PeerFactor+utorrent?

Knight

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF are you guys saying? "peerfactor.com and utorrent.com are hosted on the same server", "utorrent.com works for anti-p2p RetSpan". It took me 10s to check that peerfactor.com (which is only a parked domain, btw) resolves to 66.199.187.181 and utorrent.com resolves to 207.142.136.45. And the retspan bit has just been pulled out of your rear end.

So please, less FUD, less lies and more facts.

Celtic Ferret, you don't have the fact straight, read the updates slyck story +

the comments by ludde on slyck.

ludde isn't helping, retspan, in fact, Peerfactor and retspan went seperate ways 6 months ago.

Ludde just made a .dll that uses the BT protocol for legal distrobution of data,

nothing relating to anti-p2p.

If you don't want to read the update on the slyck story, here it is:

Update: Please note there is a correction to this article. It was originally reported that PeerFactor is a subsidiary of RetSpan. The two companies parted ways six months ago.

PeerFactor deny ever being involved in anti-P2P operations, despite the reports to the contrary.

"We do not distribute any fake file over P2P, but only useful content," Frenchman Richard Rodrigues, head of PeerFactor told Slyck. "We have never distributed fakes file (unreadable) because no user would […] want to distribute [them]."

WTF are you guys saying? "peerfactor.com and utorrent.com are hosted on the same server", "utorrent.com works for anti-p2p RetSpan". It took me 10s to check that peerfactor.com (which is only a parked domain, btw) resolves to 66.199.187.181 and utorrent.com resolves to 207.142.136.45. And the retspan bit has just been pulled out of your rear end.

So please, less FUD, less lies and more facts.

www.peerfactor.fr and www.peerfactor.biz are url for the company peerfactor.

www.peerfactor.com seems to be something different, some kind of search site that looks for the word "peer". the only thing they have in common is the 'peerfactor' in the url

Hubert Roksor, think things through before making hasty conclusions.

Hi there.

I was in the Peer Exchange website, and did not understand their aim. I think they will earn money using others resources.

I saw Utorrent as a very good BT client, but from today, I really do not know... How I know if Peer Exchange if running in background? I had searched everywhere and did not found any options related with Peer Exchange. I do not allow anyone to use my resources.

Can the developer of this program guarantee fairness and user protection over abuses ("spywares")?

Thank you.

Paraver: you seem to be terribly confused. :| Peer Exchange is a way to find out about other BitTorrent users, something like DHT. Peer factor is a company, which is probably what you meant. In either case there's nothing to worry about as it doesn't affect µTorrent in any way. ;)

I really wonder if people will actually listen... they'll just be like... Oh noes! µTorrent is associated with PeerFactor was once associated with RetSpan! µTorrent is spyware!

I've tried them all, and there's no doubt about it: BitComet downloads are the fastest!

Which in my eyes, is the most important thing.

With uTorrent going spyware, and Azureus beeing such a bloat, there's no competitor around.

Just wished that this client was Open Source....

Funny, µTorrent "going spyware." Talk about getting his facts all twisted.

[offtopic]BitComet's fastest by cheating, and even then, if that guy configured µTorrent properly, he'd be getting equivalent speeds. And the open source argument, once again.[/offtopic]

I have read everyhing on slycks forums and every thread here concerning Ludde's new venture. All my questions have been answerd save one. I dont really understan why Ludde would ( I dont want to say lie) misslead every one about his knowledge of PeerFactors past.

I am happy for Ludde in making some much deserved cash, and am very happy with UT, with no intent on changng to any other client.

I would however like a reasonable explanation of this deceptive answer.

Personally' date=' I'll be waiting to see what Ludde's .dll file actually does before commenting again, although I would suggest one thing to Ludde (and other people who may want to make him aware of it):

Ask PeerFactor if you can reveal some more details of the agreement.[/quote']

Why would he want to do that? Why should ludde even consider giving out his private financial and business information to a bunch of idiots on the internet? That's right, he shouldn't. So no need to ask PeerFactor for anything :-P

Well, I only suggested he consider it if he doesn't want to look like the spawn of Satan, which is the way a lot of people are trying to spin this issue.

