Password option when restoring window

• 4 weeks later...

An optional password should protect utorrent when it's been restored from the tray. This would allow to anonymously DL anything in the background and some "sniffing" family members would not know what's going on. This nice feature is already avail in Azareus.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

He wouldn't have done that if there was a satisfactory reply to any of those threads actually "explaining" why this feature is unacceptable. Simply saying its useless doesn't make a bit of sence.

What may be useless for a lot maybe really useful for another lot.

I want to know why the developers have pushed this request down the drain? When you are making a torrent client for the users, you should also take their views and opinions in consideration, or don't release it and use it yourself.

I really dont mean to be harsh, but i am really eager to know why this feature will not be implemented *ever*. Azureus doesn't think its useless, then why should you?

I was asking you, since you don't seem to get it. µTorrent is not striving to be BitComet or Azureus, it's striving to be µTorrent, an efficient and small client. Whatever features get added get added because the developer thinks it's a good idea to add. Doesn't matter what other clients have or what other clients think about X feature.

Just because a feature is available in one client doesn't mean µTorrent has to implement that feature as well.

Similarly, µTorrent doesn't have to disregard a feature completely, without appropriate reasoning, just because a bunch of people find no use for it.

Keloran's old sig answered this question nicely :) "Want a password feature, stop downloading stuff that would need it!"

Similarly, µTorrent doesn't have to disregard a feature completely, without appropriate reasoning, just because a bunch of people find no use for it.

If by "a bunch of people" you mean ludde, the developer of the client, he is perfectly welcome to disregard such a feature completely without appropriate reasoning. It's up to him what he does with the client. He can refuse to implement anything and turn the torrent into a useless piece of crap, but then nobody would use it. :) µTorrent's current popularity I think is indicative of his decision-making ability so far...

@Zeest: Does adding a password protection improve the torrent download "experience" in any way? Honestly, if you are afraid of someone seeing what you're downloading, then don't download it, or don't share the computer account. This "feature" is WAY out of scope for a torrent client.

The point you made about GUI being unneeded is moot in this context. It makes managing/viewing the torrents much easier, and isn't extraneous, so there's no reason it shouldn't be added.

(By the way, these points were raised in the previously mentioned threads, and they're pretty damned good reasons. So that thing you said about us simply saying it was useless doesn't seem to make any sense either O.o)

Firstly my computer isn't shared by anybody, besides I stay alone so it doesnt matter. But I yet wish to have a password protection, because according to me its very useful. I like my privacy, and I'm a little too crazy about it.

As for improving the torrent downloading experienece, no it doesnt help my download/upload speeds or anything of that sort. But then does having a gui, a graph, queued downlkoading etc improve the downloading speed?

Yes, I already pointed out that a GUI makes it easier to manage the torrents. Queued torrents also fits that category -- it automates torrent downloading so you don't have to worry about which ones start in which order and when. As for the line graph, it shows you the history of your download/upload speeds, and not just a current snapshot. It's useful for knowing whether you've always been transferring at a certain speed, or where your speeds have been hovering around, etc. Essentially, a statistical feature.

When I asked whether it improved the downloading experience, I wasn't talking purely about speed. I'm unsure of how you equated experience to speed O.o

I can't say that there aren't any unneeded features existent in µTorrent right now, but those features were added on ludde's discretion. Also, they at least have to do with torrent transferring. Adding this feature is akin to adding the alarm clock feature to play MP3's that someone requested just recently. Very extraneous, pointless, and random.

Archived