PeerFactor+utorrent?

Knight

He's not changing ANYTHING in the client, he's not bundling anything, he never will bundle anything, and nothing will change. I still don't see the big deal. And like I said, it is entirely possible that PeerFactor won't be doing poisoning, but will be doing a legal download service. Judging from the contract and what they say, it doesn't seem to be related to P2P poisoning or anything, just a way for webmasters to distribute large files more easily.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the peerfactor deal yesterday morning before slyck's article and i was just thinking "Fine good deal for utorrent!" since P2P is actually focusing legal attention in France.

We must think beyond ...

Slyck Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:53 pm

Christ you people are ridiculous. Everytime something like this happens I really lose some respect for this forum, as everyone jumps to the worst possible conclusion every time, exaggerating all the way.

As far as I am conscerned this doesn't affect my usage of µTorrent, nor my opinion of Ludde. He has given us this great client for free, so I won't fault him for making a bit of extra cash by selling the implementation to someone. They would have gotten one anyway, from someone else if not ludde.

And imo all the people talking about "moral character" are hypocrites. Rolling Eyes

i agree and i totally support µ ;-)

Btw Slyck flamebait title "uTorrent Sign Six Month RetSpan Agreement" is not fair at all ...

I trust Ludde that uTorrent will remain as it is now, a great client, and this is just a sidedeal to make some money. He does a lot of work on this program so good for him that he's made some money off of what he's giving us for free. uTorrent won't be any worse off and this company he's dealing with has never been able to impact any file that I've wanted so I don't care about Retspan.

good to know things will be as normal.. i was like WTF? when i first saw the news on some blog, and it's on torrentz.com news too.. but its clear to see after actually looking at it with any degree of presence of mind, that it is completely unrelated to utorrent. Ludde has to make some money somehow after all..

Yes indeed, and that's exactly what I told him. Honestly, he has absolutely no right to be talking about someone's morality when he himself is immoral in one way or another. Big hypocrite, and I think I'm just about through arguing with him on that forum.

no offense to utorrent makers but i uninstalled the program once i read the slyck website. The responses are the same i heard for lokitorrent before they released the ip's of several bt users. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Best of luck to utorrent, but I just cant support a program who has an affiliation with a company with anti p2p tenacies

Just remember, for every client, there are ardent supporters who use that respective client--you all happen to be supporters of uT. There are plenty of ardent supporters of BitComet on their forum. There are plenty of supporters of Cohen's Mainline client and even plenty of supporters of Kazaa.

I don't think it's a smart idea for the developer of uT to be working with PeerFactor. It would be akin to him helping MPAA/RIAA with some authorized distribution system they were trying to implement.

Another example. We all know Firon is the guy who does all the website maintainence. What if Firon started to work for the MPAA/RIAA as a web admin? Would you all be so supportive? Admittedly, there wouldn't be anything harmful to the uT client itself, but you'd certainly have a bad impression/aftertaste of Firon because he's helping the MPAA/RIAA cause.

It's in the same light that by working with Peerfactor, the developer of uT is helping and supporting Peerfactor, even if it directly may not impact uT.

If many of you blind supporters can't understand point of view, then it's you who are blinded by zealous idolatry of uT or its developer.

@juniorx: LokiTorrent had to release the IPs. Lawsuit? Yep. Anyway, best of luck to you too... there are plenty of other clients out there, so maybe you'll find something you like (almost) as much as µTorrent ;P

@AntiLeech: I see that point of view, but frankly, it's not the same situation. ludde isn't working for the company. End of story for that argument about Firon. And so what if ludde's helping someone implement an authorized distribution system? I don't see the big deal, and it would help them at least begin to embrase the P2P philosophy. And no, it's not blind zealotry and idolatry. It's just a different outlook that's a lot less filled with paranoia. What people should be afraid of is PeerFactor itself, and Smoovious brought up that point, that maybe this whole controversy was their aim in the first place. Looks like it's working. In the end, I trust that ludde won't be doing anything that those people at the Slyck forums are accusing him of doing ("playing on the other side?" Please :rolleyes:).

The sensationalist news sites will probably spread word on this... I saw it on digg.com already. Doesn't look like the commenters really cared much. I'm not sure about the rest of the people though. In the end, I don't think many trackers (if any) banned the mainline client, so I doubt something that extreme would happen...

utorrent is in danger of going the way of Exeem (anyone remember?). Sloneck, of SuprNova fame, was accused by some of selling out when he closed down the SuprNova Torrent site. This was closely related to PeerFactor/RetSpan: http://www.addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=3859

RetSpan has decided to move forward with its complaint against SuprNova.org. RetSpan is an anti-piracy firm based in France. It is known for its flagship software "PeerFactor." PeerFactor is used by willing members of the P2P community that wish to trick their fellow peers for money. The program plants fake copies of popular files on various P2P networks. Unsuspecting individuals download the file thinking, for example, it is the latest Eminem album, while in reality it may only be a sample or nothing at all.

Sloneck then started a new venture with Exeem, which lost credibility when spyware was allowed in the client (briefly) and the resulting publicity led to irreparable damage to Exeem's reputation and and its eventual demise.

utorrent as a piece of software is a great BT client, and it would be sad to see it go down, but its reputation has already been damaged.

I hope Ludde could answer the many questions that have been brought up by this deal. His statements so far have been insufficient to alleviate the concerns (many questions were brought out in the thread on Slyck, and an interesting comment here by Smoovious: http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=269904#269904)

he has made another comment, check a few posts above yours on slyck peterpaulw.

I saw the recent post by Ludde and it is somewhat reassuring, but I do not think, that Ludde sufficiently answered the questions concerning his deal with PeerFactor, which have been brought out in the thread on Slyck.

The damage to utorrent's reputation has already been done. A deal with any other (neutral) company would not have caused much concern, but PeerFactor's AntiP2P background is indisputable (-- have they ever distanced themselves from their previous activities??)

I think a more in depth response is needed to re-assure users. I will - for the time being - use & recommend another client and observe how things develop.

Archived