Hanging pieces

1eyedjack

I have noticed a regular tendency for all but one or two blocks an a particular piece to fill up quite quickly, but then the final completion of the piece (last block or two) is put on hold for a long time while it downloads other pieces. Is this normal behaviour, and is there something in my config settings that is likely to be contributing? (version 2.0.2 build 19648 although I have noticed this tendency in earlier versions).

If you have a slow peer or seed connected the pieces they have promised to you (reqs) will be set aside as being offered and no other peers will upload those to you, so if that person takes a long time it may well keep that whole block from finishing for a good period of time. and if they disconnect before giving it to you and utorrent doesn't feel the need to ask for that exact piece yet then it will wait in the queue for someone else to promise it, (utorrent asks for the rarer pieces first) Only if it is the very last piece in the whole torrent will multiple peers try to upload it to you, This is when it turns light green, this will only happen in the last few seconds of a torrents download however.

Archived