing with the settings in µTorrent (specifically the number of connections section) but nothing seems to make any difference.

It's not 100% that every time I open µTorrent everything else stops working but it's damn close.

I don't know what information people would need to try and help me solve this problem.

I'm currently running Windows 7 and µTorrent 3.0 Alpha (build 20533)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need to find out what is causing your inablilty to access the Internet while uT is running.

We should be able to figure that out.

When you say you can't get to the Internet what exact symptoms do you see?

Does your browser hang at "looking up somewebsite.com" or "waiting for somewebsite.com", or is there another message (or no message) displayed in the status bar?

We need to find out if you can't route or just can't use DNS to look up names. I've seen several cases like this and so far they have all turned out to be DNS. Here's how to tell:

When you are having the problem open up a command window and enter this command:

nslookup www.washingtonpost.com

A good result looks like this:

Server: google-public-dns-b.google.com


Non-authoritative answer:

Name: www.washingtonpost.com.akadns.net


Aliases: www.washingtonpost.com

If that command times out or returns an error, you have DNS issues.

In the past I have been able to solve issues like yours by using public DNS servers like Google's, at and

I have never been able to find the root cause of this because it lies outside my network. All I have been able to determine is that when uT was running, DNS queries to my ISP's nameservers would time out or fail and I would get symptoms just like yours. When I used the Google servers the problem went away. I think the ISP's are doing it intentionally to retaliate against BT usage.

If the DNS returns a good result, we'll need to go into more depth, but try changing DNS servers anyway. Google's servers are far better than any ISP's..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a similar issue before on my Win 7 x64. I dont quite remember what i did but it could be an addon problem....flash comes to mind. I'd also update your drivers/firmware manually. I also downloaded a tcpip optimizer cmd file but i dont remember using it. Oh and if there isn't a 7 driver, download the vista version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...