uTorrent and TorrentPrivacy.

eurowiz1973

Was considering trying out TorrentPrivacy (check out www.torrentprivacy.com for details).

Here's what TP advertises:

* No configuration needed. Installation and usage at one click only!

* Privately configured torrent client is already included into the pack.

* Secure access to trackers through our web-proxy tracker access.

* Encrypted secure connection for BT downloads through SSH protocol.

* Privacy guaranteed while downloading torrents with TorrentPrivacy.

* Automatic connection restore if it's broken.

* Speed up to 100 Mb/s : No bandwidth capping

Supposedly, the torrent client shuts down whenever the secure, private, encrypted, proxy connection is broken, and automatically resumes when the connection is restored. Also, speeds have been reported at nearly identical to those of uTorrent not using a proxy connection.

The only potential problem is that the pre-configured torrent client referred to above is uTorrent 1.8.5. I currently use uTorrent 2.0.3. Does anyone know if it is possible to have two versions of uTorrent installed on one system?

I don't want to commit to TorrentPrivacy before testing it for at least a few months, and would like to continue using uTorrent 2.0.3 while testing. For the time being, I would like to have both versions installed, using TorrentPrivacy (uTorrent 1.8.5) for secure torrent activities and my existing uTorrent 2.0.3 for torrents where privacy is not essential. Is this possible, or will one installation interfere with the other (settings, etc.)?

Thanks.

P.S. I tried emailing TP support. Here is the reply...

Well our torrent ptivacy utorrent is 1.8.5 yet, but msy find a dl-chhosre

that provides an ability to use any client from your pc. (tonly uor will be

protected anyway)

--

Best regards,

TorrentPrivacy Support

...I'd be greatly obliged if someone could help me decipher this.

I guess I'll give them a pass since they're not from the U.S... but, getting back to the original question, are there any foreseeable problems stemming from having two versions of uTorrent, both my existing 2.0.3 and TorrentPrivacy's custom configured 1.8.5, running on the same system? They, of course, would not be running simultaneously, but could simply having them both installed on the same computer cause problems?

Would setting up completely unique directories in the Directories tab of Preferences ensure that each version is "running off different settings/torrents"? Would making sure that no one torrent is ever downloaded to or uploaded from both versions prevent conflicts?

Also, not quite sure what you mean by portable install... do you mean running uTorrent from a flash drive using a portable version of uTorrent like uTorrent Portable 2.0.2 from PortableApps.com?

Sorry for being a bit dense.

The only mention I found of anything like a portable install in any of the links in your signature, or the Documentation and FAQ sections of Support were the following entries from the Installation section of the FAQs:

3. How can I use µTorrent on a USB key or other removable drive?

Simply copy settings.dat (located in %AppData%\uTorrent ) to the same folder as utorrent.exe, and you're done.

4. How can I make µTorrent run self-contained in one directory?

Simply copy the entire contents of %AppData%\uTorrent into the same folder as utorrent.exe. Alternatively, create a blank file named settings.dat in the same folder as utorrent.exe, if you'd like to start out fresh (no settings/torrents).

Is this what you were referring to?

Also, could you please comment on the first part of my previous post regarding whether setting up completely unique directories in the Directories tab of Preferences would ensure that each version is "running off different settings/torrents"? Would making sure that no one torrent is ever downloaded to or uploaded from both versions prevent conflicts?

Thanks.

Yes, that was what I was referring to.

EACH uTorrent program installed needs its own copy of settings and .torrent files or they can stomp all over each other if you ever run more than 1 at a time.

The Directories tab of Preferences has no effect on where uTorrent stores its settings. At most, it can only change where uTorrent finds .torrent files.

Archived