utorrent download speed goes up and down

robertin75

If there's only a tiny number of real seeds on a torrent, it can become bursty feast-or-famine.

A seed uploads a piece to a fast peer and very quickly that fast peer uploads it to LOTS of other peers. End result, while you're downloading from the fast peer you get higher download speeds. But once you get that piece you may be "stuck" at the same percentage done as that peer and download speeds drop way off.

I've the SAME problem!!

I've tried to reset my router, changed the cable, even replacing it with brand new & still at the same problem

I've tried so many computer running windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 with both wireless & Ethernet connection. Also I've port forwarded the port am using, disables the firewall, the antivirus, also the firewall of the router but still with the same FRUSTURATED result.

Will someone figure out what is the problem???

Get a screenshot showing as much as you can of the problem.

Is the speed ups and downs very quick rises and drops or "ocean waves"?

Are you getting individual connection errors and/or tracker problems in uTorrent?

Especially at the moment of major speed drops...are you losing connection to seeds and peers?

We still don't know if the problem's due to bad networking. :(

• 5 months later...

In order to avoid opening a new thread, I have exactly the same "ocean wave" problems, since about a month ago. The problem is there regardless of the number of seeders, leechers, number of active torrents etc. and I have tried literally every single possible solution provided in the previous threads on this issue. My current settings are as follows:

Router model - AirLive WT-2000ARM

Port used for uTorrent - 55555 (tested, open and working properly, icon in the bottom right corner green, all sorts of port mapping disabled)

Exceptions added to both firewall (Windows) and antivirus (NOD32)

My theoretical connection speed (ADSL) is 6144/768 kbps, but in reality, I reach 500 KB/s for download and 75 KB/s in speed tests

No download cap, upload capped to 60 KB/s (apply overhead to transport overhead/uTP connections both on)

Global maximum number of connections - 200

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent - 60

Number of upload slots per torrent - 3 (use additional if <90% disabled)

DHT off, Local Peer Discovery on

So I'm currently keeping only a single torrent (download) active, with 5/5 seeders connected and no other leechers, and this is what I'm getting:

oceanwaves.png

Archived