torrents downloading well early in week but not now

mjongstra

Hey all, i've been using torrents for a while now and never really come across this problem. I've been downloading a few torrents lately and the first two finished relatively fast downloading averaging about 150 kb/s the last torrent i'm downloading has never gone above 40 yet it is the one with the most seeds and peers out of all 3 of them. There are 14078 seeds available and 10016 peers available, is this just a minor problem or any advice to fix this? It's been doing this for the past few days so it's not an issue of just happening today

More seeds does not necessarily mean a faster download. It all depends on who you've connected to. If you have too many connections for your internet connection it will drasticially slow down your max speed and if the majority of those connected peers are already overloaded on their end it won't show any positive results anyways. In the peer tab you can see how fast the peers you are connected to are downloading, if they are also fairly slow then there isn't much you can do. However if they're downloading 200+ then you're connections are probably to blame. make sure you follow the proper speed guides and configure your client according to upload rate.

Well i've gone through the guide and nothing seemed to have changed. I used the setup guide to determine my upload/download speeds and it is not a NAT issue since I have a green light in the bottom of my utorrent screen I don't understand at all I haven't changed any of the settings, so maybe it's just a problem on my ISPs end?

btw i'm doing on of the test downloads on that page you listed and it's not going any faster than 30 kb/s

Try this, (its from switeck's sig third link) http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58714

and run this test http://broadband.mpi-sws.mpg.de/transparency/bttest.php when nothing else is going it should report whether or not your isp is interfering with bittorrent traffic. (also be aware that it may only be during certain times of the day)

I realized that the other two torrents I was downloading during the daytime while off work, and this one I have only turned on after work during evening and night time which I would assume are peak internet hours so could this be the problem? Assuming my internet is throttled at night but not during the day

its possible, did you run the second link in my last post?, Its not a guaranteed answer but it might show isp intervention. When you run it do it while the internet is fast (during the day) and a second time when the internet is slow. Also what ISP are you with? Some are known to be definitely throttling and maybe someone will recognize it as such.

Archived