html5 Drag and drop to Add torrent from URL - WebUI

splinter98

I have always loved the interface of the webUI, it has a decent design that mimics the interface of the actual utorrent program, however there was always one thing that annoyed me with using the interface and it is as follows:

To Add a torrent via a URL:

[ol]

[li]Find the wanted torrent URL[/li]

[li]Open up WebUI[/li]

[li]Click add torrent via URL[/li]

[li]either copy and paste the torrent URL or drag and drop the url link into the tiny text box[/li]

[li]click ok to upload and start torrent[/li]

[/ol]

This is fine but contains a lot of unnecessary steps if you (like me) drag and drop the torrent links into the add URL dialogue box.

Wouldn't it be great if you could just drag and drop a url link onto the webUI and it automatically uploads the torrent?

This would be a similar functionality to how now on gmail you can drag and drop a file from your desktop onto your email message you're writing and it uploads the file. It's quick more efficient and intuitive!

Well, I've been wanting a feature like that and I kept putting it off coding it (I'm not a fan of making requests as more often than not it gets put to the back bench and ignored) but finally I decided that I would look into it and have a play around - and I managed to get it to work! - See Demo below

webui.gif

Now I'll be the first to admit that the URL dropbox isn't that pretty, however that can easily customised and suggestions on look are very much welcome (I am also contemplating moving the drop box to where the files are listed as that seems more sensible)

I do plan to also add drag torrent from desktop at some point in the near future also and for it to auto detect which to send it to as again being able to drag and drop a file onto the webUI would be an amazing improvement.

This feature should be compatible on Firefox 3.5+, Chrome 3.0+, Safari 3.0+ and Internet Explorer 5.0+

Comments are very much welcome and you can try out the webUI from the link below.

(To install replace the webui.zip with the one here)

Download

Archived