I would never demand anything like that of anybody, I was simply pointing out an option that may not have been considered. It all depends on whether Ludde cares about what other people think of him.

The fact that such an agreement was made with a company whose history has been tied to anti-p2p has concerned me more than enough to never touch utorrent ever again. Given that there are other clients out there that have no such ties means that I don't need to run the same level of risk as I do with utorrent and have blind faith in ludde's new deal or future deals. I guess thats the advantage open source offers. I don't see azureus for example going down this path and there are many people looking at the code so that we have a high level of confidence that nothing sneaky will happen along the way.

I understand that there may be nothing untowards to tracking and reporting users at this point in time but a closed contract would have a clause that would state that if such a tack was taken it could not be reported. I also know that companies license software and use it in many creative ways the original authors never could foretell so who knows what they have in mind to exploit (if anything). Couple this with the fact that as time goes on the relationship can grow stronger between the two then any stats or whatever collected by ludde not yet released to his partner (or future partners) under the current contract can be released under a new contract and the situation can change over night now.

There is nothing legally as users you can do to stop ludde releasing anything to anyone he gathers which has always been a risk with any client out there but given the new relationship the risk has increased significantly. More to the point he doesn't have to report all the changes he makes given the terms of the contract or future contracts. You can all go out of your way and make excuses of why no one should worry about the new agreement but given the options of other clients out there I don't believe it's worth the risk. Ludde doesn't owe anything to anyone and up till now has been doing us a favor in providing utorrent and we have been doing him a favor testing it and offering ideas but the fact it's moving in this direction should be a major concern to you all, not just in the current agreement, but what future agreements could be made. I know there will always be the die hard fans out there who will defend it till the end and I hope it works out for you all. I'm just glad I'm not hung up on any particular client though. I'll keep an interest in the forum just to see how this pans out though. It's an interesting development if nothing else. Personally I think from a financial standpoint the decision was understandable and I had a feeling it was going to have a commercial side to it but not in this particular direction. Pity, it was a reasonable client in the end..

www.peerfactor.com seems to be something different, some kind of search site that looks for the word "peer".

just another domain squatter :/

why Ludde would ( I dont want to say lie) misslead every one about his knowledge of PeerFactors past.

Well, basically he's saying that he didn't know about it. However, a lot of people don't believe this, I guess it's just like everything with µTorrent, you are trusting ludde by running his code so you'll have to deal with it really. :P

RePO: For me uTorrent is the only client that can garantee that it will never include spyware/adware/monitoring, and that's because I know Ludde's philosofy and the reason why he develops uTorrent.

Anyway, we all put ourselfs in risk everyday. When you drive your car you put your life in the hands of the car engineers. And if one of those engineers (with the passion of making beutiful and safe cars that everyone can afford to own) signed an agreement to manufacture tires to a bus company (with a history of cooperating with a anti-car association). Then you should really start to get worried and change your car!..?

Well. It's amazing to read peoples comments regarding this matter. They think this is the end of the world but in fact nothing has changed at all.

RePO: For me uTorrent is the only client that can garantee that it will never include spyware/adware/monitoring, and that's because I know Ludde's philosofy and the reason why he develops uTorrent.

Anyway, we all put ourselfs in risk everyday. When you drive your car you put your life in the hands of the car engineers. And if one of those engineers (with the passion of making beutiful and safe cars) signed an agreement to manufacture tires to a bus company (with a hisory of cooperating with a anti-car association). Then you should really start to get worried and change your car!..?

Well. It's amazing to read peoples comments regarding this matter. They think this is the end of the world but in fact nothing has changed at all.

Please don't take this personally but I am forever astonished that people think that they understand a person completely just from interaction on a forum. I think it's a rather foolish notion. Maybe you need to live a little more but I've seen people who I thought I understood completley who I have known personally in the living flesh for years do things and make decisions I thought they would never do. Your justifications of risk based on your examples are somewhat dubious. In all of you examples we are not just trusting said parties to do there job on their own but they are also checked by third parties (government organisations to ensure safetly standards are met) to protect us. If that is not enough then there are serious consequences monetary wise for breaching that trust which would drive a company bankrupt. Money and success are significant driving factors in any business to do the right thing which is why penalties exist. It's not just shear trust without consequences that ensures that things are done right.

