PeerFactor+utorrent?

Knight

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'll be waiting to see what Ludde's .dll file actually does before commenting again, although I would suggest one thing to Ludde (and other people who may want to make him aware of it):

Ask PeerFactor if you can reveal some more details of the agreement.

Why would he want to do that? Why should ludde even consider giving out his private financial and business information to a bunch of idiots on the internet? That's right, he shouldn't. So no need to ask PeerFactor for anything :-P

Xu: PG2 used to have their own blocklist, but because of the takeover issue they had to take it down. It's been up in beta fashion for a month or two now, but should be public soon, hopefully sooner now that this bluetack thing happened (phrosty, one of the PG2 staff members does not agree with the block)

What complete and utter bulls**t.

I don't know why people are just removing utorrent from their Bluetack banlists. I'd remove the PG2 and/or any Bluecrap lists if I ever did use them - you don't really think it protects you do you? From reading the IRC transcript with Ludde where he was being polite do you trust a 13 year old temper-tantrum swearing kid to protect you? hahaha

I suspect this is nothing more than a move from someone who always did have their pants around their ankles when checking out a new Azureus beta.

Why are blocklists in existence? To block the RI** and the MP** etc... because those bodies try to excercise control and restrictions on music. Blueflap excercising control & restrictions on a BitTorrent client that nobody has found any real proof or any evidence of anti-P2P technologies or wrong-doings is so so hypocritical.

Put Ludde's personal home IP address on a blocklist maybe, if you think he has ulterior motives and has sold his soul to work for them. But don't put this program, its website and its support forums which as of the current beta hasn't done anything wrong.

And we all know there's plenty of people who don't really know what they are doing when installing PG and using blocklists or whatever and these are probably the same people who have problems and need support with apps like uTorrent - so how are they going to now get uTorrent support if it's blacklisted?

flacinhell: it's not PG2 that's doing the blocking, it's Bluetack. PG2 is still trying to get their own blocklists up, which I imagine will come up faster because of this. The people making PG2 do -not- want to block µTorrent

flacinhell: it's not PG2 that's doing the blocking, it's Bluetack. PG2 is still trying to get their own blocklists up, which I imagine will come up faster because of this. The people making PG2 do -not- want to block µTorrent

Yes Firon, I realised that so have updated the post.

First thing I've done is contacted Bostik and reported BlueTack for possible copyright infringement or certainly bastardising a useful products name. Come on guys, lets see ya add me to yer blocklists once you get home from school :P

Now I see on the bluewack forums they're talking about Ludde probably IP-recording anyone through the search feature or that uTorrent in other ways might be secretly communicating to those bad guys.

Now, I know that in Sweden they don't really care so much about P2P piracy which is cool of course. But Sweden being part of Europe they obviously do care about people's personal data being transmitted to places without their consent. About programs monitoring users etc...

Did you all accept the agreement that came with uTorrent that said it would be recording your info and send it off to third parties?

No? EXACTLY. Just try "installing" (if that is the word) uTorrent. You see nothing of the sort.

So if Ludde was recording anything without our consent then I'm sure Sweden would be interested in him breaking all sorts of privacy laws. We could basically sue him and possibly make him cry even more than a 12 year old girl once the R**A gets hold of her :D

People are so paranoid, and most probably have no clue what a DLL is anyway. The way I see it Ludde can sell off whatever parts of uTorrents internals or routines he wants, it's his code. As long as it's a one-way process with only stuff going out of uTorrent and to third parties, rather than stuff coming into uTorrent from third parties then it's cool. The worst thing he could do is make it open source and have much lesser programmers adding pointless routines and bloat to it. It's not like the BT protocol itself is top-secret now is it?

We've already seen Sony had no problem ripping off open source code, so I'm quite sure the bad guys could have done something with the Azureus source and not had to pay anyone a dime. But they didn't - because just imagine how god-awful slow it would be using a legit-only/pr0n-sponsored/DRM-only/whatever BitTorrent client the evil guys might have made based on the Az code :D Their pr0n banners won't be able to rotate so fast and their DRM-sniffing routines would really grind things to a halt. Much better to use the better, solid core of uTorrent for whatever crap they plan to unleash on us. We don't have to use it, it makes Ludde $, and we can continue using uTorrent.