In utorrents case there is no such deterrant or incentive for ludde to ensure that any trust we place is backed up. There are no third parties to check on him to ensure our interests. In fact if anything it's completley the opposite for us in this case. There are no penalties financially that can be inflicted and the fact that utorrent doesn't make a cent from us but can make significant $$ if it joins up commercially with parties (which may not be interested in our wellbeing) puts the general users at a significant disadvantage in the trust stakes. I'm sorry if you can't see or accept this. I may be completley off the mark in what utorrents intentions are or what it's future intentions are but for me I don't have blind faith based on a persons words in a forum as to the type of person they are. Actions are usually more important than words and taking this step has raised doubts more than I and I think quite a few people are comfortable with. The fact he entered into a business agreement and didn't do a background check on his partner to even know their history smacks of incompetance or a decision to mislead and feign ignorance after the fact. A person capable of writing the complexity of code utorrent requires usually has a bit of a clue so unfortunately I can only conclude the latter. Now tell me whether you think that trust of yours is still warranted?. I know what my answer would be and I'm re-installing azureus as we speak.

PS:

Please don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with commercial ventures arising from such development in general but when a venture is undertaken with such a company that has such a history I think I and others have a right to doubt the aim of the venture especially with the source being private. Pity it wasn't a more innocent p2p friendly company...

Edit: Well after installing Az2.4.0.0 for the first time and running it I just got 1Mbps xfer rate. alot more than ut ever did (even after tweaking forever following advice). I'm quite surprised by the difference (really, not trolling as in all the time torrenting I never got near to that speed). Dont want to make this into a speed thread (don't care anymore) but that with the recent events has clinched my decision. I didn't realize what I was sacrificing (even bc didn't get me there). Xfer cause PC to become a little slow for the record but given for the increase I'm ok using more resources to achieve those results. Farewell all!

Rep0: Why should I take it personally? I do know the rules behind capitalism. However, I think you are a little bit in hurry judging people. I said I know something and your first thought is that I don't know following 443 words trying to teach me something I already know.

I understand that there is nothing in the world that can convince you that Ludde will never add any spyware/adware/monitoring into uTorrent because you have had your bad experiences in life and will have a hard time trusting anyone. But with your point of view I'm amazed that you dared to install a closed-source application like uTorrent in the first place =)

uTorrent is the smallest and less bloated BT client for a reason. And that reason is not capitalism.

And for me, uTorrens is still the only client that can garantee that it will never include spyware/adware/monitoring. And that's not because I think that I know something. That's because I know Ludde. Maybe you should ask yourself why Ludde decided to earn money by selling licences of his software (like the PeerFactor agreement) instead of adding spyware/ads/monitoring (like most other BT clients do) to uTorrent?

Still you can point out that Ludde would add backdoors to uTorrent if someone payed him. But I'm sorry. That is not going to happen ;)

I saw this great summarize made by a user on Phoenxlabs about this Peerfactor issue:

1) slyck has now updated their story, read at the bottom of the story:

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1117

2) http://peerfactor.biz/ and (altavista trabslation) http://peerfactor.fr/

3) Comments about this by ludde(developer of µTorrent) on slyck:

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=270004#270004

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=270340#270340

4) Comments about this by Firon(administrator on µTorrent website):

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=269882#269882

5)People over at bluetack are immature and paranoid:

http://neuron2neuron.blogspot.com/2006/03/pg2-blocks-utorrentcom.html

You know, after all this controversy, I'm actually glad it happend because if it hadn't been for all this idiocy stuff, I never would have found out that bluetack is an organisation of dictators.

Now, if only slyck would write up an exposé of bluetack, I'm sure they've banned lots of

people who got on their "wrong side" in the past, just take a look at their forums and

you'll see what stalinist methods get's used in there.

Archived