I know how you feel Ludde and have done a lot lot worse than you and been called anti-P2P numerous times with my blog :D I can't wait for that to be put on a Bluetwit list. Keep up the good work Ludde, keep on with those betas and don't let the paranoids/ba**ards get you down ;)

Im glad im a member of phoenixlabs and not bluetack. I assure you we will do much better at maintaining the blocklists. This is retarted!

You can say that again. But then just reading the IRC transcripts on that blog shows their intellectual level. OK, so somebody smart there did write a low-level packet filter. Whopee. Probably their Dad.

And to see a good old-school "no shit style" programmer like Ludde treated like this just makes me angry, so angry in fact that I just went through the rather anal-retentive process of blocking bluetack.co.uk directly in my hosts file so I never accidently visit their website again :D

A shame really, because BlueTack's programming Dad and Ludde probably have a lot in common, or could certainly enjoy geekily talking about low-level comms.

lol no offense to anyone over at the Slyck forums, but fa really sounds a lot of them... And having Microsoft on the list? Wee we'll just block Microsoft so that people can't get Windows Update! And then EVERYONE will be safe!

Again with the source code crap too. Cute, real cute. What's interesting?

Many ask why Protowall isn't open source - Protowall has nothing to hide, but it remains closed source to prevent cloning and others stealing its code.

Well gee, talk about hypocritical, yet again.

Alright, that does it, I've always thought that bluetack were the good guys, turns out that

they're infact the n00b guys, until the phoenixlabs guys get their lists up, I'm

refusing the bluetack lists on the basis that they're completly inaccurate.

Anyhow, Ludde, I can only speculate wether or not it has any significance that

you lied about knowing about the company (maybe you were incredibly embarrassed?)

but I do know one thing, you've done so much for the BT community with this client

that we do owe you the benefit of the doubt as end lusers.

Now, I call upon everyone who thinks that bluetack is wrong in this to spread the word about

it, let everyone know exactly how INSANE these guys are!

Blocking a proven bad adress is one thing, ASSUMING that an adress is bad is just idiocy!

I wonder how many honest people I've accidentally blocked using these faulty lists...

geeze.. makes one shudder at the thought...

peterpaulw: if you paranoid freaks can't trust Ludde's word, then don't use µTorrent, thank you very much.

Yep, that pretty much sums it all up. By executing ludde's code on your PC, you're basically handing it over to him anyway. As he mentioned after the Christmas message, he could be using the program to read your email, plant ads on your PC or pretty much anything he wants.

If you don't trust ludde, don't use the software. I'm glad to see people who don't research things properly leave µTorrent. If you can't be bothered to find out exactly what happened with this agreement, then you don't deserve to use such a great piece of software :P

This IRC transcript, posted earlier, shows the idiocy behind bluetack's lists. Really quite pathetic.

But not enough as they still do not explain in the actual article that µTorrent has not been sold & is not involved in this in any way. And I doubt they would even come close to explaining that only a .dll (if they even know what that is.) containg the BitTorrent protocol was sold.

And people will ask, "then why not get that from Cohen?" And the simple answer, Cohen's is written in python. Why bother with Cohen and python when you can get a better version in C++ from the developer of a much better client.

The end of µtorrent...

This is (just about) both my 1st and last post here. µtorrent was (and still is, actually) a fantastic app. I recommended it to others and it solved problems. Ludde is a genius at programming, listens to the users, and everything seemed great. I don't know what happened. As Ludde is STILL a genius at programming I'm sure he'll overcome what seems to be a horrible turn of events today. The only thing I'm sure of is that the big boys have won this one, I'm afraid. Either way. But they cannot buy everyone and they will not get what they think they want, even if the internet has to be replaced by a secure private network.

Packet to "utorrent.com works for anti-p2p RetSpan" ( 207.142.136.45 ) blocked. [protocol: TCP - src: 1221 / dst: 80]

--Celtic Ferret :(

Archived